458 - NEW 458 Infotaiment system (upgrade) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

458 NEW 458 Infotaiment system (upgrade)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think it does I have only tried it with the android so far, I'll plug my iPhone in tomorrow but, the big issue is the sound interface for all functions is via fm transmission so it just kills the whole package. I really can not understand how ferrari themselves accepted this as they must have commissioned the third party company to develop the package for them so really its just crazy!
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ash Patel and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    No, it's not ….

3. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So car is booked to go back to the dealer to see if this can be sorted, will post once I have an update

Ash Patel, daflk and tekaefixe like this.
  4. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Even though disappointing can you post a few pictures

tekaefixe and Ash Patel like this.
  5. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    thanks for keeping us updated

tekaefixe likes this.
  6. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The screen mirror is great so this allows you to see your phone screen on the right hand screen next to the rev counter, I set the phone into desktop mode so it's like having a computer or phone on that screen, the only issues are the controls but you use the phone screen as a touch pad. I will post some pics when I head down to the garage

stevdug and daflk like this.
  7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Your feedback and input are very valued and appreciated, Pete.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

8. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    did they change the center console as well? Pics please. Thanks

9. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In terms of hardware, the solution Ferrari found is actually interesting and even somewhat ergonomically elegant. Maybe I was just too pessimistic to begin with: I thought it would look odd and/or feel very much an aftermarket added on thing which, on the whole, in my very humble opinion, it does not.

What it really lets me down are the graphics they chose. Visually, they seem too primitive, simple, ugly even. A Playstation 2 kind of thing.

It may very well be extremely useful and user-friendly to use, I don’t know.

Thank you for sharing with us, Pete. Will be looking forward to hear your valued opinion on the matter.

Meanwhile: Enjoy the match!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

CH_348 likes this.
  10. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks for the pics and the update. I think it looks fine, its just a shame they could not pipe the sound through in someway other than FM?

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks, mate. Does it also come with speciale style bridge for the F1 buttons?

How much does it cost including installation? if you don't mind us asking.

12. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    OK so here is the summary:

1) Touch pad in the middle looks good and feels good to use but, sometimes it does crazy stuff and just exits to the car menu
    2) The system feels too much like a piggy back system and in my opinion should have been more integrated with the existing car interface on the right screen, when you turn it on its a separate connection to the new system and you have to exit the car system to get to it and visa versa, I have not been using it for long but when I put the digital speed up on the right screen it locked and would then not go to either system, I have to turn off the car pull out the key lock the car then unlock it again for normal functionality to work
    3) The graphics are not that bad but they are from the third party system they have not been chosen for ferrari
    4) satnav is still not full postcode which, it think is ridiculous
    5) The fm transmission is appalling and makes the system unusable
    6) The system conflicts badly with the existing systems in the car so you end up connected to both and then they stop working and you have to try and reset the whole thing, I have been driving round with the system off tbh
    7) The approach to this is totally wrong either, lift out the 488 system and put it in or make this system only for cars fitted with the factory ipod option this way there is already a decent input for audio that can be used along side the hdmi input this system comes with, the hdmi input works great besides the lack of decent audio but the touch pad in the car does not control the phones screen so to control it you end up using the phone which is illegal.

tekaefixe and Ash Patel like this.
  13. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's only the touch pad that sits being the existing bridge, it does not change the bridge you already have, £3k but I think that's because no one knew how long it would take to fit so probably cost way more in actual hours, the car was on the ramp for over a week.

Car is doing back in next few days to see if the dealer can make the sound connection better, they are great guys and agreed the fm transmission is not acceptable

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thank you so much @PTG1 for a very informative post, this actually now puts me off doing this upgrade for now

tekaefixe and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  15. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think that is wise whilst we continue to seek a viable work around and post on here, hopefully we should be able to work something out when the car goes back to the dealer, in the mean time I am trying a few things to see if there is anything I can add to the system that will improve things

AlfistaPortoghese and Ash Patel like this.
  16. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    Any update on fixing the sound?

17. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Unfortunately not, no, car goes back on Monday/ Tuesday to have the system stripped out and I get a refund

18. stevdug

stevdug Karting

Feb 4, 2019
    Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Sooo disappointing, but thank you for the details

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    PTG1 - Did your car have navigation and ipod connection fitted from the factory?

20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    @PTG1 sorry to hear about this, wonder if Ferrari will pull this option back as I have not heard anything from my dealer who were supposed to do this on a car a while back and get back to me with an update... maybe they failed also

21. sg1

sg1 Karting

Sep 29, 2012
    PTG1 - Did your car have navigation and ipod connection already fitted from the factory? Would this make a difference to how the updated infotainment system functions?

22. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes car is loaded to the max, I even plugged in my iPhone to check same issue, fm is only sound input, such a shame

23. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I am the only customer with it in the UK all others are dealer demos, the dealer called yesterday and we went through detailed feedback so maybe they will pull it, I tried to help them out to give extra feedback when I go to the factory or Friday but let's see if they take me up on the offer. It could be made to be quite good but the approach just isn't well thought through

24. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They did say if anything new comes out they will let me know and can fit to my car as a trial so let's see what happens, hope they fix the bugs and release an updated version that works great