NASCAR discovers "roval racing" | FerrariChat

NASCAR discovers "roval racing"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Gatorrari, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I watched the last 10 laps of the road race at Daytona. I've always said that NASCAR needs to do more road-course events, and now that they've discovered "rovals" - Charlotte, Indianapolis and Daytona - the racing is quite entertaining, better (IMO) than the F1 and Indycar races held on the Indy road circuit. Let's see what happens when they return to a normal schedule, hopefully next year.

I'm certain they were hootin' and hollerin' in the Dawsonville Pool Room as Chase held off Denny to win the race. I once drove my Ferrari there and had a great $2.50 hamburger!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Caught parts of the Daytona event.

Frankly, the cars looked absolutely pedestrian on the track compared to IMSA.

Since NASCAR knew the Cup cars would be thoroughly embarrassed by comparative
    lap time vs. IMSA, they decided to throw an extra chicane on the lead up to S/F, so no
    direct comparisons.

Cagey move, someone in the deep dark, work paneled walled offices in Daytonner should
    consider running for office.

Question though. Noticing this lately on the Cup cars, there are small white and red tabs in
    the radiators of the cars. What are these things and what is their purpose?

BHW

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Agree

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they said it was for safety but I agree, it was to negate lap time comparisons.

I think what you're referring to is pull tabs to remove pieces of tape that block off the radiator.

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, they're really raising blocking off the radiators to a fine art now, huh?

Makes sense though. Thanks.

BHW

GuyIncognito likes this.
  6. I didn't catch the explanation but wouldn't have believed it anyway. How would it be less safe than 70 car fields that were going much faster in the original IMSA/WSC days prior to the bus stop which increased their speed off T-4?
    Or, why is it not there for even when NASCAR uses just the oval if it's for "safety"?

One of those rare occasions I have to agree with ya' BW, more NASCAR BS......they would make fine politicians with their jive-arse diversions.... :)

GuyIncognito likes this.