need one final piece-99 f355 serie | FerrariChat

need one final piece-99 f355 serie

Discussion in '348/355' started by patvulky, Dec 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. patvulky

patvulky Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    new mexico
    Full Name:
    ryan lubert
    Hi folks, Not a frequent of the board, but was looking for some help. My mechanic has had my 99 f355 in his shop for quite some time now. I had him install my new sticy-less interior and get the vehicle really ready for a serious sale (its the f and i really want a 3 pedal---probably a 360), but i digress. it has 7000 miles and im ready for a car to drive rather than sit around for no one to enjoy--especially me! I know its not good to not drive .

My question is this. The driver side air bag light was on and he is still looking for an airbag ecu ---electronic control module. He has been through a few with no success. He is not an amateur by any means and is well versed in both mechanical and electronics. I live in albuquerque so any help would be appreciated.

ryan

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Was something lost in translation here, Ryan? Do you mean the (one and only) instrument panel airbag light was illuminated and the Ferrari SD1 tool told him the driver's airbag was faulty (but he eliminated that as a cause)? Or?

There are mechanics/electricians and then there are Ferrari technicians. The airbag light can be (annoyingly) set by simply turning on the ignition with the instrument panel plugs disconnected. An SD2 tool or expensive equivalent is required to reset the light. Does he have one of these? Also, I'm just wondering how he determined the ECU (specifically) was the cause?

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    All good questions. All this is nothing unless he has an SD1 or SD2 to read the fault, fix it, and then reset the ABS light.

4. patvulky

patvulky Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    new mexico
    Full Name:
    ryan lubert
    Thank you. I will ask him I do believe he tried a few identical parts with no success then moved on to the ecu. I am clueless but it’s been a long time and thought asking on the forum would be wise. I will pose those questions to him and get back to you. Thank you for the guidance!
    Ryan

5. patvulky

patvulky Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    new mexico
    Full Name:
    ryan lubert
    Hi Ryan, I’m sorry I’ve been remiss in updating you. The car service and interior have been done for awhile. The car had the ABS and airbag lights on. The ABS has been diagnosed and repaired. The airbag has been diagnosed, but I’ve run into issues locating the part I need to fix it. New ones aren’t available. I’ve been through purchase and return of 3 separate used ones that were bad, and I’ve got more coming.

this was the message I got a while back. When I asked specifically what the part was he said the ecu.

all good points made above. I will inquire

Qavion likes this.
  6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The 355 airbag ECUs have been unavailable for some time now. The only source is a good used ECU (of which there are not many) or to have your original ECU repaired (which is what I recommend). You will have to find a good ECU repair person/service to fix your ECU.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

Qavion likes this.
  7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If his mechanic doesn’t have the SD and can’t read the fault, which sounds like the case since he is just poking and hoping changing parts and there is a fault somewhere won’t every single good ECU still light the airbag light? He needs to get someone with the proper diagnostic tools and find out what is wrong. If something is sending a fault he can replace ECUs until the end of time and it won’t change anything.

phrogs likes this.
  8. patvulky

patvulky Rookie

Nov 4, 2015
    new mexico
    Full Name:
    ryan lubert
    Brian. Thanks for the info. Can you recommend someone who could possibly repair the ecu. Again I joined the forum to become educated. I knew older Ferraris were difficult in this regard and this is my last piece before I make a real effort to sell my serie so someone can really enjoy the vehicle. It’s just a bit frustrating knowing that beautiful piece of engineering has been sitting for over a year I have to call my shop owner and come up with a plan. Thanks
    Ryan