Need Advice - Finally Buying A Ferrari | FerrariChat

Need Advice - Finally Buying A Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lewis, Mar 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lewis

lewis Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    South Florida
    Well, after nearly 20 years (first time I saw a Ferrari was the cover of Road & Track in 1995 featuring the TR) of dreaming I am making the plunge.

I recently moved to Miami and have heard mixed things about some of the local dealers (there was one thread in particular about a local dealer) so I am looking for advice on where to buy a late model 328gts - Black on tan (or cream)

After reading this post I have decided to go with a '88 or '89 328 vs. a 348 given that, in order to get a reliable 348, it would have to be a '94 or later. The opportunity cost of the 328 is a bigger interior in the 348 and slightly more modern features; however it seems I can easily use the money saved on the 328 on maintenance.

Any advice on where to get a fair deal? I don't need to get the absolute lowest ever price as reliability and not getting Fu*#ed by a dealer or seller is important for my first F-car.

Thanks in advance for your advice

2. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Well certainly search this board and check out ferrarimarketletter.com for starters. There are a lot of good dealers and a lot of good private sellers. There are a lot of bad dealers and a lot of bad private sellers. That's why this board is here, to sort that out!

Also, did you mean a 1985 article? Otherwise not quite sure how you have been dreaming about a F for 20 years if you saw one for the first time 9 years ago...??

3. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    Martin at Cavallino Motors. He is a sponsor here. Very honest and respected. Check in the Florida section. He posts there almost every day.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Welcome to Miami, I moved here about 2 years ago & I love this place. The Miami Ferrari club has a local watering hole LA CITY restaurant on Washington & 7th. Roberto is the owner & is on Fchat occasionally.

I would you suggest you contact Martin in the Florida section here as he is a friend of mine & the organizer of many Miami Ferrari events & all around good guy. He advertises here on the forum as Cavallino Motors # 888-922-7393. I suggested he rename his dealership Martin's Penis Extension Shop but he declined to do so :)

The 328 is a very nice car & reliable, handles well, has power & looks, Good choice all around. Might want to get a GTS to soak in the Florida sun
    Good luck

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If in FL, Martin is the way to go. Too many other places that are really shady dealerships...

6. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    My research has led me to believe that 1989 328s are the better car. They command a bit more money than a 86-88 car but I am not sure why. Is it just the addition of ABS? Anyway do your homework, get an expert to check the car out, and insist on seeing service records! The other thing I don't get is why a 40,000 mile car is considered high mileage. For a fifteen year old car that is less than 3,000 miles per year. I like car that are driven and well cared for. Happy hunting!

7. lewis

lewis Karting

Feb 11, 2004
    South Florida

Yes, intended to write 1985 - I just have a hard time dealing with how old I am :)

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Agreed, the garage queen Ferraris seem to be the maintenance nightmares, the well used ones seem to fare better.