Need new cell phone. Advice? | FerrariChat

Need new cell phone. Advice?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JimSchad, Dec 16, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I have a crappy motorola star tac. bad reception, no features. suggestions?

2. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    Jim, I just got Sprint PCS service and a Samsung VGA1000 phone. It is great with lots of features.

3. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    Just got my Nokia 3100...nice, small and free (with a 2year subscripion :) ) My girlfriend got the Nokia 3200...with camera! Very nice...and also cheap :D

4. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Jim,

Check out the new Siemens SL56 phone. Light, compact, sliding design and packs tons of features. I'm picking mine up today!

http://snipurl.com/3fyq

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Matt Lamotte sells phones, PM him.

6. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I have service through Cingular. Can I just buy any phone and tell 'em to plug in my serial # and it'll work? Dont' want to buy a fancy phone and then can't use it, but also hate to walk in to Cingular booth and pick from their crappy selection.

7. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Jim,
    Who is your service through and where are you at?

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I've had Sprint PCS for a about 4 yrs now. I've gone through 5 phones with this company, The current phone that I have is a SAMSUNG SPH- A460. Everything has been fine with the exception of the customer service reps.

9. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Jim,
    As much as I wish it was possible to bring in any phone and have it programmed this is where cellular companies make there money. To be honest I am pretty sure it is possible but all carriers want to sell you a new phone. Your probably going to have to get it from Cingular and have it activated. I am 99% sure Startacs don't have a SIM card which stores all your numbers so unless your corporate store has a data cable to download your numbers from your old phone into your new one your going to have to transfer all that stuff on your own. The Startac was a nice (and probably expensive) phone when it came out but these days you can get a simple Nokia with as many features. The main thing to watch out for is when they offer you a nice phone at a discounted price but will want you to sign a new contract which can be up to two years. If your happy with your service that may not be an issue but at the rate things are changing with the cell phone industry your nice new phone and plan you sign up for today could very well be obselete in the next few months. If you are in a major city where service is generally good for all carriers I would shop around and check into everyone for a new plan. With the new wireless number portability law in effect you may be able to transfer your number to another carrier opening up many more choices as far as phones go. Either way good luck and if you come up on any plans you think sound good let me know. I'll be glad to help with any advice.

10. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    I see that your in Dallas so you should be good to go as far as service goes with anyone. They should have plenty of towers in the area and looking at the coverage maps of the two companies I sell for I see they have plenty of towers in the area. Rob works for Sprint I believe in Texas so maybe he knows the area a little better. What is your current plan if I may ask?

11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Jim

You should be able to buy any phone that works on the type of service cingular provides(CDMA, TDMA, GSM, etc...). Not sure how it works with Cingular, but with T-Mobile I just buy any GSM phone I like and switch the smart card. Phone automatically works.

I was thinking that Matt Karson bought some Cingular stores, he might be able to help you out.

If bucks are no issue for you then www.vertu.com has extremely nice phones. My boss bought one and it really is a work of art. Too much money for this poor mouth though.:)

12. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Thanks! too many options and variables! I called Cingular and they are going to check my plan and see what I can do. I am in Dallas. Don't think I am obligated to stay with them anymore, but who knows. Don't really care to learn all the ins and outs...just want a good phone and reasonable service.

13. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Let me know what they offer you.

14. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

currently have 350 anytime 3500 nights and weekends. free nationwide LD for $39.95. Said I am limited to TDMA phones or GAIT???.

I can upgrade plan to 600 anytime 5000 N&W with free nationwide LD for $39.99 and then I can use the GSM phones.

Will give me a Samsung x427 with 2 year contract for $99 or a Samsung s307 with 2 year for $199

If I buy my own GSM phone and bring it in they will activate for $20 and I of course have to change my plan to allow GSM phone.

15. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    That doesn't sound like to bad of a deal really. You must be on a old plan right now because as you can see the rates have really improved over the years. Are you going ot have to sign a new contract if you upgrade?

16. mighty

mighty Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    I'm looking to buy a new cell phone too...Which service provider would you recommend and what brand (samsung or siemens)? The siemens SL56 seems pretty good but i like samsung too

17. Matt LaMotte

Matt LaMotte Formula 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Where are you at, will you be traveling, where are you mainly going be calling to, how many daytime minutes a month do you think you are going to need, blah blah blah