Need help sourcing 10mm thin walled spark plug socket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help sourcing 10mm thin walled spark plug socket

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Dan, you want a 5/8" spark plug socket...preferably the kind with the rubber donut inside to retain the plug as you withdraw it, and insert it. They are inexpensive at the auto parts store or online. You probably already know, but when installing, turn counter clockwise (by hand, not by wrench) a couple turns until you feel the plug drop off the threads on the hole, then start clockwise to tighten...I have found that helps prevent cross threading. Once seated, use a calibrated torque wrench to set the final value.

whatheheck likes this.
  2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it.

Thanks Dave!

By the way, I purchased a 16mm thin walled spark plug socket and I dry fit it to the new spark plugs I bought and it seems to fit perfect.

Dan

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Both will work as 16mm = .630 and 5/8 = .625

f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Hey Dan,

Any chance you were able to stick it down the hole in the head to see if the socket fits? Thanks in advance!

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Got it.

I understand better now. Thank you!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I will do that soon. Just not have had the opportunity yet.

Wife and I flew to San Diego over the weekend to attend family funeral. Just got back last night here in Seattle.

Now we're here at our son's house in Issaquah all day taking care of our grandson as he has to go to work and my daughter-in-law is just on her way back home from spending the weekend at her parents in Spokane.

Will try the spark plug socket tonight when I get home and will report back asap

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

7. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Hey Dan,

Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but wondering if you had a chance to stick your socket down the hole to see if the Amazon socket fits.

thanks!

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry, I have not gotten the chance to do this yet.......

I tried last weekend but I realized its not an easy task for me as I just had knee replacement and it still hurts like hell....

To access spark plugs I will need to stand by the rear fenders, reach down there to remove coils which is held by two bolts, then pull the coils and by that time my knees are hurting already from standing and bending. (I have osteoarthritis on both knees, replaced one knee 2 months ago and its still healing.)

I will try and do it this weekend.

My apologies.

Dan

9. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    don't apologize, you're doing us all a favor!

whatheheck likes this.
  10. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    OK, I am doing my plugs and coils on my 360 this weekend, I pulled one of my coils and did a "test fit" on one of the plugs in my block, using an extension and my $5 generic, unspecial Autozone spark plug socket. It seemed to grab just fine and I will be using it this weekend. I see no reason to have a special socket to complete this job.

whatheheck likes this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Excellent! Thanks for letting us know.

Dan

12. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dan, best wishes for a speedy recovery. Resist overdoing. We need you healthy so you can post more DIY projects!

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Chris. Very kind of you.

My knee doctor, physical therapist, friends that had knee replacement told me it takes an average of 6 months to a full year to fully recover from total knee replacement surgery. Dang..........that is too damn long....

It's only been 2.5 months since I had my right knee replaced that means I have another 4 to 9 months or so of continued pain and suffering.....

You all have a great weekend.

Dan

14. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Dan, FYI, your thin wall socket will have no issue fitting down the spark plug hole.

I bought a generic harbor freight one just to see if it'll fit and it's by no means thin walled and it fit down the hole no problem. In fact, I don't know why anyone said a thin wall socket was required since the hole is actually quite large in diameter.

whatheheck likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for this great info. Greatly appreciated.

And I apologize again for still not being able to confirm as Im still recovering from my knee surgery and standing on my feet for extended periods of time still hurt my knees big time.

Dan

16. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    whatheheck likes this.
  17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006