NASCAR 2017 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2017

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Jan 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you know what happened. this was part of carl's plan.

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Wrinkles in the fabric instead of being smoothed out are turning into holes.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    In the new "three stage" format they practically say they've made it more exciting by making it more complicated. I read about a paragraph and a half of the explanation before deciding......WTF?

They must be putting horse tranquilizer in the Monster Energy drink.....

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Whenever you see long time NASCAR fans/apologists state why they've given up on
    NASCAR, it nearly unanimously has to do with the absurd rules changes ("The Chase",
    the archaic points system, the insipid gimmicks, "Lucky Dog", "Timed Cautions", "Green-
    White-Checker Overtime", whatever, etc, etc, etc.).

They universally point out that NASCAR has sacrificed the sport in favor of the show. But, in
    doing so, the show has made NASCAR little more than a professional wrestling wanna be
    and watered it down to the lowest common denominator.

What has been forgotten in the deep dark fake wood paneled walls in Daytonner is that
    racing IS the show. And, they've deluded themselves into thinking that this latest debacle
    of breaking races up into segments is going to help them land a hip, new, young audience
    that their new title sponsor, Monster Energy, so desires while letting what is left of their
    fanbase flagging in the wind.

They think that these new fans (millennials with attention spans of an average moth) they're
    about to create are going to pay top dollar to pack their stands, watch each long, drawn-out
    boring race start-to-finish in person and on TV, buy all their NASCAR crap trinkets and licensed
    merchandise, and they're going to be sorely disappointed as just in GrandAm with their
    "Man on the Street" fans, these new fans will respond by staying away by the droves.

BHW

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #80 tervuren, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    We will see what the viewership numbers have to say.

I intend to make an effort to watch Phoenix providing other things do not get in the way. The Dayton 500 will be a thing to do if the weather is bad.

Unfortunately, if the number's aren't good, they'll discuss new ways to "make it more exciting", and continue deeper down a declining a road. For some reason, a lot of "new" direction's companies are taking right now, they can't see the problem, they think if they just hit the accelerator, and drive harder/faster in the wrong direction, some how it will fix it. Its not just NASCAR.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Screw it, at this point I am still in........just for the crashes and fights ;)

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Segment rules explained.

Like others, I get half a paragraph into this and my mind bends into uncomfortable new
    contortions.

We may just imagine the scene now in the paddock. Attending writers and photographers
    are run out of the media rooms to make space for a bunch of newly hired NASCAR **** kickers
    all sitting there counting their fingers trying to figure out what driver gets what points at the end
    of each stage while the tens of remaining fans have to wait for them to figure it all out
    as the next restart is further delayed.

The ensuing train wreck(s) begins next weekend.

NASCAR releases stage lengths and other race format details

BHW

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #83 GuyIncognito, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    hopefully NASCAR sees the opportunity to use the intermissions between segments as an opportunity for table and chair fights :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I am still trying to get "the chase" thing.......
    Is it 12 or 16 cars in the chase, or did they change it again before I even figured that out ?

Last night I heard a rumor about a special special pre pre kind of race on Saturday, as in tomorrow.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    They're basically playing to an audience that isn't smart enough to figure out professional
    wrestling and they wonder why their fan base is leaving?

BHW

11. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Some times your message gets a little done - not trying to put you down - but actually some of us still do enjoy the 500 and a few other races - and I,m actually pretty smart - just once in a while like to see the thread without all the dergrading comments - but you have your views

12. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    You know, I never did. I finally figured if NASCAR didn't really give a **** about a real championship, why should I? So I just took each race as it came, enjoying it for what it was.

Now it feels like they've even ****ed that up.

****it. I just want to see gladiators. Anybody wanna start a series where yellow flags don't exist, team uniforms are banned, and tires and fuel capacity are open.....any way you want to minimize pit stops is ok with us!:D

13. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I think the smarter minds are phasing out, and its not just NASCAR.

Big Corp's are trying to "make it more exciting", by adding "randomness", when what really drives the excitement, is the skill involved.

By denying the reward of the skill with mandatory resets, excitement dies.

I loved it up until 13 cars in a 12 car chase, and its been downhill since.

I still watch and enjoy races through the year, but this elimination format causes me to do my best to ignore points/championship completely. I can't follow the series.

It has the highest raw talent level of any racing series in the world, its frustrating to see it wasted on a devolving system.

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Luckily, Gordon's whiny ass isn't there anymore, giving Danica back the title of "Girliest girl in NASCAR"

15. 'Agree with all the above 'cept that last sentence. NASCAR has never had the "highest" talent level in any sector of the sport, be it driving, engineering, fabrication, or R&D. For starters, no comparison to F1 or Sports Prototypes. ;)
    I used to love it ('til about '85), still liked it ('til C.O.T.) and since then tolerate it 'cause I'll watch anything race...even human runners. :)

Maybe tonights Clash will be entertaining. ;)

16. </script>width:100%; height:250px" tabindex="1">
    Huh? Figure what out? It's real and it's G-R-R-R-R-E-A-T !!!!! :p

(just like where NASCRAP has gone and the rest following :mad: :()

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

lorenzobandini

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Actually I agree with Barton, the depth of talent is better right now in NASCAR than anywhere else in four wheeled motorsports. People from every American and a few international feeder series wants to go there, that's where the best pay days are, and that's where you see the fewest funded drivers buying rides.

