Need help on a 360 spider | FerrariChat

Need help on a 360 spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by Carrj0886, Aug 23, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Ok guys I need some help here. A friend of mine bought a 2002 360 spider. Bought it from a guy that inherited it. And I'm struggling to understand what's happening with this car.

Get in the car, close the door hit button on fob. Turn key in ignition. Nothing happens. Alarm sound inside the car is on. Nothing at all on the dash lights up except a red warning triangle where the information screen is.

The car has a new battery and only two black key fobs

2. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Start simple. Is the battery ok? A weak battery and the whole electric system can act crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Qavion likes this.
  3. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr

Yes we checked the battery he even bought a new battery just to make sure. Absolutely no change at all.

4. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Hook up a OBD and see if there's any codes

Marcoboxer and Carrj0886 like this.
  5. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    I will try this today

6. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Ok guys, no codes.

7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Are you sure you have the sequence right? I do one click on ignition, THEN button on fob, wait for Check Ok, then turn on.

Carrj0886 likes this.
  8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Strange. You would assume that the instrument panel is getting some kind of power for this symbol to appear. I would still check the instrument fuses in the frunk (F8 and F14)

If the red warning triangle is illuminated, it could be that your (crash detection) inertia switch has been activated, but I have never heard of these kinds of symptoms before. Have you simply accidentally pushed the hazard button?

Inside the car? Do you mean the instrument binnacle is buzzing, or the alarm siren is going off?

If it's a power issue, try to figure out what is working and what is not. Interior lights? With the ignition on, do your external lights work? Horn? Do the windows open/close?

9. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    Do the doors lock?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. FatMike

FatMike Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 4, 2018
    Marco Island, FL and sometimes NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What happens when you press the button on the fob? Do you get a beep and a light flash?

When does the alarm start to sound?

Maybe take a video of the entire process and post here?

/

Carrj0886 likes this.
  11. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr

Ok so open car get in. Hit button on key fob, no chirp lights flash led indicator left side of steering wheel flashes and goes off. Insert key. As soon as you turn the key on the alarm inside goes off

12. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Yes

13. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    No I'm not sure sequence is correct just going off what the owner says was the procedure

14. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Nothing interior wise comes on. No external lights, no horn. The security light on the radio is working, the binnacle alarm thing inside is the alarm I speak of but very fast pace. Red warning triangle on dash is the only sign of power to the cluster.

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #15 Qavion, Aug 23, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    So definitely a power issue. It's almost as if your frunk battery cutoff switch is in off, but somehow you're still getting some power. Can you cycle the cutoff switch?

There are a number of critical fuses:

1) Maxi fuses near the battery:

These are permanently connected to the battery, so take care when checking these.

2) Fuse 80 behind the driver's seat for power to the ignition key.

This is also live. Also check fuse 72.

If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at both ends of the fuses (battery cutoff switch not in cutoff) with your negative (black) multimeter probe to a good chassis earth.

Carrj0886 likes this.
  16. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr

I will look into the fuses more in depth, I did turn the cutoff switch before changing battery and turned it back to on when I was done, no change.

Qavion likes this.
  17. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    When you press the fob button, you should hear 2 beeps, then the OK comes on. Once in a while mine goes a little cuckoo and I wait a few seconds and hit the button again.

Now I did have a really crazy glitch when I first took the car out this year and tried to put the top down. Everything was reversed. It cleared itself afterwards.

18. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Ok so that's what I'm missing in part. I have no beeps. I click the fob outside lights flash one or twice can't remember now, and nothing inside happens. Insert key and hit button same result. If I turn the key then the alarm inside comes on and a warning light on dash. If the car was shut off in gear would that cause any of this at all?

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Alarm issues are not going to cause interior/exterior light problems or horn problems. The horn runs directly off the battery via a maxifuse (next to the battery). The instruments use the same maxi fuse as one source of power (the instruments also use ignition key power). If that maxi fuse is ok, then you have battery power or battery earth issues (including battery cutoff issues). The latter are rare, but they do happen.

Similarly, interior lights run directly off battery power (via fuse 72... fuse 70 on earlier cars... and the big battery buss terminal behind the driver). It won't be this fuse causing issues. It's something further upstream, closer to the battery. The Immobiliser also needs live battery power (via a fuse below the horn fuse). This is probably why the immobiliser is not working properly.

Carrj0886 likes this.
  20. Carrj0886

Carrj0886 Rookie

Aug 22, 2022
    Full Name:
    Joshua Carr
    Ok I'm headed back over there maybe tomorrow so I'll dive deeper into it and start pulling fuses and checking grounds and what not as well

Qavion likes this.
  21. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Not really sure what button you are hitting after you insert the key. I have a 3 pedal manual and there is no start button. I just turn the key and the car starts.

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    The immobiliser fob button.

23. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Ok, that's what you press once and the car beeps twice. You don't press it again.

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think Joshua knows this. He didn't get the expected result when he pushed the fob button outside the car, so he tried it again inside the car with the key turned.

25. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Got it.

Mine gets confused once in a while and it'll beep 3 times and it won't start. I just wait a few seconds and it fixes itself.