Need exp. auto-body tech for GT4 restoration. | FerrariChat

Need exp. auto-body tech for GT4 restoration.

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by DavidDriver, Jan 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Wow that looks like a fun project. I’ll ask around to see if anyone can help you. Looks like you will need some rust removal, some straightening, and definitely some sanding/grinding to get it prepped for paint. Have you found a booth to paint it at yet?

2. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    I would start by stripping paint/primer/bondo off the car first and see what your looking at.Some body guys might just slap some filler block it out and call it good.your not far from doing this right dont stop now.

SoCal1 likes this.
  3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Thats a lot of work if you never done it before, add lots time you will be happy :)

4. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    If you can't find anyone to come to your location would you be interested in taking it to Garys auto collision? They are nearby and from what I have seen does great work.

5. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #6 DavidDriver, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Thank you all for the kind posts.

Prancinghorse, Thank you too, for the referral. That's in downtown Newhall - right? That's very close to me, which is good.

FerrariFab, It was taken down to bare-metal before the coat of primer you see was applied and I have plenty of pictures of what it looks like underneath. But as you suggest, I am going to take it back down to bare-metal and get rid of anything funky. In fact, I already found some funky primer on the trunk lid--that needed to be removed--when I took it in to have a few dents repaired.

SoCal1, Right you are; it has been a lot of work!

When I bought the car, I posted it here:
    https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/1975-308-gt4-10314.105667/

Then, I removed the engine, disassembled the gearbox and had it repaired here:
    https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/syncro-fix-for-gt4-10314.112150/

I also showed how NOT to pull the engine here:
    https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/the-how-not-to-pull-a-gt4-engine-thread.113587/

But more than a lot of work, it's been a lot of time. (Tillman, "shhhhh...") But in the end, as you said, "add lots time you ("I") will be happy :)"

In the end, it will be a well documented restoration. I doubt it will be a show-car because there are too many things that have happened to it: wrong grill for a Series I; a somewhat sketchy ('though documented) history; little paper-work; no tools or jack; although, someone here on FChat has the warranty booklet, which I declined to purchase.

But nevertheless, it will be a well sorted Ferrari and it should look very nice.

That will be an accomplishment I can take some pride in - and that "will" make me very happy. :D

6. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    David, I sent you a pm. I may have found someone for you.

7. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Yes that repair on the rear quarter is hard to look at. I used to do this type of work and not many qualified individuals to take care of this. I honestly dont think you will find any qualified individuals that are willing to work out of your garage to be honest.

8. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    #9 DavidDriver, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    That's not all they did. They painted over the latch on the passenger door, and masked-off the driver's side, leaving the (2nd? 3rd? 4th?) re-spray. The plates and latches, and the VIN plate, should all be removed and the entire piece(s) stripped and painted. They also left the head-light buckets in. Sometimes the little things show more than was thought at-the-time.

BTW: There's more than just that quarter panel; a lot more...

I'm a hard-core DIYer though. I bought my Ferrari and took it apart. I've spent have the time since then, taking care of some family issues and as a result, the Ferrari lost it's priority. However, during that time I have also: bought a house, torn it down-to-studs, and spent 2-yrs re-building it as on owner/builder. All of this while also being employed full-time as a programmer/analyst, working at the same company since.... well, since a few years before I sent the car off to be painted.

I've already learned that no shop will lend their name to a project that they do not have full control over. -Peroid. I once saw a 330 and a 246 both being done side-by-side. Those are $80k jobs. Who has the time for a GT?(whatwazthat?)

9. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    give my friend sean a call 8058130900 hes not mobile you would have to brign it to him.i know hes busy as well if it doesn't fit in your needs he might be able to link you up with someone else.He is just a metal guy, so if you brought it stripped he could get it ready for body man/paint shop without having it covered in bondo.