New 348 owner - any more "quirkiness" I should be aware of? | FerrariChat

New 348 owner - any more "quirkiness" I should be aware of?

Discussion in '348/355' started by larrymika, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larrymika

larrymika Rookie

Jul 20, 2021
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Larry Mika
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my last post about being able to operate the parking break correctly. I was able to get the car licensed today at the DMV in only 30 minutes, so I thought it was going to be a great day!

But the gas gauge was on E and I needed to fill it up pronto. When I stopped at the gas station, the inside door release decided not to work. So I rolled down the window to press the button on the outside. That didn't work either. I had to climb over the gearshift and out the passenger side. Then, I was struggling to pop the gas cap cover. Pushing down firmly on the button had no effect. I "popped" it pretty hard a few times with my finger and that didn't work either. It was out of gas, so I had to use the key in the gap between the cover and the side of the car to fool with that shiny steel pin, and finally got the door released. Then the car started rolling. The parking brake light was on but it clearly wasn't engaged enough. Reset the brake, filled the car, etc. Was able to climb back in through the driver's door. The mousetrap shoulder belt didn't move so I gave it some manual assistance. Then when I got home, the gas cap door was wide open.

Is this kind of quirkiness typical? Or do I need to take the car in to the shop to get stuff like this sorted as the problems arise?

Any other weird things that happen from time to time that anyone is aware of? I'm starting to wonder if this car is a bit like the Le Mans track, where it decides who will drive and win.

moldtech likes this.
  2. chopsui

chopsui Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    All three of those issues are relatively common and have well documented and sometimes multiple solutions. I'm on my phone so it's a bit much to type it all out. Others may reply but I would encourage you to search the forum for each issue. Real quickly though, I'm not sure what you mean by pressing the button firmly. If you mean the button on the center console, be careful, it's pretty cheap plastic and pressing firmly isn't going to help since it's just an electronic switch. There is an emergency cable pull inside the engine compartment that you can pull to open the gas door. use that until you get it fixed.

For what it's worth, I had all three of those issues on my car. They're all fixed now. But if you're not handy, sure take it to a trusted mechanic and they'll get it sorted.

3. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    With the gas door open and the car on (but not started) push the button to see if it clicks. If it does, you need to adjust the door and lube the plunger. I'd come help, but you're in Chicago.

best lube is mountain bike chain lube, but that's my opinion. a drop on the plunger and work it in and out.

if NO click, then maybe the fuse or relay.

Other quirks will be slow windows, or the lock unlock button only working from the door.

sjd

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Sep 3, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Lawrence, I assume you have an Owner's Handbook? At least this will tell you the basics (including where fuses and relays are).

As Steve says, the gas cap lid release needs the ignition to be on. Listen for the release solenoid on the mechanism clicking. I don't know if you've damaged the lid or the release button. Just give the lid it a firm push to close and try again.

If the car hasn't been serviced for a long time, it's likely your handbrake is not adjusted properly. If you are not mechanically inclined, have someone who is familiar with Ferraris adjust the mechanism.

For the door lock, you may have to pull the door liner off and inspect the mechanism for detatched links or remove the outer door strakes and attack it from that side.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-door-handle-adjustment.242408/

5. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Your issues may be possibly a lack of use. Once you start using the car more they will hopefully disappear. Fuel lid pin was sticky on mine, but a bit of lubrication all now good. Be aware though that the tank level can be pretty inaccurate too lol.

6. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Sounds like common little issue that arise; as suggested above possibly from lack of use and or regular attention.

These cars are 30 years old now and do need continual tinkering as these little issues arise.

If your not mechanically minded; either get a trusted mechanic familiar with these cars or who takes care and is willing to spend time on forums like this to learn. Alternatively, now might be the home to learn.

In general there hasn’t been a fault/ failure that hasn’t been found, reported and fixed on here. Whilst searching generally will get you to where you need to be; sometimes you do have to ask, but search first else you will get relatively short shift from people.

Enjoy the car; they are great big go karts.

7. 71type65

71type65 Rookie

Nov 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    71type65
    ...and you think you've got problems:

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Off the top of the head, but there is a lot more, I will be willing to bet xv joints are dues, steering rack putter bushing is shot, ac recirc flap motor has broken gears, hidden ac fuse needs upgrading to glass bullet type, for some reason people monkey with the air screws so banks may need to be balanced, relays and fuses probably corroded which will cause other issues, good chance crank sensor wires are on the fritz, door wiring at close joint is probably damaged do to to time, window bracket in the door is often broken making the window rattle, chassis take is probably off as people lower the front excessively it's a big list if stuff but most of it takes minutes to verify and are quite simple to address, as mentioned all are covered. All minor and all happen over time.

Check my348.com.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There is an "emergency" release lever for the gas cap inside the engine bay just near the suspension strut tower - if it gets stuck again use that.

If I were you I once the gas cap is open apply plenty of lubricant to the plunger whilst pushing it in and out with your finger. Also, I found that depending how far in or out I had the emergency plunger pulled it would affect the latching/unlatching operation via the proper switch. Try adjusting that too before you do anything drastic.

Finally, as mentioned the gas cap release only works when the ignition is on.

Door release is most probably the door pull cable may need adjusting/popped off its grommets - pretty easy fix if your prepared to DIY.

Parking brake sounds like it needs adjusting - if you jack up both wheels on put the car on axle stands you could check whats happening by applying/taking off handbrake and then checking whether the wheels rotate or not.

Had my 348 just coming up to 10 years and pretty much come across all the gremlins that I have documented here. Hope it helps...

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot

EDVTEC likes this.
  10. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    remembering to push the button while the car is still running still gets me 4 years later...

sjd

zddy97210, KevZep and Dolcevita like this.
  11. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    +1 :)

zddy97210 likes this.
  12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ferrari handbrakes are traditionally poor which is why typically the book recommends leaving it in gear

13. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    In earlier Ferrari's yes, but in the 348 and 355 no. The handbrake is actually a drum setup inside the top-hat of the rear brake rotors (discs), this is the same as a lot of more modern park brake systems.
    Its a pretty good system, and if adjusted correctly, which is very easy, then the park brakes are actually reliable and work well.....I never have any problems with the park brake at all in my 348.

However, for example, the 308 park brake, this is a completely ridiculous system but very typical of 1970's parking brakes in Italian cars with rear discs, reminds me of my 1975 Fiat 124 Sport park brake, pretty much the same system.
    In this instance, I would not bother even using it or adjusting it, use wheel chocks and leave it in gear.

Qavion likes this.