Need turn signal stalk for BBi | FerrariChat

Need turn signal stalk for BBi

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ross, Oct 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Somehow it got snapped off in transit. I think it is just a FIAT part. I cannot find it on eurospares though.
    Anybody have a cheap source for this ?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I faced that: hard to source best to get it fixed by ODD parts, Jim Simpson he is Amazon he will fix it all.
    http://oddparts.net

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Sorry, but that stalk is not just a Fiat part. It's been "no longer available" for a decade or more. Sometimes used ones can be sourced but it is still a rare part. Try this guy (Verell) if he's still in business: http://www.unobtaniumsupply.com/ He might be able to repair your old stalk. Alternatively Superformance has a stalk on their we site but I don't know if it is the original part, the price though appears original...-:)

http://www.superformance.co.uk/flat12/electrical.html

Best regards

Peter

4. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    Possibly similar to early Lancia Beta? But please do check.

tonyswfla likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I had some 3D printed and it was a pain to get the angles correct. Pretty sure they're in a baggie in my tool box. You transfer your lever into the pivoting base. If you have the lever then it can be easily fixed.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    found the broken stalk. think i can just glue it back into place. or maybe use some kind of plastic weld

7. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've been molding new high strength (fibreglass filled polyurethane) pivot ends onto these stalks since 2003. You can either:

- Just send your broken off stalk & I'll mold a new end onto it.
    - Send me the stalk + your switch & I'll do a full tear-down, clean, de-tarnish, relube & reassembly

You should take a close look at the 'noses' where the other stalks go into their pivot ends for even tiny cracks. The cracks are due to the ageing plastic drying out & trying to shrink onto the incompressable metal stalk. Even a small crack will grow quickly leading to failure sooner rather than later.

You can send eMAIL to: [email protected]. & I'll send you instructions for removing your switch & removing/installing stalks.

If you still want to try fixing it yourself, here's what I went thru when I broke my wiper stalk off: Good luck, Been There:. I’ve only been able to successfully re-attach a stalk once, with many failures, some occurring a few days or weeks after everything was back together. See this FerrariChat thread for my experience, It will help you avoid adhesives that don't work:
    :
    ADHESIVE FOR REPAIRING COMBINATION SWITCH
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/107784.html

BTW, while I didn't try it back then, Several people have found that JB Weld also doesn't bond to the pivot end plastic either.

The very low success rate is why I began casting complete new pivot ends. The new ones have proven very reliable.

I

pshoejberg likes this.
  8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thank you very much for this kind offer and advice.
    when i dropped the car off at DS they said they had the epoxy to mend it.
    we shall see.
    if/when it fails i will revert to this thread and send it to you.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I once saw the whole switch assembly brand new on the desk at Moorespeed…..with a crack in it...:D

Have them remove it and let Verrell do his excellent work, as noted glue will be messy and not effective..

10. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I’ve had Verell repair switch clusters twice (2 different 308s). Do not mess around - send it to him for a complete overhaul. There is no substitute. It will be better than new.