Nevada police find wrecked $300,000 McLaren supercar in the desert | FerrariChat

Nevada police find wrecked $300,000 McLaren supercar in the desert

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Viperjoe, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    2 things

1) incredibly impressive! Glad they survived.
    2) this explains the exotics I saw going down the Strip on Sunday morning. It was a rally. In that rally were 2 Pagani Zonda's (one a spider).

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    The car is SOOOOO fast and SOOOO FORGIVING you don't realize how fast your going.
    It makes you feel like Senna or Andretti without THEIR talent.
    The car is a tank durability wise, Thats why I got the luxury leather package, I'm in 7th gear at 55 haaaaaaaaaa
    Enjoying the slow ride.....
    GTJOEY1314

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Car stolen?

tifoso2728 likes this.
  5. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
  6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    No.
    Report says car/occupants were taking part in a rally.

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Fortunately they walked away, thanks to the carbon tub. Any other car, probably not.

F2003-GA likes this.
  8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree on both accounts. I'm looking forward to hearing how it happened and at what speed she left the road. I suspect it was 120-130, but we'll see.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm surprised at how well that center section of the roof held up. The roof portion of the door (passenger) looks collapsed along with the a-pillar. I thought it was glass at first, but it looks like it's not a glass roof car based on the driver's door. I wonder how the glass would've held up.

10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It actually was a glass roof car. One of the videos of the debris field showed the gorilla glass intact as once piece lying on the ground.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Her car had glass roof panels, they had actually been replaced a couple times under warranty because of spontaneous stress cracks. Earlier this year McLaren changed the design of the seals as well as the supplier of the glass panels. The new ones (now sourced from Isoclima instead of Corning) seem to be holding up much better.

12. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    You get a pretty good idea of what happens in this video from a YouTube vloger who's on the same rally. Last 1/3 of the vid is what you want to watch.

13. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I had seen the video but was waiting on more details about the speed and to know if it was a straight off or rear in gravel when it broke loose.

I'm not going to bash the driver, but in general I do not understand how people drive at such high rates of speed on roads they are unfamiliar with. It's one thing to be on your "home course", but to be on a rally driving a road she presumably hadn't been on before at a speed fast enough to loose control and roll just makes no sense to me. I'm also not a fan of most of these rally's where cars are whored up with stickers galavanting around public roads. It just seems to be a setting begging for issues and accidents IMHO.

14. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Kind of weird how everyone there is basically condoning her behavior. For some reason I can't imagine the same reaction here.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Looks like she went around a corner and went into the gravel. For sure traveling really fast. No way that was at the speed limit.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #16 TheMayor, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    The Mac life guys are fawning over this. Weird.

Neither the laws of the State of Nevada nor the laws of Physics seem to be of any value to them.

This is a really serious crash. Many people could have been hurt. Just because no one was doesn't excuse this kind of behavior.

If you criticize her for going 120+ mph around a curve "making a mistake" and rolling 2 times in the desert you're a "pontificating knucklehead".

Sorry, the knucklehead was behind the wheel.

waterking and LI2782 like this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Thankfully she didn't hit another car let alone kill anyone.

waterking and Gmaccormack like this.
  18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Appears that the original FOX story of an "abandoned" supercar in the desert is click bait. In reality, the whole world was there right after the crash.

19. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    yeah it's stupid. On that mac forum the guy who pulled them out of the wreck was respectful but hinted at how ****ing dumb she was driving just before the crash. Over 100mph and over the double solid line into oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter how good the car Is when the human operating it is just not a good driver and driving beyond their own limits. 100% preventable crash that was cause by driver error.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes. In fact a Lambo Hurracan on the same rally was right behind the 720 and saw it. They got the passengers out of the car and called 911.

21. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I saw that from the guy. He seemed like he wanted to bash her but stopped just short.

The speed limit out there is only 50 mph. It is a fun road with long sweeping corners. The road does encourage you to go fast but like I always say, just because you can doesn't mean you should. She owned up to it though and I respect that. We all have done stupid things, just glad no one was seriously hurt.

22. Gmaccormack

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't think he wanted to bash her but wanted to tell what he saw being just one car away from her in the lead up to the crash. Sounds like she was taking the racing line and just missed a turn. She did own up to it but is minimizing her errors. If your driving into oncoming traffic lanes just to drive faster then I don't have anything kind to say. Incredibly reckless to say the least.

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, she should not say anything on social media. Could be trouble in the investigation

ekovalsky likes this.
  24. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Well given her decision making on that road I'm not surprised with her decision making on being public about what happened.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm sorry but exotic drivers driving like this hurts all of us. Nothing wrong in bashing someone crashing at 120 mph on a public street!

I don't care if its a Honda or a Ferrari or a Bugatti or a McLaren. It hurts us all when this happens.

waterking and crinoid like this.