New 360 arriving (I hope) | FerrariChat

New 360 arriving (I hope)

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Bob in Makiki, Jun 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Aloha neighbors!

I have today sent my check off for a 2003 360 Spider F1, currently in Virginia. I am arranging transport to Honolulu, and hope it arrives here safely sometime in July.

I have lived in Hawaii for the past 30 years, and have had a variety of enjoyable cars. This will be my first Ferrari, however.

I look forward to meeting those of you in Honolulu, hopefully with a car of my own soon. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

2. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    Congrats bruddah Bob.

That is my car of choice....would love to see it sometime.

Enjoy.

3. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    Congrats on the Ferrari Bob. Can't wait to see the 360. Let me know if you need advice on shipping. I sent my 355 from San Diego on Pasha. Great experience.

4. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks, Gentlemen.

And thanks for the offer of help on sorting out shipping, Brian. I think I've got a handle on that, but I'll let you know when it is all over. I've shipped a couple of cars with Pasha and have been pleased, but this time I wasn't comfortable with the overland portion, so I'm going to try something a bit different.

It is getting the thing registered with the City and County that I'm worried about! I hope that all goes smoothly.

5. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    First you buy insurance. Then get a safety inspection, which will be failed because of no registration. Then with the failed safety inspection and insurance card in hand, you can go get the registration and new plates. Then you go back to the safety inspection place to get that completed. You should only have to pay for the safety inspection once.

6. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks. The City & County web site is a little unclear on how all this works. I assume I will eventually get it straight. Thanks again!

7. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Pasha is the way to go. Over land, try Intercity Shipping.

Spice is right about the process. Since you are in Makiki, you can go to Ala Moana to do your reg, but many times it is faster in downtown (under King Street) or Hawaii Kai.

8. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Yep, I'm working with Intercity now. Previously Pasha would work with Intercity, so there was one contact for the whole process. Apparently Pasha will no longer do that and now has their own trucks, which was my concern. So, I'll work with Intercity to the West Coast and will go from there.

I still work in downtown so I'll just take care of things at the Satellite City Hall there.

What did you all do about front license plates? With my Jag E-type, the inspectors always let it slide, but with the new electronic inspection system, I'm not sure that will be the case anymore. I am assuming I will need to have a front license plate bracket of some sort installed.

9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
  10. bcb70

bcb70 Karting

Mar 30, 2013
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Brian B
    To be safe and avoid hassle I put a front bracket on my 355.

Let me know if you need an inspection station. I have a guy.

11. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks!

My current plan is just to take it to the dealership, have then do an annual maintenance, and have them inspect the car while it is there. I assume all will go smoothly. But I also assume I'll need to do something (or have them do something) about a front license plate. I will keep you posted!

I have looked at some of the options others have mention and have not had good luck. Carbonio, for example, no longer carries the front plate bracket for a 360, although they still carry them for a number of other models.

I'll find something, I am sure. Thanks again for all of your help and good suggestions!

12. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Bob

On my walk to work, I used to regularly see a pale yellow S1 E-Type on Beretania St. I think it came down Keeaumoku from Makiki. It was a very refreshing sight among all the homogenized "moderns". I would also see the same car in a parking garage downtown when I went to the Fort Street Mall DMV. Was this you??

13. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    #13 Bob in Makiki, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    No, mine was silver. Thanks for asking! They are wonderful cars. I rebuilt mine, with a bare metal repaint in original silver and a new original style interior that Bob Arkus put in for me. It was (and is) lovely. The problem I had with my old Bentley and the Jag was simply finding folks that would work on them. The dealership laughed at me, and Dave at European Autotech passed away. I had a friend from England who would fly in, stay with us, and work on the Bentley! But it became too challenging and I needed to either accept doing all the work myself or sell the cars; I opted for the later. I am hoping the dealership will work on the 360!

Edit: Ah, see note below! I gather you work on Ferraris?? Do you also work on old Jags and Bentleys? If so, I'm sorry I did not know about your skills!

14. renman95

renman95 Karting

Jul 16, 2016
    Oahu, leeward side
    Full Name:
    D8LF
    I laughed.

15. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I'm flying to Roanoke to see the 360 on Thursday. Intercity is coming to pick it up on Friday. So things are moving forward for me! I am quite excited.

I am very grateful for all the good information on FerrariChat, and in particular for the help my neighbors in Hawaii have provided. Thank you!

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Congrats Enjoy in good health :)

17. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
  18. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Larry: I gather from another thread that you work on Ferraris? Is that correct? Can you help with my 360 if needed? I did not know that there were independent mechanics on the Island, and that would be great to know. Thanks!

19. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Bob

I could help on some things on the 360, but not all. I do not have the specialized and expensive diagnostic equipment that is needed for some operations.

PM sent.

Aloha
    Larry

20. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks Larry! I understand completely. I'll look forward to getting to know you.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They will and they are very capable. You will want to join the Ferrari Club of America to get 10% off of service from an authorized dealership! Cheers and Aloha.

22. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I have joined the Ferrari Club of America -- thanks for the recommendation.

And thanks for all the great data you collect for the 360 Gated cars. Mine is an F1, but I appreciate all your hard work.

23. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Aloha Bob! Congrats on finding your first Ferrari! You're going to love it!
    Glad Kev told you about the Ferrari Club discount at the dealer. I service my 430 there and receive excellent service there.
    So when do we get to go to Pier 1 at 7am with all fellow Fchat Hawaii members and welcome your new baby?!
    Very good info from fellow local Fchat members on the registration process. If you had an older vehicle with a short VIN number, you would need to schedule a meet with DOT to get a VIN verification or have an HPD officer complete a VIN verification form. Since our F cars are newer, shouldn't have this dilemma.
    One possible dilemma I foresee however... weight of your car does not happen to be in their books, they will ask you to weight your car in Kalihi and get a weight slip which sucks.
    I dabble in old cars and been fortunate to find the weight in their old books. It's a combo of the lady at the desk being nice enough to make the effort to look for it and which office you're at. Ala Moana was missing some books and Hawaii Kai seemed to have a complete set.
    If you need the weight slip, that'll throw a kink in the registration process as you will not know till you get to the satellite city hall office with your registration.
    If you want to play it safe, call the weigh facility in Kalihi and schedule one the morning you pick up your car and just get it done along with safety check then you're guaranteed to get an instant registration. Oh yes, if the state you are buying from does not have a title and only bill of sale, make sure you get a notarized bill of sale. Do it anyway. There are different rules for each state and our Hawaii office will put a stop of everything is not there.
    Lastly, make sure you fully insure your car and make sure they will cover it in the event the ship sinks. Not all insurances cover it. Horizon Lines (now Pasha), damaged my car to the tune of $7k and I just let my insurance deal with them.

24. Bob in Makiki

Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Thanks Gil! All good information. I noted the issue about weight and was a little concerned. I guess I will see how it goes. If they didn't have your F430, however, they likely won't have my 360. I wonder if I can get a letter with the weight from the dealership? I'll investigate that.

I'll keep you posted on my progress!

25. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I purchased my 430 at the local dealer so I didn't have to weigh that car.
    Just stop into the Satellite City Hall and ask them if they have your car in the books. If not, you'll need to get it weighed.
    They will not accep a letter from the dealer. It's either their books or they have some deal going on with that weigh station lol!
    Good luck!