NASCAR 2017 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2017

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tervuren, Jan 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Did anyone watch the 75 lap race at Daytona today - I thought it was great - one of the better last lap races in a long time - great driving at 191 mph plus

2. At the yellow, I decided to take a nap. Who won? I'll catch the rest tomorrow.

3. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    The rain delayed time wasn't going to work for me, missed it.

4. Logano. Replays on FS1 & 2

5. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    F1 vs NASCAR, when it comes to the top drivers, is like comparing a master of the Erhu, to a virtuoso with the Violin.

The Erhu when compared to a Violen is a more archaic instrument; it has a smaller range of available notes, yet requires more control of the notes that it possesses in order to master. To achieve the highest level in either, is an equal accomplishment, they each have their respective difficulties. A master of one, is not automatically a master of the other should you hand the opposing instrument to them to play.

The primary difference, is that F1 has one virtuoso, Alonso; and two really really greats that in time will also qualify. The remaining truly great driver's could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

In NASCAR, the top level runs far deeper into the field than in F1.

There are some basic qualities to be successful in NASCAR, that if you did an extended shoot out in a variety of cars, FF, 4WDF, 4WDR, FW, MR, and RR, on both street and race tires, I believe that 7 of the top 10 would be from NASCAR, and that the top three would not have a WDC or CUP champion within it. I'd pick Daniel Ricciardo to be the #1 result overall. Kurt Busch, would probably be the highest placing champion of either series.

I also think Ricciardo would have the best shot of making it in NASCAR. Verstappen, hasn't learned to control tire wear. Ricciardo, can keep the car at the reasonable limit of tire wear without exceeding it, and its necessary to NASCAR.

6. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Agree, you think 5 laps from the checkered you know who has the cat in the bag and BAM...
    Everything changes in the last 1-2 laps.
    I can't wait til next Sunday ;)

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I don't agree with that at all. I think there are a handful of drivers
    that CAN BE true virtuosos in F1, but just like a symphony, they need to
    be given the opportunity to perform (they need to be on a good team/good supporting band)

Meh, in nascar I don't know how much you can really control tire wear
    on an oval. A road course is a different story.

Going back to my 'band' comment, do realize the team makes all the different
    in the world, and we all know this.

Jensen Button wasn't spectacular at all - until he was on Team Brawn, then he was a WDC.
    Nico Rosberg was on Williams..

Indy car racing - Rick Mears came straight from off-road racing, like the Baja 1000.
    Jeff Gordon came from Midget cars.
    Tony Stewart came from dirt racing-sprints, midgets, IIRC

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    #108 tervuren, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    There lies one of the biggest problems with a NASCAR driver going to F1, the gap between the team's is quite large these days.

The F1 guys couldn't afford to equally compensate the top NASCAR driver's either.

Tire management, is quite the crucial skill in NASCAR. The plate track's are exceptions, those are a hard compound tire with a different make up. You may not notice it, as the top driver's are proficient enough at it to make it appear a non factor. Tire management is however, tied to both setup, and driving. At Phoenix last year, the fall race, Joey Logano had a short duration setup, and it payed off given the continual stream of yellows. I like to watch the whole races, rather than just the last few laps, so perhaps that is why I notice the tire management in play when others do not. Watch the lap time data on Atlanta this spring; the tires provided by good year for that track cannot withstand even one single lap at full grip before traction falls off.

His height and build is against him as it would compromise the car design; but Ryan Newman would be one of the best candidates based on his abilities to succeed in F1.

9. (1) Surely you jest...? Which NASCAR driver has a salary of $20,000,000.00? (let alone the 40 Michael earned for about 10 years)? ;)

(2) The tire management on the high banks is far less (nearly nil) than on flat(ter) tracks as the load on them is close to vertical as opposed to lateral, as indicated by your Phoenix example. Drivers have control of how hard they "lean" on them on flat(ter) tracks as opposed to driving "around" a virtual "straightaway" of the high(er) banked ones. (The tires are not so much harder compounds as stiff(er) sidewalls for the banking; again for the increased vertical loading) ;)

(3) What is the impressive record of Newman's on road courses (or, for that matter, ovals) that makes you think he's such a candidate for F1? :confused: ('Nothing against Newman at all; I just don't see it)

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Atlanta is also very intensive on tires, as is Homestead. Its even evident at Charlotte.

Daytona, and Talledega, are the only two that come to mind immediately.

It's not the banking, its part of the formula requested by NASCAR, and at the plate tracks, NASCAR gives Good Year a different set of priorities. At those two tracks, NASCAR wants the tire to not really be a part of the equation.

11. It is the banking; always has been. In NASCAR, all the way back, and IMSA, when we (not me per se, I was in lowly GTU) started really poppin' 'em with the 934's and 935's and such. Thus the busstop for IMSA ifrom'83 on. The Gs created on the banking were too much unless a special tire was designed for Dayt. and Tall. (still talkin' IMSA) and that weren't feasible. NASCAR knew it long before as they ran at the terminal velocity (I don't know if true or not, but Greenwood supposedly clocked 240 into T3) for much longer than we did (mainly turn 4, 1& 2 'still accelerating; 3 just beginning to overheat).

