Need help with a battery cable. | FerrariChat

Need help with a battery cable.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ak Jim, Sep 6, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Took the car apart a while ago (ok a really long time ago) and I don’t remember where this wire attaches. Since it’s on the negative cable I assume it’s some place on the frame but I can’t find the spot. Thx in advance.

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    My car is an '84 400i. I don't have that secondary cable. The main ground goes to the chassis about 6" below the bottom of the battery. Mine has a galvanized plate surrounding the bolt hole.
    Ken

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Same for me (400i), no secondary cable.

As said by Ken, there is a ground post just under the battery tray (inside the fender, above the exhaust), so there is normally no need to "tap" a ground in such a way. Maybe this cable was disconnected from this post?

This being said, there are not so many brown cables in the area, and normally not for ground. Is your engine bay light connected? (would be a positive)

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    After I started putting every thing back together the shape of the wire indicated where it was attached. It is attached to the back of the battery tray where the windshield washer pump bolts on.

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    "Back of the battery tray" does not sound like a ground point, too many sketchy welds to pass current. Take another look on the chassis just above the exhaust manifold shield. Correct ground point should be there.
    Ken

6. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    As a last resort you can attach it to the frame of the windshield wiper motor. That's were the 400i coil is grounded, so should be good enough.