need thoughts on 456 troubles | FerrariChat

need thoughts on 456 troubles

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ross, Nov 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    the 456mgta that we bought for my mother a couple months ago has developed a recurring CEL light that we have tracked down to occasional misfire in three cylinders on the left bank.

the possible causes could be the spark plugs, the lead wires, or the coils.

i dont think it is the plugs, just because they have recently been changed.
    it might be the leads since this car has lived its entire life in the heat in florida, texas, and cali.
    coils? are they susceptible?
    thoughts?

second issue
    seat potentiometer. i need one. i will call ricambi tomorrow. but in the meantime, does anybody have a spare used one they would like to sell me?

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    My money is on the wires, esp if they are the originals.
    John Cribb told me they are an eventual trouble spot.
    They have a COP solution available on their website.
    I’d look at the wires first.

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Had a similar problem a few weeks ago. I thought the plugs very beyond reproach, as they are only 15K miles old (replaced 9 years ago by the previous owner!) but decided to changed them anyway. They were COOKED - DONE - KAPUT! I couldn't believe the engine was actually still running on those things. I swapped the old Champion plugs with new Denso Iridiums and now she purrs like a kitten. No more misfire codes.

My take: start with the easiest potential solution first.

4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Can't believe your car was still using the Champions. Those things went out years ago, along with points and distributors :).

I liked, and had always used Denso Iridiums in my boosted cars, but they didn't seem to idle as smoothly in the Ferrari as the NGK's, so I reverted back to the NGK's. Just MHO.

To the OP, yes, check your plugs first before investing in a new set of wires or a new COP system.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- I am running the NGK iridium plugs, too. The NGK plugs that came out of her a couple of years ago still looked good.

6. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Forget the seat potentiometer. The price will cause you to want to hang yourself. Nevermind the labor to install the thing, which is also horrendous if the seat has to come out.

There is a workaround that may work for you, depending on your problem. Sometimes, my seat motors would decide they didn't want to move the seats forward and back. I would say once out of 50 tries, the seat would say, "screw you." I discovered a clever trick. If I got out of the car, lifted the lever at the rear of the backrest and moved the backrest forward as if I were entering the rear seat, and then attempted to move the seat forward and back using the forward/back seat movement button while the seat backrest was positioned forward, this maneuver would reset the seat. The seat would then operate normally while driving until the next random "screw you."

7. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i will try that !
    i did find a seat potentiometer for $250.
    if an alternative fix works, i can probably resell that part since they are virtually impossible to find.

as for the other stuff, we are swapping out the plugs and coil pack. thats the least cost path since the labor is the same for both.

8. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    This helped me after my father of all people tilted the seat and used the seat switch to move it forward with the switch, the seat wouldn't go backwards after the seat back locked in. I tiled the seat and moved it all the way back.. bingo all good.

9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    turns out the seat problem was a small metal cylinder of indeterminate origin was somehow caught in the track. it was removed, and the potentiometer works just fine.
    now we need to figure out where that little cylinder came from ! (roughly 8 mil tall, outer area ridged, inner section not threaded).

looks like misfire was the coil pack. but needs to be tested now that the seat is back in it.

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have a picture?

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Not sure about 456's, but a regular seat runner is two inverted channel sections with a couple of rollers taking the weight, and held by ball bearings trapped in opposed concave sections on the sides of the U channel. Might be worth folding your body into a pretzel and having a peek under there (I doubt it's in a parts diagram)