Need a new lift for my garage. | FerrariChat

Need a new lift for my garage.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dersark_painclinic, May 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I am in the process of purchasing a new lift for my garage. I came across two different lifts by BendPak. Both are in the same price range. The MDS -6LP which has very versatile appearance and does not occupy any space, raise 46". The other one is a Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login 2 lift which occupies a lot of space in a ordinary residential garage.
    The MDS-6LP uses compress air to lower but the 2 lift does not. Any professional advice appreciated.

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    What kind of base do you have for bolting down a 2 post lift? And what work do you intend to do - in terms of the lift height you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I use the md6xp for midlift ..works well for rear engine vehicles but not good for exhaust work and transmission work on front engine work

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Flash, on the mid engine V8s (308/mondi - 355 etc) would this let you clear an engine out - assuming you dropped the exhaust, maybe took the wheels off, so the subframe was on a low trolley?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    It is a residential garage, assuming 4" concert. working on my Ferrari and other cars. I do not have high ceilings

6. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I just sold my MD-6 XP, I need one with open center like MDS-6LP

7. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Mine is 550

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Op,

Not sure what you’re US regulations are, but I’d look at someone like eagle equipment in terms of the base spec. You might find your post lift needs additional foundation work because of the depth and also type of concrete used. Not insurmountable, but it adds to the cost / value for money piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I can't say for sure ..it does work well on a testarossa ..thinking if works there it should work well on 355 etc

Go to the bendpak website and pull the installation manual ..it will show you the dimensions ...that should help

I would think it is the good mid rise lift for all our r mid engine cars but only saw it really used to take the engine out of the TR ...

10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Flash,

As you say, if it can handle a TR then it should make light work of the V8s. A pro 2 post is great, but sometimes the prep work, maintenance and warranty doesn’t always work out unless you plan to use it a lot, have a mobile mechanic, etc. Thanks for the info - should help the OP too - sorry to semi hi-jack thread...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    The reviewed the manual instruction and will work for me, The company is not to far from where I live, I may stop by this Saturday to see if they have one on display. I am more interested in the MDS-6Lp one. It is not on your way.

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would say the jack I am speaking about may not be best for 550 etc

13. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    flash32, which one are you addressing to.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The md6xp

15. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I used that for over 10 years, very solid lift requires no maintenance but some annual greasing. The main problem is you can not have access to the center of car, for that reason I sold it.

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I will just throw this out to you ..have you looked at the max jack..I am not endorsing it or recommending it
    .just wanted to ensure you looked at it

17. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Flash32, yes , I looked at the product very carefully, Costco used to sell but they discontinued, Their are ones on this forum which has the lift. price wise very impressive, but honestly I can not convince myself as a safe product. But I hope it is for others.

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    That was the same conclusion I came to when I bot the 6xp ..

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the two post lift require a special voltage (e.g. 3 phase)?

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sark,

I have a twin post. Even with a twin it is hard to get the undertrays off. With a midrise rocker panel grabber it will be near impossible...conveniently. Go with the twin. 4" will be fine for our cars. We are far from doing industrial work in our garages. You can hire a hydralic company to set up and install the lift. It is really heavy. Don't even think about picking this up at the local trucking company. Don't even think about installing it with your friends.

21. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Some of them comes in 110 and 220, and others only 220

22. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Hello FBB, I agree with you we are not youngsters any more. Getting under cars is not easy any more. Even though I am not a mechanics but I get gellus when I see them standing comfortably and working undernite the car. The 2 post lift requires bigger space, the MDS-6LP does not occupy any space and gives 46 inches raise and that is the maximum my garage celling allowes with beams acros. The other assurance that lift gives me is the wide platform which the car is sitting on it and has no chance to slip over with the horrible pictures I seen. As far as shipping goes friend of mine has truck with tailgate lift to down load the lift inside the garage. That is how we did with Md-6xp which was 1000 pounds. Probably This would be my last service , wondering it is worth to invest $3000 or let local Ferrari does it.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I don't know if it's the same for the USA, but larger homes and businesses here can have 3 phase power. Three phase is better for powering large motors and other heavy loads. You don't want your lift to blow your fuses. I have single phase in my garage and it seems to manage my very low rise Quickjack BL-5000SLX, but that is converting electric power to hydraulic power. Some of these lifts are using electricity directly.

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The costco ones are discontinued entirely. Danmar has replaced it with an ALI certified model.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com/dannmar-m-6-certified.html

sjd

25. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek