Nevada police find wrecked $300,000 McLaren supercar in the desert | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nevada police find wrecked $300,000 McLaren supercar in the desert

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Viperjoe, May 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Jesus Christ! Glad they walked away alive.

2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Was the road closed for the event? Just curious, because there are a lot of closed road events here in Nevada. I dont condone reckless driving but if the road is closed then whatever. 720s is wicked fast real quick and at crazy speeds if the driver reaction is slow that could be a difference of 2 feet and on NV roads where there is little distance to gravel things can go bad quickly.

3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Nope it was a ny to SoCal rally. All open roads.

frefan likes this.
  4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I wrote that and meant it!

It seems that whenever someone has an 'incident' on the road, all of the preachers come out, banging their chests about speed and public roads. Unless you have never bent a speed law, was involved in said incident or never made a mistake behind the wheel, you have no right to criticize someone and an incident you really have no knowledge of other than some internet pictures and videos.

After founding and running an FCA region for almost 20 years, I was shocked that most of these characters are more concerned over what valet spot their car deserves, rather than finding the right apex through a corner. And don't ask about going to a track day. After beating my head against the wall for participants, it was suggested that we have a detail service and massage therapists at the track to attract participants. Every drive turned into a 5mph under the limit parade, until I would take off and meet the group at the destination. Hopeless and hapless.

I'm not a fan of those rallies, but at least they drive their cars (that Mac had 20k miles) as intended. Unfortunately, things happen in life. As I stated on that forum, you shake it off and pick up the pieces and move on and to hell with the preachers that are basically full of it.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Then you were wrong. The guy in the Lambo behind her said it happened at 120 MPH on a road we know has a 50 MPH speed limit.

So I meant it when I said she was the knucklehead, not the people saying she was wrong -- and darn lucky she didn't kill herself or someone else.

HERE is something to think about. If she HAD killed someone in that crash, she wouldn't be in the hospital. She'd be in JAIL.

Yes, "things happen in life". People make stupid mistakes. Like telling people who criticize her for reckless driving are "pontificating knuckleheads" just because she was in a McLaren.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Driving fast is one thing but driving like an idiot is something completely different. I drive fast but careful, it's not for everyone. Most people dont have the skills or awareness to be safe. I think in this case it wasnt just speed but also bad decision making and poor skills.

We've all seen these people on the road all too often.

7. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Finding the right apex through the corner? On a public road? Ok it's a public road not a racetrack. Just because you can afford a expensive car doesn't mean you possess the skills to drive it fast or have critical thinking skills. Stop making excuses for ****ty driving.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The real test for some of these "excusers" is this:

Would you be so quick to chastise critics of her crashing at 120 MPH on a public road if she was in a Camry and not a McLaren?

I am extremely happy she likes to drive her car and not park it in a garage. I'm extremely happy no one was seriously hurt. And the engineering of this car probably saved her life

But it was wrong do to do this and saying so is also not wrong.

Gmaccormack likes this.
  9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed calling her out is not wrong. I am still glad she owned up to it but it doesn't make what she did right.

10. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    She owned up to it, true, but I truly don't understand why anyone would post potentially self- incriminating remarks on the internet which will be evidence forever.

TKSA likes this.
  11. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Simple: some people can't resist getting attention wherever possible.

12. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Trouble is, performance in today's supercars really demands a race track in order to feel like the car is doing much of anything, meaning people have to get to racetrack speeds to enjoy the cars on the road. 20 or 30 mph over the limit in a 720s? Boring.

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If you read my post, it was more about the holier than thou crew that know little to nothing about an event, but are all of a sudden experts. It had nothing to do with what she was driving. Chances are most of the critics barely drive their cars to coffee, or jockey for the best valet spot let alone a track.

My point is nobody really knows what happened except her. Fortunately, the only thing that was hurt was a car and her pride and she learned a lesson that electronics can only go so far, before physics rules the day. Time to move on. Unless you have never done anything remotely risky in life or a car, these folks should keep their opinions to themselves... but they won't. You have to love the internet! :)

14. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    So, that is just your opinion?

15. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I don't think so....the absurdity of this situation is the fact that the lady admits online to breaking the law and crashing her car even as there continues to be an insurance and police investigation, and the brash commentary on the Mclaren forum condoning irresponsible behavior. Insurance rates for everyone go up because of some schlepp's irresponsible behavior. There is also likely a pretty good chance that most of us have experience with high powered cars on a track, and have a working understanding of the laws of physics.