need a "grocerie getter" for $25k | Page 3 | FerrariChat

need a "grocerie getter" for $25k

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 348 Turbo, Nov 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOYRACER

BOYRACER Karting

May 9, 2004
    buy my S2000. 30k miles, honda certfied to 100k. 22k with a hardtop or less without it. Let me know if you are interested. The car is Mint!

2. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Mileage really isn't a concern on these cars if they've been well taken care of. That's the beauty of a diesel. I had a '97 E300 with 236,000 miles on it when I sold it. It ran flawlessly. You can easily get 300k on these engines if they are well taken care of so don't let mileage scare you.

There are no known "issues" with that particular model except for the glow plugs. Sometimes they break off in the cylinder head upon removal. In the past, this necessitated pulling the head to get the plug out ($$$) but I think they've developed a special tool now so this shouldn't be necessary. I wouldn't let that stop me from getting the car. As far as everything else goes, nothing on this car is different than other cars. It will be more expensive to get worked on than an American car, but hey, it's also a lot nicer. If you are worried about the mechanics, just get a PPI done. These things are built like tanks and are made to go the long haul.

Scott

3. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Honda Civic Si. 20k brand new, less than 15 for a used one. Lots of money left over for mods if you're into that. drive a pimp wagen <<friend from school who stole the keyboard

4. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    Hell no. The trade-in value for that car is ~$15K. According to KBB, the price for THAT car would be $20K. So you would be paying more IF the price went over $20K from them then if you went to another dealer.And with that car there is no warranty. From a private seller, you could pick the car up for $17K, probably less with negotiations.

At least with a new car there is the warranty. And with a Benz, repairs are not cheap.

5. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Here's a new angle.
    2005 Jeep cherokee, hemi.
    Yes, it is a bit more money, (probably get one in the spring for 30k), but it would allow me to SELL the yukon. I'd have one less vehicle- that's good. The hemi makes over 300hp and shuts down afew cylinders for highway cruising- good mileage. I'll just wait a few months and let some come available.
    Anyone have experience with these?

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    used xc70 volvo cross country wagon, cargo space, reliable, safe, awd, four full sized adults, not gonna get you weird looks. maybe i am taking in to effect the country house and gravel parts too seriously... gonna autocross in a BMW in that condition? you have to have brass ones for that. the mazda rx8, that would be a hard sell to any wife i think when it rains, you'll be stuck my friend. i'd never buy that hemi jeep, never buy the first year of a new car/engine combo, it is always trouble, believe me, family rule, we have been burned hard by that one.

AUDIS STINK!!! no really, the tolerance is 1qt of oil per 1000miles, where it goes, nobody knows. 30,000 miles = 30 quarts of oil... think about it... Burned powersteering fluid smells like maple syrup, no joke. We call my step dad's car the 'waffle wagon' because of the smell. My bro's best friend is an Audi-Porsche mechanic, he laughed at my dad for buying an A8.

7. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    how about I drive the Yukon, (it's paid for), for 2 more years. By that time, the VW Touareg will be out for 3 years. If the new diesel works out ok, get the TDI Diesel V10. Great power, mileage and it'll live forever! How's about that?!

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Thats a good idea. One thing you might want to consider though is the cost of diesel fuel. I noticed that diesel is selling for $2.25 a gallon in Michigan now. While premium gas can be found at $2.04 per gallon. Diesel fuel seems to be going up in price.

9. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Don't let the cost of diesel fuel now discourage you. It always fluctuates. It has been cheaper than gas for the last few years. Remember, if diesel fuel prices ever get out of hand, you've got several thousand truckers waiting to show up at the Capital.

Scott

10. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I meant Capitol. I can't believe I did that...

Scott