Need help....Keep 458, or go F12 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help....Keep 458, or go F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Pazzo009, Dec 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Even I’m now debating an f12 after reading this tread. Very insightful.

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  2. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the heritage. I literally feel like european royalty driving around in my F12. The long hood with the V12 in it almost makes the car alive, like an animal. Having the cab be more towards the rear adds to the feel. I love this feeling of having a modern car that has echoes of great cars of the past.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    That is true. And you know the link to all the famous classic front engined V12 cars. The sound is otherworldly.

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol. Just get the ff and keep the 458 and call it a day.

5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol! Which is the taco and which is the steak?

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Who knows!
    :D

7. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    The FF is great car but it would be not my cup of tea. Plus I have the M5 thats AWD and I'm very happy with it.

8. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    You are in your thirties — keep the 458 and drive the hell out of it.
    Used to love mid engine 8s and have owned several over the years. Maybe it is me but now that we are surrounded by turbocharged engines, each time I get behind my V12 car it seems a very dignified experience; you feel it. For a while I thought about getting rid of my V12 but then I drove the 488 and it just didn’t feel that special to me. In my 30s I used to track my cars etc , now that is not that appealing to me (or driving too agressively).
    You only know when you are ready for a V12 but it is more than just a purchase decision, more like a lifestyle. Know several folks that bought V12 cars (from mid engined cars) and hated them — very different cars and more involving to drive fast (read harder). The 458 will make you look like a hero each time, F12 be more careful
    I for space and financial reasons try to get cars that fit a particular mood / mission: 2 door mid (fun drives) 2 door V12 (longer drives, club events trips), family car etc. Every time I have bought cars that replicate each other ... inevitably you ending up selling one (and usually lose $ in the process).

Bundy, Jasflora, italiafan and 2 others like this.
  9. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Very well said and articulated. Thank you very much.

10. Dontbethatguy

Dontbethatguy Karting

Nov 25, 2017
    ATX
    I bought my F12 a year ago, and it was my first Ferrari. I then added a 458 Spider to the stable this past summer. To say they’re different is an understatement! I always describe my F12 as Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. It can be so comfortable, quiet, and docile when you want it to be. Then, you can throw it into some corners with aggressive throttle and feel like the car is trying to kill you! The sound of the V12 is nothing short of intoxicating, and it’s definitely a LOT more rare to see vs. a 458. But, I do love my 458 when I want to drop the top. It’s a lot more predictable and controllable vs. the F12. But, it’s not as comfortable or roomy. This is why I own both. I love both cars for what they are. The F12 is notably faster, as expected, but the 458 is so much fun to pitch into corners. I lowered both cars with Novitec springs, so they’re both pretty nice to look at.

It’s all personal preference. You really need to drive one to make your decision. I was shocked by how different the two cars can be, so driving one will likely make your mind up one way or the other quickly.

Trevor
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

cosjoh88, ncm6cabrio, Makuono and 4 others like this.
  11. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    Both of your cars are gorgeous. Thank you for the insight. This is still a tough decision and I'm still weighing everyones input. Thanks again to everyone.

I lower all my cars as well. It dramatically changes the look of the car.

12. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    F12 is much less chuckable than a 458, perhaps wait for 812 which with 4WS and next ten tech feels smaller and more centred than F12 (I have had all 3).

of2worlds likes this.
  13. PJ72

PJ72 Karting

Jun 1, 2017
    If you do track work why don’t you keep the GT3, sell the rest and think about the F12? Personally I don’t think there is a better all rounder and street legal track car than a GT3. Yours looks gorgeous by the way. And if you want a V12 to go with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LARRYH likes this.
  14. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think my GT3 is an awful street car. It’s a car that’s at its best on the track and out of its comfort zone on the street. Generally my last choice for going down the street for a litre of milk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iloveferrari likes this.
  15. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Worse with the manual .2 gt3 to buy milk.

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  16. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I disagree, it's an all round great car. For what it's capabilities are, I think the ride quality is superb. The PDK is by far the best DCT transmission I have ever experienced. The 991 GT3 still impresses me. However, for me personally where it falls short is the interior. I'm just not a fan of the Porsche interiors. They are very bland IMO. My maxim is; where do you spend the most time admiring your car, from the inside. If that is lacking, my appreciation for the car will lack as well. When you sit the 458, you know you're in something special and sexy.

While it would be a lot of fun, for me it's not worth it. The maintenance aspect compared to my E36 M3 is drastic. Second, I'm always so concerned with damage...even the slightest going off track at the tracks I go to could be very serious. So every time I would track it, I never pushed myself to the limits. While it was still very enjoyable, and impressive, I still have more fun in the E36. I'm not as concerned in that car, and the visceral experience overall is much more enlightening. The car is fully gutted, so you hear everything, you smell everything, and you feel everything...Plus....Manual.

17. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Find a nice f12 spec you like. Drive 458 there. Test drive f12 and if you like it then you can trade it in. I own a 458 and have driven an f12 two years ago. Although I still have my 458 if the delta was much closer I would have been tempted to trade it in.

18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I currently own a 2013 Spider and drove my friends newly purchased F12. The F12 is a great car BUT I love the open top of the 458 and the exhaust note. I want to get an F12 but i don't think I'll get rid of the 458 Spider. As others have said, get both and that way you can opt for the top down mid engine experience or the V12 front engine experience. Best of both worlds and you don't have to compromise!

19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    +1

4_Eff_Sake likes this.
  20. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    I would choose a well specced 458 over a basic F12, but a perfectly specced F12 would be my prefference over an "average" 458.

saraojo and Pazzo009 like this.
  21. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    You lost me with that comment.
    It's not feasible to fly somewhere to drive one, but you are OK pulling the trigger on one having never driven one?
    And 'having a 458 & an F12 is not prudent financially', but you possibly want an F12 having never driven one?

I am sure you can arrange some kind of a 'vacation' near a dealer that has one, or a 'business trip', or
    something like that?

22. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    It depends on where it is... I have a 3 & 7 year old...and I go away on snowmobile trips, and track trips. My wife is cool, but I must choose my battles wisely. Including her is not feasible either unfortunately because we have no sitters.

Thats the reality of it...But ya never know. I'm still on the fence about getting one, however the feedback has been very helpful and appreciated.

23. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Can you find a way to include all of them into a trip to Disneyland, Disneyworld, or even Las Vegas, someplace where
    there is an F dealer AND an attraction for the family?
    I DO totally understand about choosing your battles wisely, but this is an EXPENSIVE battle you are
    trying to.... plan? You need lots of 'recon' before you 'spend the first salvo'...

24. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Great color on the f12. Is that tdf blue?

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Seen a lot of these threads over the years. All new F12s were purchased around $400K +/- and were snapped up with no question. Here's my take:

Image Unavailable, Please Login