Need advice - dead 308GTS.... | FerrariChat

Need advice - dead 308GTS....

Discussion in '308/328' started by 330gts, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330gts

330gts Rookie

Sep 11, 2009
    Florida
    I know this has been discussed before. I'd appreciate some current input on what to do and recommended contacts.

Killed my '79 308 GTS some time ago. Had an ignition failure on one bank and pushed it too long to get it to a safe place to stop. Compression tests appears to indicate I have damaged pistons or rings in one bank. No compression [30 psi] on four cylinders.

Torn about what to do. I've had the car since new and has some sentimental value. Not pristine but was a decent driver until the ignition failure and resultant damage.

Proper rebuild is worth almost as much as a decent running car.

Sell it as a project/parts car? Install a used 308/328 engine?

Any suggestions or advice? If I decide to sell it as is or start searching for a suitable transplant engine any suggestions on trustworthy contacts for either option?

Thanks

2. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    I have a lot of parts to rebuild your engine but still would be costly with the machine work, wow sorry to hear. Fortunate part is the cars are increasing in value so I wouldn't be so quick to scrap it. You could get away with a $20k engine rebuild and your car could still be worth upper 30's and not to far in the future 40's or more

Wade

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If you keep your car and rebuild the motor, you are not in unknown territory with a different car. How much will you spend looking for one (travel, ppi, etc)? How long will that take? How much will you actually save? What if THAT engine has issues 3 months into ownership? What if you just cannot seem to find what you are looking for?

Rebuild yours (here is your chance to tweak it too), save money in the long run and keep your sentimental car.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    WOW

You are the original owner of a 79 308?

5. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    What I would do is get an accurate assessment of the damage first. Maybe use a borescope in the dead cylinders and THEN decide on whether or not to pull the engine, just one head, or maybe some other plan of action. Borescopes are not cheap, but are a great way of looking without spending any more than you may want to. They can be inserted into the sparkplug hole--very useful. As others have said, don't "give up" on your car just yet!

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

Get it done right and drive a "new" 308. Very, very few 308s out there anymore are fully sorted.

And almost none are still with their original owners. I'd never let that one go.

7. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    +1

Just follow what the doctor ordered...

You know what you have with your car. No matter how thorough an inspection you get on another car, there will always be unknowns.

8. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

re-build...no question

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    If it was my 308 that I bought brand new back in '79, there is no question that I would have it rebuilt. I would not even consider replacing the car.

The best 308 out there is not worth as much as being able to say that you are the original owner of yours.

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    + 308

11. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    Agree with everyone, rebuild, definitely. The only question I'd be asking myself in that situation is whether to stay stock or go to a 3.4 or 3.5 liter upgrade during the process.

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    While 308s aren't a dime a dozen original owners since 1978 ARE few and far between.

I'd bet if your scrapped your car and bought another you'd feel a little empty.

13. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I would pull the head on the troubled bank and find out just what you are in for. Too much at stake not to know exactly what you are dealing with.

14. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    THIS MAN SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!

Figure out what you are in for, then contact Wade to get the new parts OR send it off to Newman or one of the others to do some serious upgrades. Its probably going to cost the same or close to it so why not have a bit more fun with it unless, of course, you are a strictly stock kind of guy.

PDG