Need help tracing a telephone number | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need help tracing a telephone number

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JSinNOLA, Jan 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I am just hoping that someone has the ability to find out where this number is. And by asking here I might be able to save an hour and a halfs worth of driving time.

;)

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    The police have now been notified and they claimed that they could not trace the location of the number.....Does this sound like total BS to you?

What about when someone calls in a bomb threat from a payphone???

If you have the means to help me find this location that would be wonderful!

3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    If you find out who it is... I'll give you the kids across the streets number then they can threaten them all they want, and maybe make it a reality.

4. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    FWIW that number is in Slidell but I don't have an address

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    note to self: when making death threats, make calls from pay phone.

Quite sad that the police do not want to even look into it.

6. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well guys, bad news...

Bruce just informed me that his info says the number is from a pre-paid calling card. So it looks like I may have come to a dead end. I guess all we can do is just hope this guy gets a life and moves on.

Mark, how did you know that the # is from Slidell? Maybe there is a slim chance that this can all be figured out.

7. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    There are a bunch of online search tools that allow you to look up the location for an area code and prefix.

Fone Finder

The Directory

AreaCodes.org

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Just call the number. If someone picks up, ask what intersection they're at.

Later - call again, yadayadayada, just to make sure the intersection is the same.

If you're getting the calls from the same phonebooth and at the same time, and you have some time to kill, go to that area.

When the cell phone rings, answer it and point camera at phone booth, take pics - all the while - staying out of caller's line of sight, and out of earshot of your partner. Keep him on the line as your pal calls the cops, and tells Porky you're scoping the caller. Do not put yourself in harm's way. If cops show up late, at least you've got the pics.

If this isn't feasible, at least go to area to see if phonebooth is in line of sight of some store or whatever's exterior cameras. Make arrangements for a copy of tape to be made available to Porky. I think you can figure the rest out.

9. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I tried calling the number last night; no one answered.

If it was a pre-paid card/phone, you're pretty much SOL. If it was a payphone, unless you go physically searching for the phone, you'll be hard pressed to find the number. 2 things to consider with that: 1. not all payphones will ring if you call them and 2. not all phones display their number on them. In the latter case, you can dial the ANAC number for the area to read back the number. Here in Jersey, it's 958. Don't recall what it is down there.

Tape the calls, notify the phone company and the police. If it becomes serious harassment, they may or may not take notice.

All else fails, change the number, ask to remove the number from the listings.

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Ok guys, here is how this all came to be:

This all started 3 weeks ago after my best friend was accosted by someone we know one evening (we will call her Jane). After words were exchanged my friend and I left the location together in order to avoid any escalation of the events. We took his car over to my house where we talked for several hours about life and a difficult situation he was dealing with.

Apparently while we were at my house someone thought it would be a good idea to key both Jane's car and her brother's car. Both cars need repaints. Anyway, we came to find out the following day that a slew of individuals were swearing that the vandalism was performed by my best friend. Ever since then he has been followed by people we do not know. Tonight, and over the past several days, my friend received several calls from that phone number and was left verbal threats.

I will be in the area where I believe the calls were made on Saturday. I know the chances are close to nil, but I will go to several locations to see if I can find out where this is happening.

To everyone who has shown concern or offered help I really appreciate the kindness. Thanks:)

11. dream cars

dream cars Formula 3
    Regional Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    mike
    Area code and prefix says - Destrehan, LA

12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    That is odd. Every other websearch I have done of this number came back as Slidell, LA. Markpdx came back with the same. This is getting more and more annoying as the time passes!

13. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    JOHN

FORGOT TO TELL YOU

PREPAID CALLING CARD WAS REGISTERED TO A WAL-MART IN HOUMA, LA

HOPE THIS HELPS

BRUCE

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Where's Kiefer Sutherland when you need him?

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Just another fun filled day in Louisiana John? I hope things work out for you and your friend. I hate dealing with silly crap like that but sometimes drama just follows people. TRUST ME I KNOW!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  17. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the support Matt.....speaking of drama following people, this same friend of mine had his brand new BMW keyed at a local athletic club 2 months ago! And my car was keyed the whole length of my driver's side over the summer. Quite frustrating!!!

It is really sad, but some of our peers are jealos of the fact that my friend and I are doing several productive things with our lives. We always go out of our way to never put anyone of these people down, and we frequently just sack up and listen to their incessant BS.

So in a way this is how these certain types deal with their frustration, by taking it out on the ones they should be proud of.

The only thing that we can do is to continue what we are doing, be thankful for how lucky we are, and refuse to stoop down to the level of these low-lifes.

18. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I totally agree. Instead of keying my car I would simply rather have someone attempt to key me. That solves both problems by going to the source. Messing with a car is such a childish thing to do but some people don't mind stooping so low. What goes around comes around and one way or another they will end up getting theres.

19. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Since you know the number, next time it rings, pick up the phone and then leave the phone on on the kitchen counter and go watch TV. Burns up his/her minutes without making you angry. One he/she figures out that they cannot anoy you any more, they will go away (95% confidence level).