NASCAR 2012 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2012

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Dec 15, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #126 Whisky, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ron, I had the SAME problem back in the 80's shooting a College World Series game.
    I was using a 300 2.8 or a 400 2.8 - don't recall which - when I saw the picture below happen in front of me. It happened pretty quick, the scoreboard had changed, the coach walked out of the frame, it would have been a much better shot if I got his feet in it, but I was limited to what I could do, my back was against the wall. Do note the count on the scoreboard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    #127 Str8shooter, Mar 10, 2012
    In honor of wrecking himself out of contention, here's a shot of KB. :D

This is not how it came out of the camera. He was talking to someone that caught the edge of the frame.
    I cropped this in PS and the reason his feet are not showing is they were obstructed by some garage equipment.

Lots of different reasons behind cropping and having never used a monopod it never occurred to me its restrictions when
    being faced with sudden adjustments to get a fleeting shot. I learned something new today :)

3. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #128 4re Nut, Mar 12, 2012
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/11/2013-nascar-dodge-charger-sprint-cup-car-unveiled-in-las-vegas/

press release...

Probably partially due to the red paint but looks more aggressive (a good thing) than the new Fusion IMHO...

4. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its some darn good photography, they lined the sun reflections up pretty darn good. From other pictures I've seen, it hasn't looked as good.

5. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://wot.motortrend.com/has-chevrolet-just-confirmed-a-civilian-caprice-ppv-for-2013-179299.html#ixzz1p2YSR57R

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    return of the Monte Carlo?

7. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    or the Lumina? :eek:

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Caprice?

Chevette?

lots of crappy potential answers.

9. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    El Camino!

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that would be awesome in the truck series :D

11. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Wurd. :cool:

12. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #137 4re Nut, May 17, 2012
    http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/ss/2014/2014-chevrolet-ss-confirmed.html

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  15. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.nascar.com/news/120605/dreutimann-to-replace-kubusch-pocono/index.html

The elder KB is going to end up in late models and/or doing appearances at dirt tracks if he can't straighten up. :rolleyes:

16. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Talk about a fall from grace.

Mr. Clean-Cut, all American boy Penske driver now
    reduced to driving for an unsponsored minnow team.
    It's starting to rival Jeremy Mayfield's tragic demise.

Evidently, to some people, the golden egg just isn't
    good enough. Some attitude these Busch boys seem
    to have.

BHW

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Interesting point of view from Smoke, http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8018102/jeff-burton-says-kurt-busch-outburst-hurts-sport

"... Three-time champion Tony Stewart defended Busch's comments, made to Bob Pockrass of Sporting News, that his probation for a May 12 incident at Darlington kept him from "not beating the sh-- out of you right now because you ask me stupid questions."

"I'll be honest, I liked (Busch's) answer," Stewart said Tuesday on Sirius XM NASCAR radio. "I kind of thought it was good when it pertains to Bob Pockrass. Bob's a decent guy. But there's just so many good things to write about in our sport.

"There's a couple of reporters that strictly want to be tabloid journalists. Unfortunately, he's one of them."

Jeff Burton took the opposite stance when asked on Wednesday about Busch's comments before Stewart's charity race at Eldora Speedway.

"Kurt's talent is unquestioned," Burton said of the 2004 Cup champion. "Kurt's instinct to step away last winter to get his head on straight and come back was probably correct. I think our sport needs people like Kurt, but when Kurt is good Kurt.

"When he does things like this past weekend, that's not good for him, our sport or anybody."..."

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    No talk of where Matt K might end up racing next year?

JGR in the #20, and Joey gets new sponsor/race number as a 4th car?(Or Matt K goes to JGR, as a new race # for the team)

MWR in the #55?

Penske Racing in the #22?

Penske will be with Ford next year, so Matt K keeping within the brand makes me think the #22 is a possibility.

I could easily see Home Depot sponsoring Matt K. I also think he'd do well in the Penske organization. The #55 I don't see as being as likely as the other two, but possible.

Any other scenarios I'm missing? Gibbs didn't deny anything about Matt K coming to JGR, didn't confirm anything either.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  20. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Bruton Smith is a promoter and wants excitement to sell tickets to his tracks.

Carl Edwards is a competitor and wants to keep it a legitimate competition.

Carl Edwards gets it right with his response and for the record, NASCAR has said they are not interested in Bruton Smith's proposal of mandatory cautions. Contrary to what many would like to believe, NASCAR isn't run by a bunch of dummies and has arguably one of the worlds greatest and most successful racing series. They've already experimented with mandatory cautions with their All Star Race format and taken note of the results.

