Need failed Speed sensors | FerrariChat

Need failed Speed sensors

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rich in Panama City, Oct 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    My speedometer fluttered & stopped working as I was watching it, the I realized my odometer also stopped. Symptoms lead me to the speed sensor, which failed tests. Finally found a used one. Now that I have a good one & a broken one I plan to attempt to reverse engineer a replacement. Appreciate getting some more broken sensors since I will likely have to completely destroy several in the process. So please contact me if you have a broken speed sensor to contribute. I totally agree with others that odometer indications are meaningless given speed sensor failures, ease of access and the ability to disconnect.

2. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Rich,

Do you have a part number?

Mike

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There are the early ones and the late model ones. Which one are you working on?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    His might be the third (later) "electronic" type 116987? (since his Profile shows a euro 308QV)

5. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Rich, i can post the circuit diagram and scope shots, let me now what you need (i am also working on a replacement based on modern parts). Basically there are three different types which are based on the same circuit design, but have different mechanics/body types.

6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I've pulled one apart - THERE IS A TRAP! Let me know if don't know how to do it.

7. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Correct, mine is #116987. Please let's share all the lessons learned and develop a replacement. What is the trap? I would be very interested in the diagram and scope shots but don't want to step on any toes if others are already working on a replacement, but I also might be able to help.

8. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #8 alhbln, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Rich,

below is the circuit diagram of the previous speedo sensor 124146, which is similar to the earlier 106324 and later 116987 sensor type. I've also added an early draft component diagram of your 116987 sensor below as well as a scope shot of a sample sensor output signal at 40 km/h.

Had some discussions with Ferraridoc about a new design some time ago and Patrick was so nice to donate his broken 116987 for further analysis (thanks!), will finish the 116987 diagram as soon as it has arrived.

The two earlier sensors are based on a VR sensor coil with a center tap (thus the three wires), Q2 is switched based on the coil output signal to create a pulse wave type output signal (see scope shot).

My plan was to create a new circuit design based on an automotive grade hall sensor with a permanent magnet installed at the south side, and then add another switching transistor and input filter circuit to adapt to the speedo input requirements. I think that the circuit redesign is relatively simple but am not sure how fabricate the sensor body (mechanics are not my forte).

You are not stepping on any toes, happy to share the work and/or giving support.

Best,
    Adrian
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paul01 likes this.
  9. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Adrian: Great help! Our capabilities are complimentary, I'm the mechanical side with large machine shop including CNC lathes, EDMs, hyperbaric welding and potting and depotting capabilities, etc. I'm 24 year retired engineer for US Navy research lab. We did a lot of reverse engineering. I also have access to the EE side but you have already solved that part of the puzzle. I still need some broken sensors to open up and understand the interal layout.

10. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Rich, excellent! Working in a Navy research lab sounds like a fantastic job to me, BTW :)

You should be able to easily disassemble the broken sensor you have it by uncrimping the top edge of the brass body, then gently pushing the internals out from the bottom side. The internals consist of a white plastic cover (wire holder), the circuit board and the black/brown coil pickup at the end of the circuit (visible through the opening at the bottom).

Patrick has experience in this and can explain in detail.

If you are able to fabricate the threaded brass body then i could try to design a PCB with the hall sensor at the end which can be potted into the body with PU or epoxy, so no additional cover or crimping would be required. Just a thought.

11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #11 alhbln, Oct 17, 2014
    paul01 likes this.
  12. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    #12 Rich in Panama City, Oct 17, 2014
    That info speed me along, I used a dremmel cutoff instead of decrimping. Next to the EE guys. Have you already determined we cannot reuse the threaded body and perhaps even just fix the internals?

13. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hi Rich, Adrian

Looks like you're getting it sorted. As you can see in Adrian's photo, I broke the end off the PCB trying to prise it out, before I discovered it needs to be pressed out from the inside.

Rich has maintained the integrity of the board! I was going to source a Hall Effect sensor (needs to be high temp) online and either machine an adaptor to fit the old housing, or just epoxy the whole thing in, but I'm just too busy and passed the ball.

Let me know how it goes - I think with you two going at it, we should get a good alternative to a NLA sensor that is used across a lot of Ferrari models.