But again, what do I know. I'm not a tire engineer. 'Just know what I experienced at the time.

12. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    You are trying to compare history when tire manufactures were trying to extract the most in competition with other tire manufacturers; to a time when NASCAR dictates non optimal design parameters regarding the linearity of grip asked/given, grip given from tire relative to grip available/temperature rise and temperature/grip available.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I understand and agree. and oh btw...the bishop days when the 934's and 935's were running loose....oh the good ole days!!!!!!

miss them terribly!!!!!!

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if, as she claims, she gets a concussion every time she crashes....she's had a lot more than 12 concussions.

:p

16. #117 lorenzobandini, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    I'd make a comment about her "head" but I'd best not. Prolly 'inspired by more of my needin' to get.....aaaahhh....never mind. :p ;) :D

(edit: I'd better stick to discussing tires... :))

17. :)

btw, I didn't fergit Charlotte in the real early days, but t'was before the pro'lems and prolly not as wasn't as the same sitch' as D & T.
    I posted before somewhere but if you haven't seen, a good site for perusing the good ol' days....been lookin' it over for years. Near the bottom of the page, "Database Race Results"; simple registratrion. I find it invaluable fer good memories (and not so good ;), don't let the addie fool you.):

Buy or sell a classic car : Ferrari, Maserati, Pagani... and look for chassis numbers

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #119 BartonWorkman, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I can think of a few who's...

He's got fierce inner drive to compete. He will get in something somewhere. He's the type of guy that stays two hours past the end of a karting event to get down to my lap time. I know why he's out, and I hope he finds a spot to get back in somewhere else than NASCAR.(Unless NASCAW puts the R back in NASCAR again.)

20. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    So what you're saying is that her fuel mileage win in Indy Car was directly related to her non concussion status at the time of victory??? If so then the rest of her racing career must be one continuous knock to the head! :D,

21. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Danica has a strong driving style of marks/points. It works in modern Indy Car, but not so great in NASCAR where you want to have a free-er driving style.

A strong gusting head wind up the back straight, and Danica still hits the brakes or lifts at about the same point; going into a corner with a head wind allows more braking, more turning, and you got to the turn with less speed that needs to be shaved.

She's fairly precise, just she lacks in the moment judgement that the top drivers possess. She can qualify fairly well, but over the steadily changing situation presented by the extended races in CUP, a drive by point thought process will continually leave performance on the table.

One other problem a drive by point driver gets into with NASCAR, is focusing too much on car placement puts additional heat into the tires, which means increased performance fall off over time. What happens, is a good NASCAR driver lets the car float a little with irregularities, they do not make corrections to try to force the car onto a set rail like path. A driver trying to drive too tight, instantly tries to get it back on path, and after the upset, the extra input puts them slightly farther down, which results in a need to go slightly father back up, repeat repeat. The better NASCAR drivers put in a smaller correction, and let the car float up a few inches from the desired path, this prevents heat build up in tires from sharp spikes into the redzone of a ratio of grip/heat generation. After whatever bump/gust knocked the car off path subsides, the smaller additional input will float the car back onto path.

With an Indycar driver, being able to do the same does make for faster lap times, but the speeds and cornering forces are such you can't really afford it, especially off a corner with an open tire brushing into a wall from letting it "Float" a little too much. I see the older guard of Indy car drivers pull this off when they were racing; but the new talent pool has moved to NASCAR. The current gen of Indy car driver's aren't as capable as the past generations. Those that really really have it get pulled by the deeper pockets of NASCAR.

The penalty of a wall brush in indy car is far higher than in NASCAR, so young Indy car drivers tend to focus more on placement/points when driving. Indy car also runs street circuits with inside/outside walls, placing the car on point is a critical skill on these tracks that isn't present in such a big way on a good deal of the NASCAR calendar.

22. #123 lorenzobandini, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    I don't see it.
    Running into a headwind allows for a tiny bit less braking as opposed to more, the resistance of the air aids in deceleration. And I don't see how it affects turn in or turning. In a hurricane maybe but.... ;)
    Is "float" synonymous with drift in your explanation as in your example of an Indy car coming off a corner? Float is the lateral movement due to loss of contact patch (or pressure thereon) on, let's say, a rough surface or the back side of a rise (when the car becomes "light").
    Drifting coming off a corner is controlled exceeding of the slip angles; the tires are still in contact with the surface with vertical pressure still consistent.....
    Float is not the same as drift. ;)

(edit: An uncontrolled either is called "an off".... :D )

23. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I don't take any pleasure in seeing this stuff. It's just when I hear/read things such as the
    "retirement announcement" my B.S. meter goes off the scale. And, of course in NASCAR,
    the B.S. is constantly flying from every direction.

Edwards is one among a number of NASCAR drivers I actually like. I don't wish ill to the guy,
    quite the opposite in fact. He along with another of my favorites, Greg Biffle, both spent way
    too long in the Roush camp.

BHW

24. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    It depends upon your perspective. As a racing mechanic it is an "all nighter ". And those do not make mechanics happy. It takes away from time with the "tarts". ;)