Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I took Paul’s advice on this and I’m very pleased. The engine burns pure and you can really feel the response improve. Most importantly, it can sit for periods of time.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Awesome !

The main thing to know about this motor is that it's an interference design. So if the timing belts break, or shed teeth, the valves will become bent or worse. In addition to the timing belts, make sure that the idler bearings are in good shape. Hill Engineering makes some decent replacements. I believe the current recommendation from Ferrari is 3 years on the belts. I believe the belt manufacturer does not recommend more than 7 years on the belts.

Having the engine in the proper place makes servicing more difficult. Much effort and patience are required.

Those Fram oil filters collapse. Replace it ASAP. I like the Baldwin filters.

Ferrari dealer markup on parts is just shy of criminal. Fortunately, most of the parts can be had from the component manufacturers. Lots of Bosch parts, Stabilus, Veglia,SK, Bendix Italia, etc.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  3. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    Jeff - Good to hear you are getting good results from the C9. See you at Cavallino next January.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Looking forward to it.

5. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
  6. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The 328 is the type F106 model designation by Ferrari.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  7. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks!

8. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    So today I tested the functionality of every system on the car, except the engine/transmission, and all is in perfect working order.

After a thorough inspection of the car today I have found a few things:
    • I am missing the battery hold down clamp (previous owner is looking for it)
    • I am missing all the manuals/books for the car (previous owner is looking for them)
    • The engine cover struts are too weak to hold the cover up
    • Front tires are the ones it left the factory with and the rears are dated 2013. All of them are Goodyear Eagle ZR
    • The shift lever and gate have some wear on them, the shift knob has some cracking in it
    • Right foglight clear glass lens has a crack in it
    • Would like to find the correct material to recover the removable top if I decide to do so

Any recommendations on parts suppliers and/or the parts themselves would be appreciated!

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #59 thorn, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Beard Bros. likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Feel free to call me and I can walk you through these issues. I emailed you my cell.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  11. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Take care at the foglight. It is not easy to find one and could be ( very ) expensive

Beard Bros. likes this.
  12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The markings are not on the frame rail, but on the suspension wishbone ("A-arm" in american parlance, usually); euro cars do also have markings on "A-arms" at all fours corners (but they say "euro", although these markings tend to disappear after about 20.000 or so. See the ones on the front lower right wishbone (sorry, "A arm"...), upper side, on my # 80515 the first day after I bought her; the pressure pliers were left "in situ" by someone...markings say "EUR F 106".
    Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Beard Bros. likes this.
  13. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Yes, as you say the stamping is on the left upper A-arm. ;-)

14. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    So tell us what did you pay?

16. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
  17. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James

The last guy that asked me what I paid for it was driving a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica and I told him he paid more for his minivan than I did for my Ferrari.

I smiled, he did not. ;)

Milkshaker0007 and thorn like this.
  18. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hahaha... but you're amongst friends here.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  19. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice car! Love the story! Subscribe

Beard Bros. likes this.
  20. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    While much better than steel, the tanks can rust. See post #28 in the Driver's Side Gas Tank Removal thread. If water sat in the bottom a long time, it can rust out the steel screen pickup, sender unit, and even perforate the tank. In my case, fuel started seeping through the tank bottom and PO's shop went through a few fuel pumps which we deduced later on was caused by the rust particles settled in the tank.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  21. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    On the targa material, I sourced a 2-yard roll for my QV from Matteo Jones of Re-originals. Yours is the brown (tan)/white pinstripe which might be carried by others. Mine was the red-white pinstripe which seemed "NLA" until Matteo sourced a roll of near-perfect fabric in Italy. Two yards means I have enough left over if I ever want to replace the rest of the fabric around the rear windows.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  22. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    So it has been a while since I have posted on my project as my car has been patiently awaiting a new set of belts so the engine can come to life again. I am lucky to have 2 Ferrari dealers to choose from by me and have been in contact with both of them, Continental Ferrari of Hinsdale, IL and Ferrari of Lake Forest, IL. The previous major service on the car was done at the Lake Forest dealer. Anyone on here have any recommendations / reviews on either of these two dealers as I need to choose which one will do the major service on it.

23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I would recommend you post a thread on the IL regional section asking about the best independent technicians in your area that have deep experience with cars from the 80's and 90's. You're better off building a relationship with someone who knows the older cars rather than the younger dealer techs who are more focused on the modern cars.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  24. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They are both top notch. I favor Continental but you can’t go wrong with either of them.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  25. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    My friend Mike has his race cars serviced at Continental, I have never heard anything bad about them.

Beard Bros. likes this.