Need a new battery for my CS | FerrariChat

Need a new battery for my CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by SURF, Jan 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SURF

SURF Guest

Nov 6, 2004
    North Hampton,NH.
    The dealer wants big $ for a new battery in my CS. Any suggestions on what to replace it with?

Thanks
    Surf

2. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    interstate mtp91 should be around 100$

3. CAracer

CAracer Karting

Oct 26, 2012
    Pflugerville, Texas
    Full Name:
    John Blanor
    I just bought the same battery and it's more than a $100 more like $134 after you return the core. Good luck

4. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    I switch to Interstate every time I replace a battery.

5. F1.360.LOVER

F1.360.LOVER Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I just got a Bosch a couple of weeks ago. Perfect fit.

Nate

6. Alesnik-MD

Alesnik-MD Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    West coast FL
    Full Name:
    JPA, MD
  7. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The Interstate MTP-91 is sold at Costco for $73 under a generic Interstate label.

8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Get the interstate for ~$100. My dealer service guys actually told me to get one at the local Napa (or whatever) and they drove to my house and istalled it. They did the same for the battery tender. Now that I think about it they did the same with my tires. Bought all those parts at the local parts place/online (for the tires). Dealer installed for min $. Love my dealer.

I'll never forget when I had to replace the battery in my (IRCC) Maserati (happened before I had the Ferrari). Called AAA and they came out and wanted $170 for the interstate installed in my garage. I said "gee, that a lot, let me check with the dealer". So I called the Ferrari/Maserati dealer. They said "its $400 here". Yikes! I then called Kragen and they wanted IIRC $110 or so. I told the AAA guy to go ahead for the $170 installed right then. Anyways, next time it happened was with the Ferrari and I had learned...just went to the parts place and brough it home to meet the Ferrari tech at my driveway.

9. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I replaced the battery in my CS with an Optima and it has been great. Same as the battery in the Scuderia. Saves weight and less acid concerns. Both are great cars.

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Odyssey PC 925 has way less cold cranking capability than the OEM FIAMM or the Interstate MTP-91. I would never go with an under-powered battery for a Ferrari application, even though many owners do it. Too many bad things can happen when a battery is undersized. There are better Odysseys with better cold cranking capability, but they are expensive.

Battery prices have risen pretty steeply in the last 18 months or so. Metal prices have gone through the roof.

If you fit an MTP-91 like the one in my car, make sure and fit the vent hose.

Joe- Ferrari had reliabilty problems with the Optimas and stopped using them. Not sure how the new ones are doing.

11. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    I'm in the Chicago area and the Costco's don't seem to carry this. Do you have an item# or more detailed description? I asked for anything with "91" in it but they do not stock anything.

I've also found the MTP-91's to be closer to $130-$150 in my area, and most Dealers
    I've contacted from the Interstate website are no longer dealers or don't keep that size in stock, strange.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I find the 997 GT3 RS battery is the best and relatively cheap too, have it in my 2 Ferraris and highly modded 996 TT

13. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Why what can go wrong ?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- Not enough cranking power. Much less reserve power. Especially critical for Ferraris that are not not driven often. Not recommended by Odyssey for that application. They recommend the 34R-PC1500 for the Ferrari 360 and other Ferraris.

Other than that, nothing.

15. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    There's considerable weight saving from them though - 10kg (?). And if left on a trickle should be ok ?

16. skokjef

skokjef Karting

Jul 16, 2004
    SURF, you pick up another CS?

I recently replaced my battery in the CS and wanted a dry cell. Put a DEKA 9A34R AGM in and it fit fine. Has worked like a charm ever since.

17. donho

donho Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #17 donho, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Costco's item number is 517999. The vent is in the middle and the fit is perfect for a 360.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Awesome, thanks!

19. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    be aware that AGM batteries, as good as they are, are designed for constant heavy use, they will fail as fast or faster than a std "wet" battery if left in a discharged state for a length of time... that is their weak point... being left discharged or low charge levels... charging systems not designed for AGM batteries also may not get them fully charged... AGM use a different voltage and has a preferred charge profile to get them to 100%

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    AGM batteries can be deep discharged dozens of times without losing their ability to be recharged, unlike normal wet cell batteries. They do, however require a really heavy duty charger if they are discharged to around 80% and may seem dead to the layman.

21. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Hum.... Not good to hear this about AGM's as today I just shelled out $165 clams for a Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery in the 48 group size.......

I mainly got the AGM due to implied to be safer in an accident, or less chance of spills, and no venting of gases. 3 year replacement - so if it dies- get a new one.

I am adding a trickle charger - Battery Tender, and on it 24/7.......

22. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I wouldn't feel any remorse if I were you; AGMs are great for all the reasons you cite and they don't particularly require special handling. They're used in lots of normal automotive and marine charging environments. I bought a Powermaster for my race car and they recommended a schumacher charger like this one

Schumacher SC-1200A SpeedCharge 12/8/2 Amp Charger/Maintainer/Starter/Tester : Amazon.com : Automotive

so out of shear perfectionism I bought it since it has an AGM switch setting and was cheap to boot. But the fact is that most of the time it's being charged by a perfectly ordinary alternator and it's perfectly happy.

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it's not about deep discharging the AGM battery, that is where they shine, what they don't like is being left in a state of deep discharge, that is where they go wrong... in applications where they are deep discharged they are brought back to full charge immediately after being exhausted and have a long useful life... typically a std wet cell battery can go though 250-300 charge cycles, while an AGM can easily double or triple that before needing attention

AGM batteries have a preferred charge cycle profile which controls charge voltage and temperature which can be had only for a charge system designed for the AGM, a std 12v charge system will not allow the AGM to be used at its' optimum