NASCAR 2018 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2018

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Actually 'wasn't trying to be funny with the emojies. 'Just tryin' to tone down my seriousness.

Nonetheless, I'll try hard in the future not to hurt anyone's feelings. I thought "we" were tougher than that. My apologies sincerest.

2. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    In this day and age of smart phones, it would make more sense to not have positional graphics on the screen and let people pull up their own position data.

As I do not have a smart phone, my personal preference is scrolling on the top. The top three and flashing another three was a bad format.

I think I did walk by a race some time this year on TV, and find the left side graphics to be in the way of the action. This is because the shots from the cameramen were not being framed for the graphic.

When I ran camera for live production I would frame my shots based on the graphics that would be overlayed.

3. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    Has the Nascar season started yet?

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    start?

it never ends :p

5. It still exists??? I thought it (sport of racing as opposed to an infomercial/show) disappeared aboot 20 years ago. It did for me. ;)

OhioMark likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Majority owners explore the sale of NASCAR --> Reuters

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    who are the realistic buyers?

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    good one Chas, I honestly do not know.:) The France family is looking to sell after what.....50 or 60+ years of running it???

9. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Who would buy a dog with fleas ?

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    a Chinese restaurant?

seriously though, I think they're selling at least 10 years too late.

I'm not sure who the non-institutional buyers would be (hedge fund, sovereign wealth fund, etc). I doubt any media outlet would buy them at a price the France family would take.

maybe a rich guy who thinks an NFL team is old hat? a consortium of existing team owners?

11. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I don't see anyone purchasing a dying industry. It might be something Comcast might look at, but if they can't make a profit in the short term to cover the cost, it's going to simply go by the way of the horse and buggy. Same for the open wheeled version of "parity racing". All things do come to an end. Just sooner than people thought.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Now that the cat's outta the bag...

NASCAR's ownership group offers no comment on reports of a potential sale of the sanctioning body-->per Autosport.

13. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    It is pathetic that Bill France's descendants have cooked the golden goose. Greed, Family divisiveness and Political correctness guaranteed its demise.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  15. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Well....since Goldman Sachs is part of this deal, we could make this a taxpayer bailout and let the "little people" pick up the tab again for the stupid decisions of those who can't run a business. They sold the first one with no problem, so I don't see them not trying to run this up the flag pole. Paulson sold it the first time so they should bring him in to pitch it.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Vince McMahon will turn NASCAR into a WWE who's who's on the cars....I can see this happening.

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

simply put...danica Patrick largely responsible for killing nascar. in their effort and insistence to make her relevant since being competitive on her merits was not happening. nascar over used the lucky dog to give danica a way to stay on the lead lap. the competition caution...over used by nascar in order to help danica stay on the lead lap if the lucky dog did not work. ah then...the stage races. this was rolled out by nascar as the lucky dog or comp caution were by no means fool proof...this enabled danica to get three changces for a lucky result.

there you have it...that muppet is gawn but not fergotten. she indirectly done kilt nascar.

18. Oh.

NASCAR was fizzlin' long before Danica. CoT, and earlier odds and ends, (otherwise known as evening the playing field) were the beginning of the end.

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It was dem dere furrin' Toyoters that done did NASCAR in.

20. But of course...! Dang furrin'ers..... :mad:

What WUZ I thinkin'..... :rolleyes:

:)

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I think Shad Khan would be a great buyer....made a fortune in auto parts, owns (and turned around) the Jaguars- the closest NFL franchise to Daytonner, owns other international sports properties.

the fact that he's a Pakistani-born Muslim would just be fun :)

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Now now now gentlemen, we all know why Mr France wants to sell this thingy. He just hasn't gotten the number that makes him warm and fuzzy. Problem is when your stands are empty and the outgoing revenues are exceeded by the incoming revenues, the buyers are simply waiting for it to hit bottom. Kinda like Elon thinking he is going get himself out of his hole. Both need bit of a reality check.

23. Oooooppppsss.... (see pm TP)

24. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I think it is hilarious to see some of the 'classic' game replays, where they keep score on flip-cards,
    before graphics were ever invented.

Which made NO sense to me, other than to possibly put more series events together at more
    of their tracks so they don't sit idle 50 weeks out of the year.
    I hope they didn't pay much for it, but it WAS a great series - 25 years ago.

Ok, I might agree 'some' people on the street may know 3 or 4 names, but I am talking cities
    that do NOT have a (sports) franchise for a given sport. I think in most cities like that you won't
    get a lot of positive replies.
    You may know a bit about basketball, but I'd bet you if I asked someone to name me a player on
    Toronto, Utah, Indiana, Minnesota, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, etc. you will get zip for an answer.
    Of course there is LeBron, but beyond that, Steph Curry seems to be more hurt than healthy, and
    when he is healthy he isn't putting up 35 points a game like he used to, and if he is, GS is not hyping
    it. You may get a stray Durant, Nowitzki, Harden name thrown at you - maybe.
    Name a player in the NHL? I don't think you would get anyone named.

Who is the boxing heavyweight champion of the world? No idea.
    Name 3 of the top 20 in men's tennis? can't do it. (i'd only say Federer and maybe Nadal)
    For a thousand dollars name me two current WNBA players, and I feel the money safe in my wallet...

Nobody watches sports anymore, outside of football, and PGA golf if someone they know is
    in the hunt. Double that number if Tiger is within 4 strokes of the leader.

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Boogity. Austin Dillon. Chase. Michael W. Car of Tomorrow. In the words of Tom, give em all some place to go. ;).