Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    As I said on FB, I'm with JohnK, disconnect the fuel pump, oil the cylinders, turn it over a while and then compression test. If the engine internals are good and you can do the belts, hoses, brakes, flush tanks etc. yourself it is a good buy at 50k or less. With the VIN out there now, move quickly :)

Beard Bros. likes this.
  2. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Going tomorrow to do the final inspection and try to make a deal on this 328. I talked with the dealership that serviced this car and they confirmed the major was done about 800 miles ago referencing its current mileage. I had a VIN history report done and it shows that it has been registered to the same owner since 1995, the current owner. There is also a mileage statement of 9007 miles in 1995. There is no other info on the report other than the registrations, so it has a clean history in the databases. Thanks to everyone for their input as it is much appreciated.

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Even turning the engine by hand, I would first take off the timing belt covers to keep an eye on the belts.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  4. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Lots of great advice here. I only have one question. With all of the existing well sorted and documented 328's in existence, with all of the variables that have been identified throughout this thread, why would you take a chance on this car? Do you think that you will get a good deal from the current owner? If that is the motivator, in my experience with basically getting three Ferrari's back on the road, this will be a more expensive proposition for you.

Beard Bros. and Rossocorsa1 like this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    “It has been in non temp. controlled storage in a steel farm shed”

Knowing this - I’d run, unless he’s basically giving it away. There are lots of things that just corrode on these cars even in the best controlled environments (leather breaks down, seat foam, carpet fibers, gaskets, radiator lines, interior material liner, I could go on and on). Who needs it. There are many good 328’s out there with similar miles and little to no headaches. It’s a 328, not a 275. It isn’t worth it. Make great memories for yourself not a nightmare.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    In defense of the OP, there can be great satisfaction in resurrecting the dead. It just depends on what parts of the car hobby you enjoy.

... I always find the hotrod characters interesting; they spend $100k and years building a hotrod, get it finished, immediately lose interest and sell it. Not rational, but they are having fun.

Beard Bros. and bertrand328 like this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    But that dead needs to come pretty cheap on the front end of the project.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  8. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I wasn't able to meet up with the owner yesterday as we had some rain and it made the road to the building where the car is a muddy mess. I have to wait for it to dry out so I can get my flatbed tow truck in there without getting stuck. Hopefully It will dry out in a couple days. One thing I neglected to mention earlier is that I own a restoration shop and my facility has all the capabilities to do everything this car needs to get it back to A1 condition and driving down the road again so rest assured I am not a novice when it come to the world of automobiles. I bought and fully restored my first car when I was 14 years old, full body and mechanical restoration over a two year period and have been doing it ever since. My original question was posed because I have never owned a Ferrari and knew it was not going to be like pulling a 1967 Corvette out of a barn and getting it running, my shop does primarily American marques. I have learned alot and appreciate very much so all the knowledge and opinions shared in this thread from all the members that have these cars and know all the important points in owning/maintaining these cars. As for the purchase price, I am budgeting for worst case scenario and working backwards from a well sorted, identical cars purchase price. The owner is almost agreeable to my offer, but I have a little more nudging to do. Finding automobiles and bringing them back to life is one of my favorite things to do. I will keep this thread updated as I progress with this project.

nickmb likes this.
  9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Yes please

Beard Bros. likes this.
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister

With this info, you will be just fine! Lots of prudent advice here but also a lot of fear mongering which many owners and wanabees like to propagate to justify what they have had to pay in the past. These cars are not made of sugar and ferry dust and the same basic principles you have used pulling any other car out of long term sleep will apply with a few other little considerations. Congrats on a great find.

27811, nickmb and Beard Bros. like this.
  11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I think this car will need quite a bit of work, time and money to bring it back to a happy place. But it's always nice to see someone do a Ferrari restoration.

And given you've done restoration many times in the past, I expect the "headache/shock" factor will be less than someone else buying it as their first project.

So, best of luck. Be sure to post your pics and progress. :)

Beard Bros. and 4right like this.
  12. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Dave rocks and nickmb like this.
  13. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    So the owner found the tool roll and the jack bag. I talked him into looking for the manuals and any paperwork he has. Does the roll and bag look complete, not missing anything?

Attached Files:

14. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
  15. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    thorn likes this.
  16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #41 Rossocorsa1, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Beard Bros. likes this.
  17. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I have all the original parts in a bag they replaced in the major service that was done. Probably not worth anything but I will keep them.

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks like the cosmetics are done.

I hope the mechanics have no surprises.

You have a nice looking 328. I think you did pretty well. Keep us updated!

Beard Bros. and Rosey like this.
  19. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    The original warranty book could be signifiant ( and window sticker ). Other books and pouch could be take up easily.

Congrats for your purchase

Beard Bros. likes this.
  20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Did he tell you why he parked it? Now that you've paid he may share more :)

Beard Bros. likes this.
  21. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Congrats on your purchase. The roll and bag looks complete.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  22. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Too many other interests to pay attention to it.

23. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Got the fuel drained out of the tanks today, 15 gallons, and it was still nice. He apparently prepped the fuel for storage with Stabil. Got it up in the air on the 2 post lift today and nothing underneath is an issue besides a couple oil leaks. Looks like new under the chassis and not missing anything!

I moved it into my office for now until I get a free weekend to play with it some more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4re308, Dave rocks, derekw and 2 others like this.
  24. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Love the office!...especially that red paper weight- until it starts rolling. :) Congrats!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  25. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    If you can, obtain VIP C 9 fuel for a little better performance and it doesn't have the ethanol found in current fuel.

Beard Bros. and Rossocorsa1 like this.