Nevada Sales Tax Trade In Question | FerrariChat

Nevada Sales Tax Trade In Question

Discussion in 'Las Vegas' started by AndrewG2, Oct 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    I'm trading a car in for a car from a California dealer who is delivering the car to Nevada.

The car I'm trading in was registered in Nevada and sales tax was paid to Nevada.

The new car will be registered in Nevada.

I'm assuming I won't have to pay any sales tax on the new vehicle because it was a trade in for a car registered in Nevada.

The car I traded in covered the entire cost of the new vehicle.

I am concerned that due to the fact I purchased it from an out of state dealer they may charge me sales tax.

I tried calling the DMV but they're too busy to answer.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Thank you,

Andrew G

2. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Here is what I can tell you from my own experience.

Nevada only gives you a sales tax trade-in credit on sales from a Nevada dealer to the best of my knowledge. Be prepared to pay Nevada sales tax.

Out of state sales will require a VIN inspection at the DMV as well as a Nevada smog certificate and proof of insurance in order to register.

Is the dealer giving you a California pink slip?? Are you getting the title at the time of purchase?
    What is the price paid going to be shown as on the paperwork from the dealer?

Best of luck at the DMV. Keep smiling and be extra nice. It will be worth it.

http://www.dmvnv.com/regoutofstate.htm

In 1998 when I bought my 355 GTS F1 from Ferrari of Los Gatos I drove through the VIN inspection and went inside and paid sales tax and registration and walked out with plates ten minutes later. Smog wasn't required because the car was new.

I went through a two-week goat rodeo when I tried to register my Boss Hoss Trike I bought from a private party in Oregon. I knew all the inspection guys by their first names before I was able to get a plate. I think they got sick of me and finally signed off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    So it all worked out and I didn't have to pay any Nevada Sales tax.

I traded in my car with a California dealer. I received more money for my car than what I traded it in for.

I took delivery of the car in Nevada, got the smog done and the VIN inspection at the DMV.

They treated it like they would a trade in that took place in Nevada. I also received credit for the remaining balance of my registration fees on my old car.

I have to say the people at the Henderson DMV are friendly real easy to deal with. A far cry from any California DMV I've ever dealt with.

XENU thank you for your prior response.

daytona355 and anunakki like this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One of the great things about buying a car in Nevada over California.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. Petto

Petto Rookie

May 17, 2019
    6530 Trask Terrace Alexandria, VA 22315
    Full Name:
    Petto

I can recommend a good accountant