NASCAR who dat? | FerrariChat

NASCAR who dat?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rob lay, Feb 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    watching the Busch Light Clash so I haven't watched NASCAR in 5+ years. there are a bunch of no names racing it now.

Big Time
    Kevin Harvick
    Kyle Larson
    Brad Keselowski
    Chase Elliott
    Denny Hamlin
    Ryan Blaney
    Kyle Busch
    Martin Truex Jr.
    Joey Logano
    Kurt Busch

I've Heard Of
    Chase Briscoe
    AJ Allmendinger
    Bubba Wallace
    Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

Who Dat
    Ross Chastain
    Austin Cindric
    Austin Dillon
    Corey LaJoie
    Tyler Reddick
    Aric Almirola
    Ryan Preece
    Chris Buescher
    William Byron
    Justin Haley
    Michael McDowell
    Todd Gilliland
    Cole Custer
    Ty Dillon
    Erik Jones
    Christopher Bell
    Harrison Burton
    Alex Bowman
    Cody Ware
    Landon Cassill
    BJ McLeod
    Daniel Suarez

Ryan S. likes this.
  2. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Cindric is Roger Penske's long time right hand man's son....racing for a Penske team.... most of the others I've heard of and I do not watch NASCAR.

The Clash was a total embarrassment. 37.5 total miles of racing and they stopped the race half way for an Ice Cube(LA rapper?) concert.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    NASCAR is now like F1 and Indy, best way to get to the top is having a rich or connected dad. the on-air product has suffered accordingly

Clash was OK, short track demolition derby fun but they tried wayyyyyy too hard to make NASCAR look "diverse" (Ice Cube and Pitbull performances, lowriders, etc)

and yes I know Pitbull is a part owner of a team.

Whisky and rob lay like this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Tuned in for a few minutes to see what the debacle looked like and pretty much as predicted,
    a train of cars all nose to tail and the second one stepped out to pass, crash, bang. Top speeds,
    which the FOX Sports wankers didn't seem to be interested in discussing were reported to be
    an average of 66MPH/lap (touching 80MPH at end of straights and 40MPH in the turns).

Seems like a lot of wasted resources to send teams, transporters, cars, spare cars, etc. all the
    way out to L.A from Charlotte for what amounted to an extended media appearance. Wonder
    how many were there for the "racing" vs. the concerts.

Given the fact that the Super Bowl is in L.A. next week, is this NASCAR taking a shot across
    the bow at one of their favorite business models, the NFL? Sure seems likely given the amount
    of media that are already in town, guaranteed there was a lot of arm twisting to get bored beat
    writers to come out and see the train wreck.

Now, the teams must caravan all the way across the country to Daytona to get the season underway
    formally. It all just seems rather ludicrous given that NASCAR are talking about how "green"
    they are lately.

It all would have been far more interesting if they had been running go-karts.

BHW

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    off the top of my head:

Who Dat
    Ross Chastain
    Austin Cindric - son of Penske president Tim Cindric
    Austin Dillon - grandson of RCR owner Richard Childress
    Corey LaJoie - son of Randy laJoie (former Busch series racer)
    Tyler Reddick
    Aric Almirola
    Ryan Preece
    Chris Buescher
    William Byron - trust fund kid w/ Liberty University backing
    Justin Haley
    Michael McDowell
    Todd Gilliland - son of David Gilliland (former racer/team owner)
    Cole Custer
    Ty Dillon - grandson of RCR owner Richard Childress
    Erik Jones
    Christopher Bell
    Harrison Burton - son of Jeff Burton (former Cup driver)
    Alex Bowman
    Cody Ware - father owns multiple race teams in NASCAR, Indy, IMSA
    Landon Cassill
    BJ McLeod
    Daniel Suarez - backed by Carlos Slim

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    There are a lot of new names in NASCAR and that's okay.

We can't expect the old guys will race forever and they make way for the next generation. To NASCAR
    it keeps the PR machine going and we'll need to look no further than qualifying in Daytonner to see who
    the next big name is when he "wins" pole position and grabs all the headlines.

They come up the usual way, local short track circuits, entry level stock cars, sprint cars and eventually
    to Xfinity AKA Grand National. Doubt seriously that anyone is out there that doesn't have at least some
    chops already.

To NASCAR's credit, they are trying some new things and that's okay too. This deal in LA was an experiment
    and they'll likely do some more strange things to gain attention. At least they're no longer mired in their old
    way of keeping the same schedule year after year, shaking things up with more road courses, etc.

The problem is with all the gimmickry, NASCAR is on such a slippery slope that there may be no way back
    again.

BHW

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    If you took 5+ years off of F1, would you recognize the majority of the field?

tritone and kylec like this.
  8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if it was the last 5, yes you would :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  9. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I liked that NASCAR tried this.I think it will be the model for a handful of races going forward.

they finally figured out that taking the races to the people (i.e. Long Beach Grand Prix) works better than making the people trek to the outskirts of an area (i.e. Fontana).

