New 365 GTC/4 Delivered to Hong Kong | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New 365 GTC/4 Delivered to Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by FarEastFerrari, Jan 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I had the car inspected for painting by the guys at Blackbird Automotive in Hong Kong. Man of the people there were from the official Ferrari dealer Auto Italia. They found some rust underneath some of the panels so they will have to take it down to bare metal in some areas to make sure the car is painted well. I am going to choose a period correct dark blue from Ferrari. I'm also going to have the interior redone to a medium tan leather as well as restore the mouse hair on the dash to make everything correct inside. I'm still wondering about the cloth inserts. They are in decent condition but after all the work I am doing I dont think it will look so nice as having 100% leather. I'm inclined to keep the inserts, have them cleaned and vacuum sealed for the next owner if he wants to have them restored. I also think I will replace the mag wheels with Borrani wire wheels to make the car look more refined. I will of course keep the mag wheels for the next owner. I think with the changes the car will look very elegant.

2. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    A short update on this. I discovered that the original paint for this car was Red imported to the UK. Given that it was the original color, I've decided not to change it but just give it a touch up in the areas where the paint is faded or chipped. Since the leather isn't too badly worn and it has the original cloth inserts, I will keep the interior the same and just give it a good detailing. I took her out again and she is smooth. I love this car.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    And from where did you get this information?

4. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    He asked me not to disclose it but there is a book out there with all the old Ferrari VIN numbers, where the cars were delivered and the colors.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This book is not a secret. In fact, the creator is an active participant here. The color listed for 15709 ("red") is the color the car wore at the time that it was "spotted" and at the time of publication, not the original color at time of production.

Here is the original production information for this car:

6. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Wow. Thanks alot! How did you come by this information?

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    The factory has this information for most cars.

8. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I guess changing the paint back to Blue is back on the schedule

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I think that would be a fantastic move. Red is just not a fitting color for this model.

10. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Have a look at the delivery invoices I sent you, it's in there too

11. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thanks Greg. I should have referred to that document.

12. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I totally agree Wayne. The car will look so much better in blue.

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    +1 on original colour...red it's not the ideal colour on this car....congrats, your car is strunning

14. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Looking forward to seeing the blue.

15. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    The car finally went into Blackbird Auto in Hong Kong for painting and interior retrimming. I am painting her back to the original Celeste Gainsboro (Light metallic blue with a slight green tint) but I still feel this car should be painted dark blue or dark metallic blue. However, since I consider myself only a custodian of the car, it is my duty to reskin her in the original birthday colors. Can anyone please send me detailed photos of the interior of the 365 GTC/4? I would like to know what was the original color of the mousehair and how much it covered. I would also like to know how the deck behind the rear seats and the the area underneath the front and rear windows were done originally. My shop guys told me that these areas of the car have been redone in the past (and not too well).

16. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Hi Thomas, try to find yourself a very useful book called "Original Ferrari V12" by Keith Bluemel. ISBN 1-901432-22-X. By a stroke of coincidence the cover picture 275GTB/4 now belongs to the owner of Blackbird Automotive, you might have seen it in Chai Wan?

17. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thanks. I found a used book online in a very good condition and I just ordered it. Yes I did see the 275 GTB/4. It looks wonderful.

18. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Thomas
    Check out the photos of Jeff's car Serial 15505 on the C4 website. That car is correct. It is a USA version and yours is Euro but interior is the same except for "Fasten Seat Belt" warning light I think. He has posted lots of detailed photos. Also Ian's resto website has lots of useful info.
    Ferrari 365 GTC4 restoration Home Page

19. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thank you so much for this link. I'll check it for sure.

20. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I am still torn between Celeste Gainsboro vs. the other colors. I really think the car looks better in a darker blue than the light blue with green tint. What are your opinions about these other 3 metallic blues?

Blue Dino Met
    106-A-72
    Blu Sera Met
    106-A-18
    Blu Ribot

21. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #71 FarEastFerrari, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. sinkman

sinkman Karting

Oct 28, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Phil
    either of your two choice will be excellent. I just transferred my 365 Gt 2+2 from red dick red back to original - Blu Tourbilion (sic)

23. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #73 FarEastFerrari, Jul 14, 2015
    Willen at Blackbird gave me four period correct blue color samples. I decided to go with Blue Sera Metallic. It was the darkest of the metallic blues and I think it will suit the GTC/4 really well. The color is the far left. The next colors are Blue-Dino, Blue Sera and Celeste Gainsbero (the original color). I thought long and hard about the respraying the car in her original colors but I just don’t think it would look as attractive. Maybe time will prove me wrong.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    #74 FarEastFerrari, Jul 14, 2015
    I stopped by the shop today to pick out the color samples for the interior. I decided to keep the original color scheme. Zegna cloth inserts to keep the originality of the car. We will import the leather from the UK. It seems there is a leather company carrying the 'Connelly' branding. It seems that the center consol and the dashboard was not originally 'mousehair' according to the "Original Ferrari V12" book. It seems that the dash was black vinyl and leather. Since I dont want to cover it with vinyl, I will have to go with either mousehair or some other dash material. I've asked some other folks that have restored a GTC/4 recently about what they did. If someone would like to volunteer a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Please enjoy some photos of the beginnings of a repainting job which I believe will take now more than 3 months. The hood and the trunk has the paint already removed. The bumpers have been removed. The front bumper area shows some rusting and some heavy overspray. I'm getting excited!

25. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Thomas, no doubt there are many opinions on the subject of colours of paint and trim so here are mine for what they are worth.

At this point in time, there is a renewed interest in wonderful '70s colours on Ferraris. Celeste Gainsborough is the original colour and looks fabulous on a C4. It will also look good in Azzurro Commerciale (the blue equivalent of Resale Red for Ferraris) but.....

I'm sorry, but I simply don't believe that the original dash/interior was leather and vinyl. If it was, and someone can verify it, I will gladly recant. My strong advice would be to use the best modern equivalent of the original mousehair that you can find (which is probably that supplied by HVL).

Whatever you do with it, it is your car, so enjoy!

Regards

WM