Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Need advice on buying a 1989 328 GTS in long term storage

Discussion in '308/328' started by Beard Bros., Aug 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Great to hear. I know it’s been a journey. Please post some pics when you have the car back.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  2. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    Update 3/26/2019 - I received a call from Lake Forest Ferrari yesterday and was told the car is currently being detailed for its Classiche presentation. Once this is done they will go over the car, get all the numbers off it, do all the detailed pictures and then they will put it on the turntable in the showroom for its final pictures. Then comes the process of waiting for the Classiche report to come back, which I hear can be a lengthy process. I am told I should have it back in my possession by the end of the week detailed, fully sorted out and ready for the 2019 driving/show season. Another good side note is the technician that did all the work on my 328 said it was the best driving 328 he has ever worked on!

Robb, Rossocorsa1 and WJC like this.
  3. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    That is great news and even better when you hear a technican say that!

Hope to see the car in person at some point and meet you at some of the shows!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    thats great news ,my tr has been classiche love my red book and you will love your book too

Beard Bros. likes this.
  5. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    mcimino, Island Time, Saabguy and 9 others like this.
  6. WJC

WJC Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Joe C.
    Congrats! Looks beautiful!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  7. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Does the painted top isn't a problem for Classiche ?

Beard Bros. and 308 milano like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Car looks great. Was the targa top painted when you got the car or did you paint it?

Beard Bros. likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Car looks great !!

1. what tyres did you end up fitting to the car
    2. did you ever find the owners manuals/ service books for the car?
    3. Now that it's all clean you must take photos of the engine to show how it presents now.

Well done on the transformation.

Beard Bros. and WJC like this.
  10. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I will find out when the report comes back. I am not too worried about it and also like the look of the painted top compared to the covered top

11. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    It was actually done before the guy I bought the car from acquired it. So that puts the top modification prior to 1995 if it did not come as a custom order from the factory.

12. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    I chose a set of continental tires for the 328, they are good performing summer only tires. I have not come up with the service book yet, the previous owner is still digging around for it. Hopefully he will find it one day! I will post pictures of the 328 as soon as I get it back and take it for a nice long drive!

G. Pepper likes this.
  13. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Several owners have done repainted the targa top, the car look like as a GTB like this ! But to my knowledge any was done by the factory. There is no "tailor made" in 1980's

Beard Bros. likes this.
  14. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    If it is not a factory done option,whoever did the top conversion did an incredible job in making it look factory. The seal on the top looks exactly like the seals around the windshield and A-pillar trim. The color and finish of the paint is also an exact match. I also like the way it looks and of course it makes my 328 a little different that the rest. I will find out for sure when the Classiche comes back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2692372

Attached Files:

15. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    #115 Beard Bros., Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Update 4/12/19 - I finally got my 328 back and it looks fantastic and drives even better! Already logged over 100 miles on it this week. It is such a great car, I love how connected I feel when I am driving it! It is so great to drive a fully analog car. I have driven many vintage cars and this is by far the most enjoyable driving experience I have had. The car really pulls hard when you get the RPM's above 4000 and is rock solid at 100+mph. Now I just need to get it on the lift and start detailing the chassis, lower engine and suspension. As a automotive journalist once wrote "The 328 hits the sweet spot where Ferrari’s legendary performance, Pininfarina beauty, modern comforts and relative affordability converge". Funny story, my family has an app on our phones that tracks all our locations, it is handy when you are trying to keep track of where the teenagers and grandparents are. My wife looked at my location history today and asked why the hell I was driving all over the county on the backroads for 2 hours and it also logs your top speed which is good for teen drivers but I guess not for me in the 328. She didn't seem amused to see the 137 top speed number. I on the other hand was very amused at that particular point in time. Here are some pics when I got it back on Tuesday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Aus_yz, mcimino, thoke and 4 others like this.
  16. Beard Bros.

Beard Bros. Karting

Aug 22, 2018
    Midwest USA
    Full Name:
    James
    mcimino, 4re308, Saabguy and 6 others like this.
  17. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That’s one beautiful car!

Beard Bros. likes this.
  18. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I would have thought it was an original black top that have been repainted. Although the original coating must be a problem.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Interested to see if it was supplied with a red targa top from the factory.
    There was no official Tailor Made program back then but Ferrari did do custom orders like red leather dashboards Boxer colour schemes so it could be possible.

Beard Bros. likes this.
  20. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    If there is "special custom orders" you should have a document.
    Leather Dashboard and Boxer colour schemes are factory option. These option appear on the period Ferrari price list, even these option could be different according the market.

Someone have copy of 1985-1989 US price list ? I found several list from Europe but not american until today

21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I knew leather dashboards were a factory option but not red leather dashboards, on all optioned cars they would normally be black leather.
    Yet they were available custom order from the factory.

22. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Why only black ? As the interior the dashboard could be leather Rosso, Blu etc..

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yes but not as a standard factory option.

24. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    What a great story. Enjoy your ‘new’ car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beard Bros. likes this.
  25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not exactly: when ordering the leather dashboard option on a 328, you could have it any leather color you liked, although the factory recommended to stay with black, due to the increased optical reflections in the windshield when the dash was not black. It was not a "custom" order in the real sense of the expression. GTB #80347 is a silver / all red leather French car for instance, not "custom" order, simply ordered this way. Fellow F-Chatter "alfer" has an all beige leather GTS, and there are many more.
    It was a bit of the same with the body-color painted rear aerofoil: it could be ordered at no extra cost, but somehow on some countries it was not proposed by the importer; everytime you see a french red 328 with a red colored rear aerofoil, it is either non-original, or a car that has been imported; the historic french importer, Ch.Pozzi, did not propose red colored rear aerofoils...even if it was very common in the UK, in Italy or in Germany...
    So the body-colored rear aerofoil would be considered "special order" in France, and standard option in the other countries...

Rgds

Rosey and Beard Bros. like this.