Cup needs more short tracks.

This format is "old school" (heat races and LCQ) but worked reasonably well on TV.

the gimmicks, and the trying too hard attempt to look relevant, were the weak spots.

(some people were complaining about the camera locations and cuts on TV, but I didn't think it was any worse than other NASCAR short track broadcasts)

rob lay likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I thought the racing was pretty good, that's what I care about.

11. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    I understand that F1 has become so enamored with NASCAR that they are considering competition cautions towards the end of the race to make things more interesting.

12. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Yikes! Where did you hear that?

william likes this.
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The LA race was a joke. The Clash should be and always has been a preview of how the cars will run in the 500. For the race in the LA coliseum they couldn't even run the entire field. The 25 lap, 6 minute heats the day before were pathetic. Average speed/lap about 60mph. Looked like a drifting contest. Should have made the track a circle and put tethers on the cars. :D Wha's next, a figure 8 race. :eek: I watched the first TV NASCAR races in 1960. How far NASCAR has fallen. New cars/rules makes NASCAR basically what IROC was. Can you imagine is INDY car or F1 pulled such a stunt? Not to mention I got dizzy watching it. :confused:

Turbopanzer likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I was never a good NASCAR fan except road races, but I LOVED IROC!!!

Hawkeye likes this.
  15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    IROC was great. It was always fun to watch some uppity wing-car driver get stomped by a redneck from Alabama on a road course :)

Jack-the-lad and rob lay like this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I always cheered for the road guys, in NASCAR guys like Said and Fellows would do really well with 3rd rate teams, but they never really dominated races.

17. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    complete tangent, but Martin Brundle has a few good stories about him running IROC and how pissed off Terry Labonte was that he won a race :)

(starts around 41 minutes or so)

18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It was a gimmick for sure.

19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Wow, you have been out of the game if you haven't heard of those guys. Michael McDowell is my driver (he has been my #2 for years, but now that Bowyer retired...), he's always been an underdog that raced for smaller teams, but had a breakout year last year, winning the DAYTONA 500 and turning more top-10s than anytime in his career. Should have won Talladega also but Harvick pushed Brad K. Hoping for another strong performance this year.

Of course, it doesn't surprise me that you didn't know that, since even in this year's 500 promos the feature the extremely UNTALENTED BUBBA NO-WINS WORTHLESS PIECE OF **** WALLACE non-stop (yes, I know he "won" Talladega last year as a gift from Nascar for reasons unmentioned here)

rob lay likes this.
  20. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I know most of the drivers probably because I always watch the Daytona 500. I couldn’t watch the Coliseum thing for more than two minutes. Ugly and ridiculous. Go karts wouldn’t have helped. ;)

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Read elsewhere that NASCAR likely moved The Clash away from Daytonner due to lack
    of attendance in recent years and the event had lost its shine.

All well and good but making the teams traverse the entire country to make a point in a major
    medie market like LA is rather a stunning admission that an event the size and tradition of
    The Clash shows their constant tinkering of the rules and other nonsense isn't working.

They're touting that the Coliseum event had 70% capacity and big TV numbers. So, there were
    more people there than was predicted but how many of those seats were give aways? Guessing
    that the attending spectators and TV viewers were there for the novelty and once that wears
    off they'll be off to another venue in major media market.

At least they're trying some things as revising the schedule, adding new venues, etc. must have
    the effect of eliminating the monotony of their set-in-stone schedule they'd been running year after
    year for eons.

Friends and I were recalling that not long ago, the NASCAR teams caravans would be lined up
    on International Speedway Boulevard and DIS waiting for the end of the 24 Hours and the minute
    the IMSA teams cleared out, they'd move in for their two week stay in Daytonner.

BHW

23. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    IIRC, there used to be a "private test" the week before qualifying at Daytona, which ended some time ago. that would bring the teams to Daytona the day after the 24

Clash, Duels, 500, Truck, ARCA and Xfinity is a lot of plate racing for one week. no wonder the Clash lost its appeal. plate racing is pretty boring until they destroy half the field.

the logistics of NC to CA to FL then back to west coast is rough, but it's not that much difference than how the schedule usually is later in the year.

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yeah, I was in college in Daytona Beach for a couple of years and back then the NASCAR teams
    were testing there constantly, practically year-round. Notably, Ken Schrader was always there
    testing for Hendrick, he had to be logging some serious flight time as he'd be racing in California
    one day and back in Daytonner testing the next.

They had a section of the grandstand cordoned off so spectators could go in and watch and they'd
    post a schedule of who was coming in next so we always knew who'd we be seeing. One of
    my classmate buddies was a NASCAR fan and so we'd head over and spend hours in the stands
    watching one or two cars go roundy-round, time better spent on college work perhaps.

One of my racing buddies was at Volusia Speedway last night for the sprint car races. Looks
    like a few big names showed up for it.

BHW

Attached Files:

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians