Need help accessing Ferrari 456 rollover valve and vent valve | FerrariChat

Need help accessing Ferrari 456 rollover valve and vent valve

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by carguy246, May 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    My fuel tank seems to have an over pressure problem. I am trying to access part nos. 3 and 32 on this diagram to test and/or replace them. I removed the panel covering the gas tank and can see that these are located on the left side up inside a hole under the rear deck, but I can't get my hand up there to access them. Has anyone replaced these? Do I need to remove the tank or will removing the rear deck work or is there some other way to access them? Thanks very much. Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Sorry, I have no advice but can you please explain the over pressure problem and the relationship to the valve?

3. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
  4. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    I think I have this problem. Please document your work for us.

5. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
    * We removed entire tank to replace rollover valve on 456M.
    * Unrelated, but tangential: If you have gas fumes inside the cabin and you think it might be coming from tank in trunk, then spend the money and have a mechanic put pressurized smoke through gas filler cap entry point; this will help identify if a leak exists in that system and the point of origin. Spent 1.5yr trying to identify (through process of elimination) this origin and it was not worth it; I should have just smoke tested and been done with it. Lesson learned.

6. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks very much for responding, that is helpful.

I did have a slight fuel smell in the trunk, not the cabin. I thought I got rid of it by changing the four fuel lines, but when I filled the tank back up it seems to have come back, but is not very noticeable. I am thinking that the over pressurization is causing the smell by forcing out a small amount of fumes or fuel out as I cannot find a leak. So I plan to fix the over pressurization and then decide if I need to smoke test the system. As I have to take the tank out to get to the rollover valve, I'm going to start by checking to see if the charcoal canister is blocked, which would also cause the over pressure. If that is ok, I'll have to pull the tank and check the rollover valve etc.

Thanks again.

7. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    So your leak was rollover valve?

8. losgatos789

losgatos789 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stu
  9. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I'm still working on mine, but here is an update. There is an access panel on the driver side rear wheel that allows access to the rollover valve and other items without removing the fuel tank. You jack up the car. Remove the wheel, remove access panel, remove two screws holding the separator and all of it comes down as one unit. You may have to remove one of the vent hoses to the fuel tank to get it out.

On my car it appears it is the vent valve that is the problem. Rollover valve seems fine. I just received a new vent valve today. I will install it tonight and report back. Thanks to all that provided help and info.

10. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    The earlier diagram I posted was actually for a later car. My car has the system shown here. My over pressurization was caused by the vent valve, #13 in this diagram. I was able to get a new one from Algar. Problem solved. Image Unavailable, Please Login