Need help with 400i bulb sockets | FerrariChat

Need help with 400i bulb sockets

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Sep 28, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi,

I'm going to update all the bulbs on my 400i series 1 and wonder what bulbs (socket and wattage) should go into;

High beam H1 / 55w ?
    Low beam H1 / 55W ?
    Square Carello Luxor PF front fog lights (nor the newer rectangular) H3 / 55W ?
    Door blade at the end BA9s / 4W ?
    Front wing repeater light (orange domed in side bumper) Ba9s / 4w ?

This is so I can order a full set before taking everything apart.

I'm going mainly for LED's to reduce some strain on the wiring. Also for the interior and gauges.

I have info on the rest and will upload a full list when done. The OM just states wattage but not socket.

Anybody here got a spare trunk lamp, the glass on mine is broken. Or know were I can find one?

Kind regards and thank you
    //Rob

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    These are indeed H1/H3 sockets. Better to stay with 55w as these bulbs are not always operated through relays. Eg: headlight are operated through a 2 contact (blue) relay, except when using the flashing feature of the stalk (in this case that's the stalk that sustains all the amp-draw). OSRAM night breaker or VOSLA for me: the focused beam does provide almost as much light as a cheap 80w (Rallye) bulb.

Not sure about LEDs: for one the cheap bulbs can generate quite a lot of interferences while these old cars are not designed to cope with interferences so your radio may have a bit of static. Also the LED bulbs are usually focused in the wrong direction: unlike most cars, our bulbs are stored vertically, which requires the bulb to emit light "sideways" not forward. The BA9s leds I've bought so far do emit a "blueish" light. These are fine for the coloured lights (warning indicator, pressure alert, etc...) of the dashboard, but not for the illumination of the dashboard.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    For the dashboard illumination, I had better luck with Gu8 bulbs + Gu8 to BA9S converter.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I replaced all of the small bulbs in the rear lights. I sourced from SuperBright LEDS.com. Although our original bulbs are "white" the vendor recommends you use LED same color as the lens. So here are part numbers I used:
    Brake / Tail lights - #1157-R27-T Red
    Reverse light - #1156-CW18-T Cool White
    Blinker / Hazard - #1156-A18T Amber
    When done the blinkers and hazard lights were blinker faster than normal, acceptable but not correct. I ordered an LED flasher CF13GL-02. This did not work; lights did not light at all. I do not have notes what I did next but I believe I sourced a variable resistance flasher from NAPA and it worked with setting full in one direction.
    I replaced my two High Beams with replacement halogens: NAPA #H5001 by Wagner.
    I'm not sure if I later replaced the front white and amber bulbs but sockets are same as rear.
    Ken

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you for all feedback.

All lamps now changed for LED except for high and low beam. Works fine.

Also bought H3 low wattage (400 lumen) LED's for the fog lights as I use them as driving lights. One was cracked but I bought one from a kind Ferraristi that had a spare. Please bear in mind that they need to be short not to hit the H3 cover inside the reflector. The first set I bought did not fit, too long.

For most part I used color coded LED, ie orange for turn signals, red for door convenience lights aso. Or warm white for the non colored ones (parking, reg plate, and interior).

For the rear registration plate light I put some very reflective duct tape on the upper inside of the trunk lid, above the bulbs, and that was a huge difference. Normally it is black or car body color in there. Mine is Blue so not much help from reflection normally.

Same for the instrument clusters, green for backlighting and same color as the warning color for the rest. Dimmer is not used any more.

When taking apart the orange front bumper position lights and red door convenience lights I also decided to swap in new holders. The old plastic had seen better days albeit that the lenses were fine.

Looks better and draws less power. Money well spent.

//Rob

6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren