Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    #76 Beard Bros., Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    So after much research I decided to give my 328 to the Lake Forest Ferrari dealer here in IL. Both of the Ferrari dealers here in IL were very professional and helpful with my inquiries for service and past history with my 328. My decision for the Lake Forest dealer hinged upon them having done the last major service and I have a friend with a 355 that gets his car serviced there also and he spoke highly of them. On Monday 12/17/18 they sent an enclosed transport to get my 328 since it cannot move on its own. Their enclosed transport trailer was very nice and was perfectly setup for wide cars with low ground clearance. We hooked up the winch and pulled it up in the trailer, then it was all tied down and off to the dealer. First off they will do a belt service then start the car and evaluate any further needs. After all the service is done on the 328 I am going to have them perform a Classiche Certification. I am going to their facility for a tour sometime in the next couple weeks. I will post some pics afterwards.

Here are some pics of my 328 getting picked up and in their service dept.

Attached Files:

mcimino, Rossocorsa1 and bertrand328 like this.
  2. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Did you discover history of the first early years of your car ?

Beard Bros. likes this.
  3. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    The only history I have on the car from new is the carfax report that shows it was sold new in Texas and then went to the dealer in Illinois. The Illinois dealer that got the car from the first owner no longer has any paperwork to trace that history.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

bertrand328 likes this.
  4. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Thanks for sharing James. May be the Ferrari dealer could get information about the original dealer of this car ?

Beard Bros. likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Hope it all goes well. Feel free to bring any questions here if things arise.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  6. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I will ask them to put an inquiry into Ferrari to see if they have that 1st owner info and release it to me.

7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    ebay, if a u can find, many parts are not longer around, Ferr Parts Calif usa, , GT car parts Az usa , Ricambi usa , T rutlands usa, and op is right, criminal price, but Ferr Parts like s to make good deals

Beard Bros. likes this.
  8. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I received a call from the Classiche manager asking me what I knew about the body color painted top on my car. I told him as far back as I have history on this car the top has always been red. He and the owner of the dealership are in agreement this top looks like it was done at the factory, as was I after inspecting the paint and the surrounding trim. They also told me that there were such options on late 1989 328 GTS models. I guess we will see when the report comes back.

9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    A factory option should be listed on the period price list. Could be a special order ?
    The Classiche manager asks you ! It's not the man who must have the answer(s) ?

10. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I believe he was asking me so as to include my knowledge of the history of the car in his report.

11. Carguy81

Carguy81 Rookie

Jan 6, 2019
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Evan Purser
    Looks like a great car. Looking forward to seeing the results once it's running. Looking at a fairly similar vehicle...

Beard Bros. likes this.
  12. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    What option (if any) does one have then if the Teves ABS is not rebuildable?

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very nice!

Never used! LOL!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  14. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Frame designation of the 308/328 series....

Beard Bros. likes this.
  15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    ReOriginals, (here in Texas) that fabric is rare but recreated periodically....

Beard Bros. likes this.
  16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The dealership does the inspection and then relates the "known facts" to Maranello….

Richardson was the location of Ferrari of Dallas, when this vehicle was new.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There are no new ones, only used ones. You can find some systems from Alfa Romeo that fits.

Beard Bros. and eyeman1234 like this.
  18. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    mcimino likes this.
  19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lets just degree these cams in.....good on them!!

IF "the books" can be found, the Warranty Coupon booklet is the only place, that the dealer starts it off with hand written info on the date and first buyer, after that, the coupons get torn off as periodic services are done for at least 6000 miles, even longer if they continue to use that dealer.

That would be one "of the books" that everyone talks about.
    Owners Manual is the other one.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  20. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Put film on the big vertical lower driving lights....shatter one and you will cry....NLA...all gone.

Bad design!!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  21. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Rosey likes this.
  22. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Any updates on this story? Certainly an interesting read!

23. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Update 3/8/2019 - The major service is done and the car is running good! No big surprises, just a few leaky lower seals, had to pull the starter and get it loosened up from not being used and needed a brake system flush on top of the items done on the major service. This week it will be getting the new tires installed and road tested. After it is all sorted out the 328 gets its photos and documentation done for the Classiche, then I get to bring her home!

WJC likes this.
  24. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    #99 WJC, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Congratulations on this project! Sounds like it must be a lot of fun! I am starting my search for a 308 GTS and hope to have as good as luck as you have experienced.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  25. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Update 3/17/2019 - All the road tests with the new tires and service are now complete. Acceleration and braking are very good along with everything working as it should. Now they will complete the Classiche documentation and I should have my 328 back soon! I am very excited to get behind the wheel and experience driving a Ferrari for the first time!

WJC and Rossocorsa1 like this.