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I do not (and emphasize DO NOT) take anything away from NASCAR drivers and anyone putting
    words into my mouth (as it were) and stating that I am attacking NASCAR drivers is a serious
    mis-intrepertation or simply an attempt to create hostility in our small ranks.

Anyone crazy enough to strap themselves into those bricks and go door-to-door lap after lap at
    200MPH must be respected. I grew up in Sebring, all well and good enough, so my earliest racing
    experiences were sports cars but I also attended a fair share of NASCAR races at Daytona and as
    a kid was a big fan of Richard Petty and actively followed NASCAR until perhaps the mid-80s.

That said, the NASCAR drivers have no say in the rules and/or the administration of the series.
    And, as pointed out ad nausea on this and other forums, the administration of NASCAR has
    seriously gone off the rails with all these insane rules in what may only be described as an
    attempt to kill the goose that has laid the golden egg.

Likewise, the heavy handed NASCAR administration punishes drivers and team owners whom
    dare to speak out against them. We've seen it time and again. No matter how absurd the
    new rules are, driver and teams remain mum for fear of losing their prime merchandise
    selling spots at the tracks or being handed down fines or other such punishment(s).

Personally, I've stayed out of the fray in this thread as much as entirely possible. But, when
    NASCAR comes along with this absurd notion that segment racing is going to garner them
    a whole new audience demographic, it is pure folly and further erodes racing as a whole
    to mere laughing stock which cannot be ignored.

BHW

19. The best paydays? The top teams operate on budgets that a few drivers in F1 receive as salaries.
    It's a retirement home for other drivers who want to continue racing from other series. To name a few: Sullivan, Montoya, Hornish, Piquet. What NASCAR drivers have transferred full time to other series?

As much as I knock those that continually knock NASCAR (one can always just pay it no mind), as always, I enjoy it for what it is because it's racing. I understand the lower technology is what it is and the round and round boredom is better for the unappreciative of road racing skill and visibility of the whole track. I can accept some things that aren't what I consider among the best. (NASCARs Grand Am lost me as that was just too big of a step backwards for me. I think, minimally, they're "headed" in the right direction this year)

I still love going to SCCA national events (though I had to miss last week's Sebring I was planning on) and that's not the upper echelon of racing by a long shot.

Again, it's all good. 'Strokes for folks and the like.... ;)

20. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? Hornish, Franchitti, Montoya, Sullivan, et al all fell flat on their faces. that says something about how difficult the cars are to drive, and how talented the drivers are.

as far as best paydays, there's 3-4 F1 guys that make the same level of money as most of the Cup grid. the rest of the F1 drivers bring buckets of cash to their teams ;)

21. "how many of those "retirement home" stars did anything in NASCAR? ."

And the reverse? Literally "anything" regarding NASCAR drivers even attempting full seasons in any other series? Did you consider how the teams of the drivers that transplanted to NASCAR did in general at the time? None too well. (Roush used to be a front runner. The past few years not so. Are all his drivers crap? I don't think so.)

22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    YES! Thank you. I get so sick of this pretentious notion that NASCAR drivers are on a lower tier than F1/openwheel/Sportscar/whatever drivers. I won't say that all those guys had top tier equipment, but Montoya was the most successful, and he was at the top side of mediocre and his NASCAR career was sort lived. How many other drivers were able to make a successful transition from open wheel to stock? Tony Stewart is all I can really come up with. Many Nascar drivers have raced pretty successfully in the Rolex 24, even this year with jackass Jeff Gordon pulling in a win. Michael Waltrip, Clint Bowyer to name a few more. And most of those guys also race dirt, bikes, offroad and other forms of racing too.

</rant>

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    what does that have to do with the price of pianos in Charlotte?

24. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I am a nascar fan, there I said it.
    When the green flag drops ANYTHING can happen, there are usually no "team" marching orders. I love watching a billionaire chew his finger nails down to his elbow as two of his drivers are trying to pass each other and win.
    In other top tier racing, if you start in position 1-2-3, there is a 90% chance you have your podium people at the end already established.
    I never understood a penalty in top tier racing for "aggressive" driving ???
    Gee buddy that car cost us millions, we need rules to protect it......NEVER touch another car, you will get a penalty.
    Other top tier racing is drink champagne, smoke a fancy cigar, have a well dressed (young) female with you and focus on being seen. I could care less who had the fastest time in sector 3 half way thru a race. Oh and bring your private jet or your 150 plus ft yacht.
    NASCAR in baseball hats, tennis shoes and blue jeans.......and cheap beer, and I drive the 1300 miles with my best friend to see the race.
    For $50 bucks I can almost get tickets for all 3 races in one weekend.
    Besides its American ;)

25. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Hey guys, I had no intention of causing any trouble or dissention in the ranks - just expressing my feelings