NASCAR 2018 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. What's "global warming"? Is that synonymous with "climate change" which has been taking place since the creation or whatever you believe it was? o_O

2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Bristol is about 5% of capacity......why so alarmingly low?

3. 'Weather's not helping any. 'Sure many thought it wasn't gonna go off.....

4. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    yeah that crowd was shockingly low, especially for Bristol. Meanwhile Long Beach for Indycar seemed like it always is, packed.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'll give Bristol a pass this year because of the terrible weather, but crowds are dropping off significantly in NASCAR. they were running radio ads all week in Jacksonville leading up to the Daytona 500 with ticket specials, to the point of one Daytona ad per commercial break. That race used to sell out weeks/months in advance.

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ha!

Try YEARS in advance Chas! Just like at Indy when people were putting their tickets in
    their wills to their children, the same was happening at Daytonner for the 500.

I was in college in Daytona Beach (Southeast Center for Photographic Studies) 1987-1989.

I may tell you that tickets were next to impossible unless you knew a local who had access. I knew
    someone who had just such access and while she was beautiful and I was nuts about her, she was
    like my best friend's girlfriend, but I digress.

She offered me tickets to the Daytonner 500 for $500/each, keeping in mind this was like 1988 and
    even then $1,000 was a bit much for me, I had to politely turn the deal down.

Lovely girl though, wonder what she's doing today. Last I heard she was a translator at the U.N.

BHW

7. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Years.

I know a family that has amassed over 125 tickets to it, over the years they have acquired them, I guess once you
    get them you have the right of first refusal, and they had been going there since it opened.
    Not sure if they have kept them all, but 15-20 years ago they were 'the' clearinghouse for tickets around here.

8. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    It seems "traditional" big sports are in general trending down.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the goals of the broadcasters not lining up with the people that want to follow sports games.

I suspect for NASCAR it is down to interference in the wrong places in addition to the above.

The superbowl has been trending down, it isn't just NASCAR.

While for NASCAR integrity may have been chimerical; yet it still had that illusion.
    At least for me, when it came to drivers and crew having their say integrity existed.
    Now the colors are gone, replaced by bland corporate roller brushing.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That or people are finally figuring out that NASCAR is a crashing borefest and all the endless
    hype of the host network(s), which no event may ever live up to, is a waste of time.

Having to put up with jackasses like the Waltrip brothers' endless blathering isn't helping their
    cause either.

We know that NASCAR pays attention to the TV numbers as their whole business model is
    tied to the amount of eyes watching the broadcasts and asses in the seats at the events.

NASCAR's wounds are all completely self-inflicted.

BHW

OhioMark likes this.
  10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    ALL sports are trending down, except for maybe soccer, which is still 'waffling' in the USA, it
    cannot decide if it wants to grow or not.

The reason(s) for sports dropping (IMO) are name recognition.
    Ten years ago you could ask common folks on the street to name an F1 driver, and you MIGHT have
    gotten a 'Schumacher', today I doubt you get anyone.
    Pro Football? Hmmm, Tom Brady, maybe Peyton Manning?
    NASCAR you would have gotten Dale Earnhardt (Sr), today I don't know who you would get, IF ANYONE.
    Indycar? forgetaboutit, if you are lucky you might get Mario Andretti or AJ Foyt, but even Foyt is all-but gone
    from folks' memories, as is Richard Petty.
    Basketball? You might get LeBron James - maybe - but I'd bet you would still get Michael Jordan...
    Baseball? I have no idea who even plays today, but I could name you a few hundred from the 70's and 80's.

It's ALL about what you watched as you are growing up, and kids simply don't watch like they used to...

You think pro sports are declining now, just wait 20 years...

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think there's a lot of merit to that argument.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    This...

BHW

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    +1 If this isn't the truth!

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Slightly off-topic, but am I the only one annoyed by Fox putting the leaderboard along the leftside margin of the TV, instead of across the top or bottom of the screen? Their style results in a 4:3-ratio image-area, which bugs the crap out of me! Can't wait for NBC to take over mid-season.

15. Oh, waaaaahhhhh. :(

Back in "the day" we didn't git jack..... :eek:

'Hadda wait for Wide World of Sports (maybe...) or magazines 2-3 months later so 'don't wanna hear it. :p

16. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I'll put you down as a "no."
    If you long for the good old days then, what are you doing on a computer?

17. Simple....longing for the good ol' days. :)

Just 'cause you 'aven't a clue, doesn't mean it ain't so. :p:)

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Instead of calling him clueless, you could have ignored his post if you didn't want to hear the complaint about broadcast formats. Please try to be a little more gentlemanly.

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    +1

20. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Thanks, Andrew and Rob.
    He thinks he's being funny, despite the emojis. He's not.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  21. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Oh boy...now we get to see another series get dumbed down and mindless. I so look forward to the next ideas coming from the " fake wood paneled walls" of NASCAR. If this keeps up and all this excitement continues.....I may just put my proctology exam up on You Tube for all of F-Chat to see. It was far more exciting than watching Mr France make the big decisions.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree for the most part except in regards to the NBA. The NBA is doing well and that's because they put out a good product and their games don't take all day. The two biggest names in the game are Steph Curry and LeBron James. Many people know them of all ages.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/04/25/the-2017-18-season-was-great-for-the-nba/#2663202e2ecb

The solution for getting viewers is easy: make a good product and market it well. Don't overhype and don't make a snooze-fest.

I am a big NBA fan so I have some bias, but factually the stuff I said does hold up based on the above article. :) Some great playoff games will be on tonight and it's still the first round...