New 400i Coming | Page 12 | FerrariChat

New 400i Coming

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Ferraridoc, Jul 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes. Turning out of a T junction is usually where you scrape the curb or have a near miss. And the right side of the car is the right side of the car - makes sense, really.

2. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    I'm surprised....I thought you were interested in driving a real car....

You know,one with a clutch!

3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Got one of those

4. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Found this while fossicking around the boot. Looks like this car has been in a rally. Targa 1996 to 2002 had similar font. BTW, what is the little rubber strap on the boot board for? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

5. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Just don't get Newman to say Aluminium instead of Aloooooominum!

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nooman!

7. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Pat
    The rubber strap is to hold the boot board in the "up" position, it's clipped on the boot lid, I think there is a picture of it in the your owners manual in the "changing tyres" section.
    Also the rear of boot board is hinged and supposed to be bolted to the boot floor.

M

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Perfect!

9. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just took the back rear spring out (Koni coil-over kit, not the original series 1 thing). I have measured the loaded length at the current (saggy) height, and then jacked it up a bit to get an idea of a more pleasing ride height. I intend to machine up some spacers, as I thought longer/stiffer springs would be a bit hit and miss. I can't find a local source to put an adjustable seat on, and it's probably a bit costly. Thoughts?

Also, having welded up a hole in the LHS collector, I can now hear the pin hole exhaust leak somewhere in the RHS system. I hear the extractors are very thin - are they easily repaired? For that matter, is it difficult to remove them? Not just accessibility, but availability of gaskets, special bolts, or whatever it is they've got. 1979 400i auto.

Thanks.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    If I had to replace my headers I would probably go with a 412 set that lacks the secondary small pipes since mine are capped anyway. Quicksilver probably offers new in both versions as well. The rest of what you need is all available regarding gaskets etc.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    As for shocks I'll just go with aftermarket or get another pair of forward shocks and select springs

12. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #287 Ferraridoc, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Thanks Paul

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Patrick,

I saw a few Ebay Ads where someone has created an aftermarket replacement kit for the original rear load levelers. Here is one I found:

Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 GTC4 GT4 400 Coil over Shocks 1967-1985 QA1 Motorsports | eBay

... however, they want about $2K US (Pair).... T Rutlands also sold a kit based on some custom adapters to Konis for about $1600 (pair).

Also, I seem to remember a thread where someone made their adapter... I will look to see if I can find this thread and if so I will post a follow up.

Cheers,

Sam

14. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day Pat.
    Marc did some exhaust/header welding on mine at some stage,have a yarn to him.
    Are you going up to take mine for a drive at any stage,if so,can you bring it up here????

15. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yeah, I might get him to do the whole thing, as soon as I get this rear end sorted. I'm planning to drive mine up and then drive yours, for a back-to-back comparison. I can't bring it up, but I can store it for you, if you like.

16. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks Sam. That's helped a lot.

17. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #293 Ferraridoc, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Got the back end raised up by machining up spacers (well, one of my patients fabricated them for me). Interestingly, the guy that made them for me has a D-Type replica under his house, that he hand built from scratch. I mean he fabricated the chassis out of tubing, and hand beat an all alloy body for it - it's amazing what some people have tucked away under their houses! Anyway, the ride height is good now.

Another patient is a car broker who actually imported the car in 1979. He went to the factory, and managed to get a photo of my actual car on the assembly line! It sure is a small world.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Is making a noise. I've just opened up the centre console and am now reversing the horrible sins committed by various DPO's and audio installers. While I'm in there, I might see if anything can be done about the fan noise. It looks like the A/C fans are somewhere way down near the ninth circle of hell.

Has anybody ever managed to get at these? Has anybody got a pic of the evaporator/fan unit out of the car? (1979 400i)

19. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Well, after 4 1/2 years, I have moved the 400i on to the next custodian. I can't say it's been a happy experience, but there were a few moments of joy. I was planning a long drive through the alpine region last year, but the Chinese Virus took care of that. Apart from that, the car just wasn't getting driven any more, and would throw up another problem as I fixed the previous one. Thanks to everyone here for your helpful tips.

Al Campbell and Ak Jim like this.