BTW, I'll be at Daytona tomorrow and its going to be a fun way to spend the day :)

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sadly, though, whenever NASCAR (or the NFL for that
    matter) is at a crossroads between sport and show, they
    always choose show.

Bruton Smith's advocacy of "more manufactured drama"
    is resonating in the fake wood panelled walls in Daytonner.
    And, even when drivers like Edwards or Tony Stewart speak
    out against watering down the sport, they have to go along
    with it, otherwise they're sanctioned with more ballast, etc.

Every year, this comes up and when interviewed drivers and
    team principals are asked if NASCAR is a sport or show. And
    100% of the time, they answer "show".

When the major complaint from NASCAR fans is there
    aren't enough cautions, we know how far things
    have turned upside down.

BHW

22. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yikes, huge wreck near front of the field with 8 to go at Daytona.

23. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    And another "big one" in the last corner of the last lap!

24. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    Please allow me to define " sport " and " show " as it relates to NASCAR.

NASCAR has a big book of rules of which all teams must abide by. Nobody is given preferential treatment. There is no preconceived outcomes. The racing is not scripted. The fact that everyone must adhere to the rules is what makes it a competition.

If the NASCAR races where held in private with no media coverage or spectators it would be a competition. It is a competition because there is a common goal under a strict set of defined rules. When you make the competition public, add media coverage and want to sell tickets for live attendance you add other elements BESIDES the competition to make the event attractive and entertaining.

Yesterday I was at the race. In addition to the " competition " I walked outside turn four amongst the displays and souvenir trailers. I watched the pre race concert by the popular band Train. I stared at Robin Meade while she sang the National Anthem. An awesome B 52 bomber did a low flyby. I was captivated as the announcer told us what the four gentleman on stage did to receive their Congressional medals of Honor. Driver introductions with a chance to see them up close as they parade by the fence. I watched as Bobby Bowden told the drivers to " Start your dad-gum engines " and the crowd erupted in cheers and laughter. I watched the competition from my seat and what I couldn't see I watched on the giant TV provided for a better spectator experience. After the race I watched the fireworks.

The Competition PLUS all the the other side stuff I just listed combines to create a " show ". When a NASCAR driver says we or NASCAR put on a great show I'm 100% sure they are referring to the competition + the supporting pageantry as the show and not that the racing is preconceived or manipulated to create excitement like they do in TV wrestling.

If a rule is put in place and all teams must adhere to it, no matter what the rule is the integrity of it being a competition remains in tact. I welcome you to provide anything factual as to NASCAR manipulating the rules in a race to have a desired outcome that was unfair to only some of the teams.

As far as Bruton Smith goes, he is a racetrack owner and promoter. His goal is to fill his stands. He is not the voice of NASCAR. He needs NASCAR way more than they need him. There are plenty of people that would build a track if they could get a NASCAR date so Smith is expendable.

Watching the first long green flag run last night i began to wish a yellow would happen so it would tighten up the field and get some action going on the restart. But as a long time NASCAR fan with an insider's view I don't want to see a caution. I don't want to see anyone get hurt and I don't want to see teams get wrecked cars. I don't feel they should subject themselves to that kind of despair for my entertainment. I'm perfectly entertained by understanding the rules of competition and watching it play out before me. I'm entertained by the supporting pageantry that combines with the competition to create one of the greatest shows in sports.

Of course NASCAR listens to what fans want even if it is something superficial like wanting more cautions. The fans are the money behind NASCAR and it is in NASCARS's best interest to keep the fans interested and happy. They also want to keep the integrity of the sport. Like it or not they have been very successful at doing both.

25. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Don't kid yourself: EVERY sport is a 'show', from boxing to cycling to polo to rugby to motorsports and stick-and-ball sports, ALL 'PROFESSIONAL' sports are 'show'.

'Show' is what brings viewers and sponsors (aka TV ratings), which is what they all live on.
    You could also argue TV is what has jacked up the cost of all sports - I argue that all the time.
    Yes, it is a 'sport', but it is a sport in the confines of a 'show'.

You can argue all you want that you don't like the 'show', that you don't watch the 'show', but TV ratings prove otherwise. What sports were the most popular 40-50 years ago? What are the most popular today? Notice the difference? Times change, viewership changes, BUSINESS changes, that is the difference.