Need advice on value of my 1988 Mondial 3.2 Coupe | FerrariChat

Need advice on value of my 1988 Mondial 3.2 Coupe

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by TOM B, Feb 4, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1988 Mondial 3.2 coupe with 92,000 miles. Value?

1. $28,000 - $33,000

2. $24,000 - $27,000

3. $19,000 - $23,000

4. Leave it in the ghetto with the keys in it ;)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
  2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    JMHO but I think you are high. The mileage doesn't bother me as I have over 112K on one of my 308s. Looks like a nice car though.

3. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    So what you're saying is < $19,000 ? Be honest. I've got a thick skin. After all.....I drive a Mondial.

Tom

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Tom,

You really are probably looking at 20 if you want it to move fast. I had my 75,000 mile (daily driver) 328 on the market at 34K and didn't even get a serious bite on it. I'll probably have to push down to 30 or high 20s to sell it in any sort of reasonable time. It's not a Mondial, but it's probably the closest data point out there. Everyone was very concerned about the block wearing out (!), resale, and the condition of the steering rack, bushings, etc.

I know that bites -- one of the many reasons I kept my car.

If you're open to that range, let me know. I have a coworker looking for a low miles Mondial 8 coupe because of his price range, he might be willing to consider a high mile 3.2 for a similar price

5. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    I think the car looks great. I like it but I think it would move fairly quickly in the 21K-23K region. You might be able to get more. I don't like to try to tell someone what it is worth as you never know. I saw an 82 308 with 80K on it sell for $29K once so who knows. I do think you can get in the 20s safely. I would buy it for $19K right now so I think the low 20s is realistic for a fast sale.

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Tillman, Thanks for the honesty. I'll keep your co-worker in mind. I've got a couple of additional avenues i'd like to try first. I'll be back to you.

A couple of things people have to keep in mind when viewing the condition of cars such as ours, high mileage daily drivers or garage queens, these cars are nearly 20 years old. Ferraris, yes, but they're still old cars with old car issues.

And, call me cynical, but anyone who believes that all these 308's, 328's, and Mondials with <25,000 miles showing are for real...i've got a bridge you might be interested in. ;)

Tom

7. davel

davel Guest

You are so right about true mileage on many of these cars!!! I think your car will move between 20k and 25k given the inputs here on mileage etc.

8. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd agree with the others that you'll need to motivate the buyer, but if 328s have been pulled up lately why not a 3.2 Mondial? Isn't it the best of the series for a newbie (i.e., they just got better with each subsequent model, but a "t" has the 348s maintenance risks)? I'd base the price on a top of market '88 minus some number (like maybe $10~15K). One thing that would help prevent me from dismissing a high-mileage F out-of-hand is if the Seller stated (true) recently measured leakdown values in the ad -- just a thought (although I see from your ad that you're working to a tight schedule -- but if you go the trade-in route please give us the post-deal numbers)...

And Tom -- Bravo! -- IMO you could give the car away and have received a much better return on your $ than most ;)

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    i would pay $15k to $19k. the higher miles to me as an enthusiast would mean the thing starts and runs reliably most of the time also.

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Excuse me. "the thing" ? I resent that. It starts ALL the time.

Tom

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'd pay $23-24k, but I already have a Mondial.

12. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

Tom, chill. you asked for opinions, so dont be so thin skinned.

my terminology was a generalization, not derogatory. cars are objects, i buy , i play, i sell. Ferrari's are high strung like airplanes. things dont always work all the time. the high milage means the car runs and drives and is not taken apart broken. if you are so sensitive then price it for what you think it should bring and wait for tax returns and the warm weather to bring the buyers out. i hope you are getting another dream car since you have been so passionate about the Mondial. they are great cars.

13. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Tom - Nice looking car - Congrats on the mini.

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    just curious - u mention you are trading in next week....

what is the bmw / mini dealer offering you ? surely you'd be better off holding out and selling it to a fellow f-car loony.

15. akydakyx

akydakyx Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve K
    tom,
    did i test drive a mondial coupe for you in west palm beach a few years back? if not you then for some lister and although i wasn't crazy about the particular car i drove due to it's cosmetic condition, i liked the mondial alot and thought about doing what you did. using one as daily driver. then i talked to several owners who had mondials for sale. then i realized if i ever want to get out of the car it might be difficult so i went for something else. i wish you luck. but as you know from when you were a buyer, it is a mondial, it is a coupe, and it's got miles. but it's a ferrari and i like the car. i also have a thing for euro 308gt4. if you are thinking about trading don't forget to figure sales tax savings into analysis.

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
  17. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Michael,
    Duly noted. Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    High mileage is a tough sell on f-cars as these cars get older I'm sure we will see more and more 308s, mondials, etc. with 100k+ miles on them listed in the classifieds and hopefully that will instill more confidence in buyers. It seems now that more than half of the 308's for sale have 30k on them (we all know why) so when we see a higher mileage Fcar we are in shock.
    I think low 20's is perfectly in line for your car good luck!

19. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Steven,
    Nope. It wasn't me. Thanks for the advice.

Tom

20. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Tom.
    Curious as to what Mini will give you on trade? Also does N.Y offset the purchase price for sales tax like here in Ct. and other states?
    I traded in my 83 Mondial for 19k at a Nissan dealer. It was a driver at best with 50k on it. I was happy as thats what i paid for it.

Another idea is to contact Peter at Forza
    http://www.forza.weblobby.com/

Peter seems to get top money for his Mondials. He bought my 83 at auction a year later and sold it for low 20's. He charges a reasonable consignment fee.
    Best of luck, Tom

21. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Dave,
    You will soon have a PM.

Tom

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Tom,
    I don't think your mileage is that high. It's an 88 with less than 100K miles. It averaged like 5,000 miles a year. That's pretty low for a daily driver. A well-driven car (as we know) will be so much more reliable than a garage queen.

Why is it that everyone here is always saying how bad GQ's are and how high mileage in a Ferrari is a good thing, then when it comes to actually BUYING one, all the sudden a car with more than 40K miles is a beater? WTF?

I think your price is more than reasonable.

Birdman

23. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Birdman,
    I know what you mean. It's like people that are in favor of building more prisons...just not in their neighborhood. A bit hypocritical.
    By the way, I bought the car 4 years ago with 37,000 miles on it. I put most of the miles on it. In fact, I was running at 20,000 + miles / year, 3 years ago, when my stroke kept me from driving her for a while. It's true. The more you drive it, the more reliable it is.

Thanks for your words of support.

Tom

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Agree. With it's Nikasil cylinders and advanced factory anti-corroision body protection that car is good for 200K++++ if maintained.
    And your car is quite beautiful.
    Hold on the price, I even think it's so low already it's a screaming deal for someone...

25. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Thanks Russ. Wish me luck.

Tom