need a "grocerie getter" for $25k | Page 2 | FerrariChat

need a "grocerie getter" for $25k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 348 Turbo, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Agree on the WRX wagon. We have owned one for several years, gave it to my folks recently. Straight out of the box, with a short-shifter, rallye gauge package, nice seats and wheel; added a boost adjustment valve and little else. Thing handles all sorts of weather and roads; basically bulletproof- used it as our "errand" car, my wife would haul stuff, stop and go shopping duty, etc. I do think the car would be fatiguing if you were driving it great distances, though, and its not really built for super-sized Americans. Other than that, i can't think of a better combination of practical, reliable and fun to drive at that price. (Its a hoot to drive, and has no torque without boost; but, its like those bumper cars at the amusement park; from the moment of "Go," you just keep your foot down).

3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    How about a '99 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel. Fast, reliable and 36 m.p.g.

Scott

4. Liquid

Liquid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Doylestown, PA
    Out of all your options the S2000 is hands down the best looking car from an aesthetics point of view. You can get in a new one for 33K. I purchased mine brand new in Aug. of '01 & have had no regrets since. I have lots of knowledge on the S2000 so if you have any questions about it feel free to ask & I'll be happy to reply.

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks for the reply. I know where ther is a beautiful 2000 model s2000. The car has only 30k on it and is near flawless. I could get it for under 20.
    How true are the sories of high road noise?
    Thanks.

6. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    great idea. I'll look into it. how much $ ?

7. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    I've got over 70K miles on my WRX wagon and plan on keeping it for a long time. In all honesty, for what I have put into it in aftermarket items (and there is waaay more than what I have done) I could have gotten an STi. However, the STi didn't exist at the time and they still don't have it in the wagon body style that I prefer.

I agree that you should also look at the Legacy GT if you want AWD. Personally, if you don't need the AWD, I would take a serious look at the G35 Coupe. It is a much more refined car than the WRX, has decent power and handling, you can get it with a six speed and huge Brembo brakes, and it looks good too.

For more info on the WRX (and STi, Forrester XT, and Legacy GT), check out www.nasioc.com

Larry

8. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    My advice would be to try and drive whatever you are considering for as long a period of time as possible. Myself and others I know have test driven a car for 10-20 minutes only to find that after a longer drive the car is not very comfortable for whatever reason.

Out of the cars you listed I would go for the 3 series. In my opinion the 330ci is an all around great car. It feels great and is fun to drive but is also quiet and comfortable. The s2000's are really fun cars but after having a convertable as my only car for years I have come to appreciate having quiet car.

9. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott

They usually sell for the mid to upper 20s. Here's an excellent one on e-bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4504834101&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I belong to a diesel forum (currently have a MB diesel) and this guy has a pretty good reputation of selling excellent MB diesels. I can't say enough good things about these cars. They are elegant looking, solid, powerful and get excellent fuel mileage. What else can you ask for?

Scott

10. Liquid

Liquid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Doylestown, PA
    Road noise in the S2000 w/ the top up isn't that bad, top down of course is much louder. It all depends what rpm your at, below 6K is moderate but above 6K is def. pronounced. The stock Bridgestone SO-2's for the most part are pretty quiet also. If your worried about road noise go for the oem hardtop. I have one & its def. much quieter inside the cabin w/ the hardtop on as opposed to the soft-top. If your looking at a '00 or '01 S2000 they did not come w/ the glass window soft top so that means your getting the plastic rear window soft top which can be kinda tough in the winter due to no rear defrost. The hardtop has a rear defrost & you will get a switch wired in your center console for the defroster. If your looking at '02+ S2000's they all come w/ glass window soft tops w/ defrost.

If you have any other questions I'll be more than happy to reply.

11. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Just a quick look at the "numbers"
    for starters, I could judt keep pumping gas in the yukon that I've been driving daily, It would likely end up costing me no more than $75 /mo. after all things are accounted for. I guess I'd loose that in depreciation, and I'd have anouther vehicle to worry about. If I got the s2000 for CHEAP, it might be worth it, but otherwise, the I think I'd loose by buying another vehicle just to drive around while my Yukon sits idle.
    thoughts?

12. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    Just get a Z06!! it has some room in the trunk to put some suff in there(im not going to specify what).

13. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    You could also consider the EVO. The 4G63 2.0L motor is a great motor and comes in a state the is capable of ~600hp on stock internals. You can buy the 03 models for around $25K.

