Need computer help | FerrariChat

Need computer help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JamesH, Aug 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JamesH

JamesH Formula Junior

May 11, 2001
    San Carlos, Californ
    Full Name:
    James Hom
    My computer is freezing. Running Windows 98 second edition. It boots all the way to the desktop, then it freezes. Computer is a small Book PC, running a Pentium II. I tried changing cpu, memory, and harddrive with no luck. It doesnt seem to freeze in safe mode. I also tried reloading Windows 98 with not luck. Is it the motherboard? I am also going to try upgrading the bios by downloading and flashing it.

2. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    heh, the joke in the IT industry runs true... Windows 98 = Virus in a box.

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Usually when this happens it means one of the Windows boot files is corrupt. It's unlikely to be a hardware issue.

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    back in the day, i found the opposite to be true, usually an IRQ interrupt on the sound card or even modem was enough to make it puke.

i'd suggest when in safe mode, disable everything that's not essential, especially the sound, see if it boots up, if it does, enable things one-by-one to find out who's been a naughty boy then.

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    start - run - msconfig

set to diagnostic start up and see what it does. never know, could just be the average spyware taking over the system and slowing it down to a halt. I've seen that happen plenty of times.