Patrick

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hey Rich, I think I passed you on Thomas Dr on the 4th this past summer. I have a bay home in Lynn Haven and we are down in PCB a lot.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey Rich, I think I passed you on 98 in early August this past Summer. I have a beach condo on Thomas Drive and we are down in PCB every Summer. :D

Plus I've already verified it wasn't TatCat. Looks like we need a gathering!

16. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Adrian, I always enjoy your posts :) Thanks :)

I am curious about the one transistor that has no connection to the collector. I know they have always been that way but I can not understand why. Do you know what is up with that?

Thanks again :),
    Paul

17. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Tommy, Jim: that was likely me, we live just off Thomas Drive on the south side of the Lagoon about a mile west of Capt Anderson's. We were just in B'ham for the Vintage Motorcycle weekend at Barber on our way to (hometown) Indy. Please let me know the next time you will be in the PC area, we spend most weekends at Indian Pass but next weekend is the wonderful British Car show in Fairhope, AL. I know of five 308's in the PC area including TatCat, his is blue. Initial response from two EEs is "simple, we can prototype then send to production house for cheap production".

18. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    We were leaving Bay Point heading out to see a friend down on Rosemary Beach when you passed me. I knew I would eventually find you here :)

(and after 40 plus years I still love Anderson's.)

19. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    We're very close. Our place is at The Dunes of Panama, across the street from Mr. Surfs and Fins. I should invest in Fins my wife eats there so much.

Back on topic: I'd be interested in a sensor if you get them made, assuming it fits a 328....

20. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    You can reuse the threaded body and also fix the internals (see also http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/416720-308-early-speedo-drive-sensor-repair.html) but not everyone has the skills and it is probably more convenient to create a modern replacement. If you think fabricating the brass threaded body is feasible then i could do a prototype circuit board for testing.

The transistor without the collector connection is behaving like a diode, except that it has a lower voltage drop than a standard diode. Nowadays you probably would use a schottky diode instead of a half transistor.

21. Rich in Panama City

Aug 29, 2013
    Panama City Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Rich Roesch
    Jim: sent you a private message. We are 2 blocks away - north on Venus.
    Adrian: I will ask the EEs to look at each solution. No doubt I can make the body but also like the idea of reusing the original. So far I have one body. I paid $185 for the used one now installed. Still need more broken ones for the bodies and also to understand what fails and why. My intent would be to share the info at no cost. Perhaps someone like SR or Unobtanium Supply would offer rebuilt speed sensors to those who cannot do it themselves. Is that a good approach? I'm asking as the rookie here.

22. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Thanks! I am looking at this circuit because I am trying to build something similar to get the speed signal into the Arduino for the electric MG. I have a magnetic hall sensor and I need to trigger a digital pin. I think with your layout I have a good place to start. Thanks again :)

23. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    FYI, the earlier sensors usually fail because oil enters the body through the axle seal and then damages the 1.5nF capacitor. Less common defects include a failure of the transistor or a wire break for the coil wiring where it enters the PCB. I have one sensor in for repair from John, where i think that the magnet itself failed due to age.

The later type is pretty well sealed, so the more common defects are failures of the transistors or a coil wire break. (Patrick, on your sensor the coil windings had developed a defect, the components were in pretty good shape).

From my experience this only works if you ship ready to install products, as automotive dealers and workshops quite often don't have the experience to produce or rebuild electronic components, but rather outsource this to specialized suppliers.

Best,
    Adrian

24. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    That is quite straightforward :) A hall sensor usually has a Vs, GND and Out pin. Wire "Vs" to the Arduino's "5V" terminal, "GND" to GND and "Out" to one of the digital input ports. Configure the input port to activate a pull-up (PORTx |= (1<<Pxn)) or solder a 10K resistor as pull-up to Vs and Out.

25. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #25 alhbln, Oct 26, 2014
    Did a first draft design of a new hall sensor based circuit board. This board fits into the original brass housing, and will be potted in place with epoxy or PU. No further parts are required except the wire trunk with connector.
    I'll build up a prototype next, if that works out as expected we need to think about how to produce the brass body.