But if you wanted to spend about $8K more, you could get the EVO MR due to come out in 05. With a 6sp trans geared lower for better acceleration as well as with a new suspension, MR rims, aluminum roof, and Advan tires, larger turbo, Super AYC, 4.7 sec 0-60, and a 0.98 skidpad.

Honestly, for both the performance and daily driving ability, you really cannot beat the MR.

14. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Thanks for the link, Scott.
    I looked it over, carefully. It is quite an interesting option. I am concerned about the high mileage. I've never owned a Benz before, so I'm asking you to give me the straight scoop. How big a concern is the high mileage? Keep in mind, I plan on PILING ON THE MILES. and driving the car daily, leaving it outside most of the time. It would need to be able to withstand quite bit of punishment!
    How much would it cost to have the engine REPLACED? How about the rest of the drivetrain? Transmission concerns? Brakes? How about those high mileage bearings? Front end stuff? What are the weak points?
    The car is nice looking. I live in Memphis, where it is currently located. I'd like to have a look in a few days. I need a quickie education.
    Thanks.

15. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    To me this car looks great.
    I appreciate all the input on the Subaru's. I'm sure they're great littel cars, as I hold the opinions of this group in high esteam; but, I've decided against them. The wife can't stand the looks, and frankly, I'm just a bit concerned about the flack I would take from my colleages. I am 41 years old. I'd be like that strange old man driving the newest, coolest Camero was back in 1981. Everyone just thought he was such a weirdo, me included.
    I'm looking at Benz's.
    How about this one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6335&item=4504882002&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

16. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    I'd like to add to...

2005 Acura RSX Type S
    Acura Integra Type R (if you can find one)

Both can be daily drive grocery getter, the former has a lot more creature comforts and more liveable suspension.

17. FIAutoSports

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    FYI, I have a friend trying to get rid of her BMW 635 CSI L6. It is an 87, runs great, looks great. There is a small dent on the hood and scratch. but other than that, it is perfect. And I am going to be replacing some switches in it this week to get everything working perfect. It is an auto btw. Picures have been taken, but I am waiting for them to be emailed to me.

asking $3500.

18. Vibrant_5oh

Vibrant_5oh Karting

Apr 18, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Chrysler 300C. I like the styling, interior space since its a full size, luxury equipment and ride (something you won't get in WRX, STi, EVO, 350z, rx8 which ride stiffer), and the 5.7L Hemi with its 340hp and 390lb-ft of tq should provide plenty of punch. Its got that cylinder deactivation tech and fuel economy is a decent 17city mpg and 25hwy mpg which is comparable to 350z, rx8, STi, EVO, etc...

Overall, it's a lot of car for your money and it's priced inline with the 350z you're considering. If you've got a bit more dough, and live up north (snow), the new AWD option is probably worthwhile.

Personally, a 300C would be what i'd pick for a daily driver.

19. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    I absolutely loved the RX8 when I drove them. I tested both the manual and automatic transmission cars. Both were fun, extremely well balanced, nicely handling cars. The paddle shifters in the automatic RX8 worked perfectly, but there just wasnt a lot of torque there. Acceleration was a bit sluggish. For a daily driver, however, I think it would be more than adequate! Go test drive a couple!!

20. FIAutoSports

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    I do not think that anyone has mentioned the new G35. Great car. Lots of leg room, backseat, same motor as the 350Z (a few horses less for 03, but that has been bumped up twice now for each MY, up to 290hp).

You could get a loaded G35X for maybe around $36K, which is 290hp, adjustable AWD, 4 doors, etc. Much nicer car than the EVO or STi, even the 350Z I think.But I prefer the G35C.

21. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    This deserves some consideration. I'll have a look.
    I have noticed that the prices in the thread have crept up! I need to keep them way lower than we're currently looking at. Say 20-25K. 36k, just too much, (unless I want to get rid not only of my Titan, but my 348 too!)

22. FIAutoSports

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    Price creep= my fault. Sorry!

Around 20K-25K.... you would be lucky to get an 03 G35 for that little. The resale value on those cars is almost sticker, it is unreal.

Oh, what about the SRT-4 from Dodge? Not sure if anyone mentioned that. It has 230hp (actually dyno 230whp that, the 03's were rated for 215hp and dyno'ed ~220whp). 4 door, FWD turbo, OEM Quaife LSD, and manufacturer backed upgrades (MOPAR). New ones you can get for about $21K, but being this is the end of the MY, you could probably talk them down to $19K, brand new. As far as gravel, the SRT-4 engineer's took an SRT-4 and converted it to rally use very simply.

For the money/performance, the SRT-4 is hard to beat.

23. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Does this one beat it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WDVW

24. FIAutoSports

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    page cannot be found