Need help with Brake Squeak! | FerrariChat

Need help with Brake Squeak!

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by drjon, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjon

drjon Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Los Angeles,CA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    My Cali is squeaking so loud almost every time I'm getting embarrassed driving it! I tried the advice of driving 60+mph and slamming on the brakes as hard as possible. It worked for about 2 blocks. Any suggestions before giving up and contacting the dealer? Car has only 4400 miles on it.

Thanks!

2. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Mine too. 3 years old 6000 miles.

3. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    CCB or steel brakes? Aren't CCBs standard now?

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Are you doing it right? It's not a matter of slamming on the brakes as hard as possible. Read about bedding in brakes. http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm.

The idea is to transfer a layer of pad material to the rotors. Not sure if same applies to CCBs but don't see why not.

5. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    The idea is to get the brakes hot and that will "clean" them so the noises will stop for a while. Not that easy to get them hot though so you need to do a few very hard brakes in a row from 50 or 60. I imagine 5 or 6 times would do the trick. Try to do them as fast as possible one after the other

6. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    +1, do it from 80 mph a few times, the squeal will be gone. That is what I have done with both Cali's and over 45,000 total miles in them. Get into the ABS so you know you are really getting the brakes heated up.

Rick

7. drjon

drjon Karting

Apr 30, 2004
    Los Angeles,CA
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the tips, time to give it a try... Stay tuned!

8. Davidcbrown

Davidcbrown Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2011
    rick is exactly right. i would say 80 to 0 full brake depression. 5 x . it ll do it. thats your issue. especially if your car sits

9. mjc_123

mjc_123 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2010
    NYC - Long Island
    For what it's worth, I continue to have brake squeak problems and as the OP said, it is very embarrassing. mine squeaks at very low speeds, such as stopping for red light, during the final few feet. However, sometimes, with top up, it can't be heard inside the cabin even though it's there. Dealer said there is no solution to fix these "high performance ceramic breaks." Since I don't track my car, beginning to wonder if non-ceramic brakes would be better for me (and less costly)...

10. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Trust me, the squeal will go away when you do what my earlier post says. If you get new pads on your car (first Cali needed them at about 21,000 miles after two days at Mid-Ohio:)) the bedding in procedure is quite similar to what I have told everyone to do. It begins a bit easier on the brakes but ends with severe use as I describe. All Cali's must get this bedding in procedure at the factory because fresh pads really don't stop for a crap until bedded in.

My wife has a Porsche Cayenne with steel brakes, the next one will get carbon ceramic because the cc brakes work FAR better and her wheels turn black within a day of washing them. With cc brakes your wheels stay much cleaner!! I must assume that the stock Porsche brakes would not fare well on the track too, cc would be far better.

Rick