Need advice: Cleaning Very Delicate Wool Headliner on my Corniche Convertible | FerrariChat

Need advice: Cleaning Very Delicate Wool Headliner on my Corniche Convertible

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Flash G, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    The wool headliner on my car is very dirty around the rear quarter panels. I'd love to clean it, but I've heard horror stories about cleaning Rolls-Royce's wool headliners. (Shrinkage, warping, water rings, sagging, etc...)

The headliner itselft is in good condition... no rips, tears or sagging, so I'd like to not have to replace it.

I have an upholstry wet cleaning vac that I though about dumping some cold water and Woolite into, and gently cleaning the entire headliner, but I don't want to permanently damage it.

Any of our detailing experts here have advice on how to get it clean without destroying it??

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

While I cannot recommend a specific product, I think you are looking at using a dry foam cleaner. See if RR has a specific product they recommend.

Flash G likes this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I have an old Jaguar Mark 2 owners manual from a car I used to own.
    If I remember correctly they call for Mineral Spirits, but I can't remember for sure.
    I will see if I can find that manual.

Flash G likes this.
  4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Flash G likes this.
  5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

You have to be careful as I believe that the Rolls as well as Jag have wool adhered to a 3/16 thick foam that is glued onto the roof. The glue and foam dries out and the headliner falls down. It will leave chunks of foam on the roof and on the wool. This stuff is expensive and very hard to install. I did three attempt's before I had it right. Get it misaligned and you need a new headliner. I paid if I remember correctly $600.00 for the material per attempt!!!!!! That was 20 years ago.

6. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My roof may be different. Since it's a convertible top, the headliner seems to be attached by stiching... (instead of being glued to a roof.)

Pic of a similar headliner:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oh, and if you use it, ROLL DOWN THE WINDOWS, OPEN THE DOORS.

good ventilation is critical.

D

8. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Definitely very different. I assumes a hardtop.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd start with the Woolite and see if that works. You can't hurt it with Woolite.

If you need more, I'd go for the dry cleaning chemicals.

Matt