Need help with sdl light please!!! | FerrariChat

Need help with sdl light please!!!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Filippo7673, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    so just recently purchased a 99 355 spider. Car has 27k miles all service is up to date major service as well. Just had all fluids changed etc. now new problem is when i drive anything after 4,000 rpm “SDL” comes on with “CEL” car feels like a fuel cut when accelerating. Both lights go off when releasing the gas pedal. Keeps happening more and more often as u drive. So far changed all 02 sensors upstream/downstream, crank senor thermocouplers checked all wiring cats are perfect. Cant solve this problem thou can anyone help out with some input please. Since owning this car about 6months ive drove it only 8-10 miles and has been sitting since

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    SDL means there's a cat temperature problem. Do you have an OBD2 reader. At least that way you could narrow the problem down to one side.

You say you changed the thermocouple/s? Do you know if your thermocouple ECUs are ok? If the OBD2 reader is telling you you have a problem on one side, at least you can swap over the thermocouple ECUs to see if the problem swaps sides.

Wrong air/fuel ratio can also cause overheating of the cats. Have you cleaned your MAF sensor, checked for air leaks, etc.

Cats are perfect? How did you establish that?

3. bcar1

bcar1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 2, 2017
    NYC/NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob
    May be worth getting a laser thermometer to determine if cats are actually overheating vs a sensor issue- you can further diagnose from there. Getting a code reading from odb2 would help as well.

4. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Measure cat temperatures when the light comes on. If it's in the normal range, you have a cat ecu problem. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    After 20 years, these things are a common problem.

Of course if you have an overheated cat, you have a real problem (misfire, bad injector, etc.) that needs to be fixed.

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    1. Read the OBD2 CEL code and see what that is.
    2. Clear the code(s) after each time you try something new.
    3. Let the engine relearn its parameters.
    4. Check to see if you still have the black resin-coated Thermal Control Unit (if so, change them to green ones)
    5. Clear the codes, drive the car until the SDL comes back, pull over and read the temperature of the Cat Converters and see if they are hot or not.
    6. Remove the ECU connector, open its housing, plug it back in. Now you can probe the three temperature inputs to the ECU to see if they are 500mv to 1.5V (normal range) or not.

Armed with that data, we can go to the next step.

f355spider and Pangea like this.
  6. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Ty all have tried everything still no luck.
    Checked for leaks and nothing.........cleared codes as told nothing. Had a wiring diagram from ferrari no tears in wires nothing. Anything else im missing ty all for tour help just want to get this problem solved

7. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    What fault codes are you getting?

Otherwise, the SDL is lit by the engine ECU based on the signals related to the exhaust gas temperatures it receives from the exhaust TCUs. The SDL will also light-up if the connectors of the Thermocouples to the TCUs have bad or intermittent contacts (they need to be very clean as they transmit very low voltage, some 10-30 millivolt. If the Thermocuples, the Thermocouple connectors and the TCUs are confirmed to be good, perhaps you can try with another engine ECU.

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    This could be an ignition problem resulting in raw fuel in the cats with resulting over heating.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I qui
    I quit paying attention to that thread because it is anything but a "how to". Feel bad for Grant, but it was time to sit down and outline a complete step by step plan of attack weeks ago. :( I posted a couple of times, time to start over.

As a totally irrelevant example, I have an EVAP problem on my Toyota truck. The service manual has a 7 page diagnostic procedure to follow and if that doesn't find the problem it referrers to 4 additional diagnostic procedures to be checked.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ian, that is not going to help him.

Filippo, it seems to me that you want to try something easy. If so, buy a $500 Thermal Control Unit and start swapping out each of the three TCUs (left, right, center) one at a time to see if that goes away. Be sure to clear the CEL error code each time after the swap.

Good luck.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, Filippo, my tongue was firmly in cheek ...
    I definitely wouldn't want you to read through 21 pages of confusion. However, I'm not saying there aren't things to be learnt in that thread. The traditional fixes didn't work and the problem was moving around. I think the steps that were taken would have worked for the average F355 ignition fault.

Filippo, could you clarify what you you have actually changed? Thermocouples or thermocouple ECUs? or all 5?

You must be the only person on the F355 forum who has actually seen an official diagram for the 5.2 car. Would you be willing to share it? :D

When you have an intermittent problem like this, it may be necessary to buy a data logging tool which records Motronic ECU data continuously and allows you to playback that data. By the way, we'd be interested to hear what codes you got before even though they don't seem relevant to you.

13. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    This is what we started with

14. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Cant post pics?

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is that a question or a statement?

What is what you started with? A data logger?

16. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    Sorry for delay everyone.
    Again checked all wiring to make sure has good connections
    Change 02 sensors ,crank sendor, tc and tc ecu. (Green ones)
    Now still have cel and sdl. Also at idle car running prob a min getting high temps. Cats were over 400 degrees , wire harness was at about 95. My mechanic tested all temps and still no luck. Hearing a humming sound in intakes and idle control pump was at almost 140 deg. Was at idle for not even 5 mins. Do idle controlls go bad?
    What else can i do. Also have 100 cel cats and are in great shape. Plsass help me out

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    When you say, "idle control pump", do you mean the regulator? If the humming is coming from the idle control valve/regulator, that's normal.

See item 24:

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/air-boxes.html

I'm guessing that your temperatures are in Centigrade/Celcius. 140C seems pretty warm, but I don't think anyone has taken the temperature of this before. There is no motor inside, just a solenoid-operated valve. The idle air regulator allows air to bypass the throttle butterflies when they are closed (at idle). It seems you don't have a problem with idle, so I wouldn't expect this to be faulty. I'm guessing that a stuck-open regulator wouldn't affect the engine too much above idle... The MAF is reading total air flow to the engine whichever direction it takes, so the fuel/air ratio should be normal.

I'll let the experts comment on cat temperatures. The WSM says the CEL flashes at 940C, so you're a long way from that.

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    you know, a few of us had asked what CEL codes you were getting and … mum.

emac likes this.
  20. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Did you put in all new thermocouples along with new cat ecus? Double check the wiring that they are not swapped on the passenger side. Mine got swapped after the major and that kept throwing an SDL.

Qavion likes this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is easy to do and it will cause both a SDL and CEL. The CEL code will be a good clue.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I thought I read he had no codes even after resetting which I found odd.

23. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    I changed crank sensor and its still showing as a code so weird!
    Im sorry if im not answering questions bk correctly this is my first 355 and ty all for ur patience and input gladly appreciated

24. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Filippo Barone
    P0341 was code ?

25. Filippo7673

Filippo7673 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    New York
    Full Name: