Need opinions on this 328 for sale | FerrariChat

Need opinions on this 328 for sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by ctnbop, Jan 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctnbop

ctnbop Rookie

Oct 3, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Canh Nguyen
    I’m considering an out-of-state purchase of an 86 328 GTS and would like to get some opinions. It is being offered at http://www.cannillomotorsports.com. Does anyone have any details on this car? I’ve spoken with the dealer briefly and learned that the belt service was done two years ago at 39k miles (is that odd?) as well as a new clutch about a year ago. I’ve also spoken to Russ at RPM Racing who performed the service and he seems to know the car and the previous owner well, although he couldn’t tell me the exact details of the service without digging up the papers. The dealer seems reputable but a bit too busy perhaps to flip through the records. Is it reasonable to ask for a copy of the records, or should the PPI tech report it to me? Would like to get some feedback before I consider scheduling a PPI.

Thanks for your help.

2. Vlad328

Vlad328 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Zuzukin
    Is this the car?
    http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/inventory/ferrari328/ferrari328.html

To answer your question, all you can really do is get as much info as possible from dealer, service department, and prior owner(s) and run a Carfax or Autocheck on the VIN#. If all sounds good, then fly out and inspect and drive the car. Be sure you know what to look for. Then get a PPI and compression test of engine at a reputable 3rd party mechanic in the area. You can get a good mechanic recommended by Ferrari owners in the local area that you can ask here on FChat or Ferrari Owners Club of America. If all is as it should be, buy the car!

Now I've been tracking 328's for a while. I wouldn't say that car is overpriced, but there are certainly better deals out there. Here are a couple:

Lambo Dallas has 1986 328 GTS red/tan with 33K miles for $42,500.

Showroom Auto Sales in San Jose has 1988 328 GTS red/tan with 44K miles for $43,000.

Private owner in Dallas has 1987 328 GTS grigio/black with 73K miles for $37,250.

Also, Exotics 4 Less has inventory from all over the country, and they can beat that price. Here's their web site:
    http://www.exotics4less.com/index.cfm

Finally, Cavallino Motors usually has very reasonable prices on their cars:
    http://www.miamioffices4rent.com/cavallino/

Unfortunately, they don't currently have any 328's listed, but recently sold a 1986 euro 328 GTS red/black with 54K miles for $34,500.

3. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt

What about this one. RESERVE already met. 30K service just done,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6212&item=4518248272&rd=1ady met.

4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I believe this one sold a while ago.

Our very own Tillman's car. No longer for sale.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Actually, no. Mine was $34,995. This is a different grigio/black 328 with 73K miles, believe it or not. It's been on Ebay a couple of times.

Back to the original post, the car appears to be overpriced. However, if you must have a grigio car (and they are gorgeous when clean!), you're going to be limited on your options. For some reason, I have not seen a low mileage grigio 328. I'm not a big fan of red interiors.

One nice thing about that color is that the car blends into traffic, and so you get less of the LOOK AT ME!!!! factor.

6. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Who would've thought there were 2 that color, with the same miles, for sale in the same city? Is this one the 'Highland Park' car that never gets washed? Oh wait, there's another similarity. :)

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    No, that grigio one in Highland Park has a red interior, and only 55K (roughly) miles :)

8. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    To answer your other questions,
    If you ask a dealer to see the service records, and he acts like he's too busy. Walk. If he won't let you get the car inspected by an independant, or dealer. Walk.

9. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I stand corrected, LoD DOES have the red 328 for sale. It's a different car than I thought it was.