New 550 finally comes "home" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New 550 finally comes "home"

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by riverflyer, Apr 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Congrats, Titanium 550, way to go ! Welcome to the Maranello community !
    If you already have a nice exhaust note with your sports exhaust note, I'd just leave it as it is and blast thru PCH1 as frequently as I can :)

2. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan, oh, I thought there were two different modular models but was not sure. So the ones in the pic I posted are the 575 mod. wheels and the 550 mod. model is the one with the stepped lip and larger bolts?

3. F-passione

F-passione Karting

Mar 31, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    I think the stock ones look great myself.

4. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, I am beginning to agree. They fit the car well and the color goes tone on tone with the titanium.

5. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    John - congratulations on the beautiful car.

"I have read all the comments about how boring and staid the 550" - please give those comments all the attention they deserve! :) The 550 is one of the most beautiful cars ever created. Period.

IMHO, the stock wheels look perfect.

Joe

6. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    john love the car!!! if you dont have a tubi or equivilent...get one.. it makes a huge difference inthe sound!!!

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Nice "starter" ferrari, dude. GFY (good for you, not" go f.."). I know you've been poking around on the board the last few months gathering data. Its nice to see someone start out, get a base of info and then make an informed choice. I've owned two 550's and they were great.
    I'm not big on the modular wheels, partly cause i think they look too busy (but i tend away from lots of glitzy stuff, including badges, that others find de rigeur) and partly because the set delivered on my barchetta leaked. (They were replaced at no cost by FNA, and i assume you have attended to all the upgrades and recalls for this car, or plan to, including but not limited to the wheels). You are welcome to email me directly, to the extent i can help. [email protected] Regards and enjoy the car. Its a great one.

8. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Beautiful car. Those are some of the nicest photos I've seen of a Ferrari; they show off the lines of the car perfectly.

9. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Whart, thanks for the kind comments. I do try and "inform" myself, especially when spending more $ on a car than I ever thought I would!!! I sent you an email and appreciate the offer. Once again, the generosity and brotherhood, if you will, on this board is great.

10. jbjavaheri

jbjavaheri Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    West L.A.
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm pretty sure that those rims in the second pic are HRE 540's. Just thought I'd let you know :)

11. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Congrat on your purchase of 550. I almost bought it myself, too.

It is hell of a car, gentlemen's 12 cylinders, is what current 550 owners described. I totally agree, and it is also very practical car for daily use, too.

Are you enjoying the drive now?

12. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Hi Dan. Are you sure that there are different modular wheels for the 550 and the 575M. Like Tom, I thought you had only three sets of Ferrari wheels for the 550/575:

(1) The stock 550 wheels
    (2) The stock 575 wheels -- recommended!
    (3) The 19" modular wheels

I don't think there are modular wheels for the 550 and different modular wheels for the 575.

13. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    #38 riverflyer, Apr 12, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, right you are, here is the pic I meant to post!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. felix66

felix66 Karting

Feb 21, 2004
    London
    stunning car - my fave colour for a 550

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    very nice! congrats and enjoy!!!

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    John, I think those BBS' (and the HRE 540's) look wonderful on the 550. I think that the BBS racing series wheels are the best looking wheels on most F and P-cars.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ghost, there are 18 and 19 inch mod wheels that are made. Personally, I think that the 18s look too small on 550/575's and you need the 19s

18. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Ghost, even beyond what Auraraptor has noted, the 18" modulars were standard on the Barchetta and optional on the 550 coupe (I have them as OE on my'01), while the 19" modulars were/are an option on the 575, although they do fit on the 550 as well. Like whart, I have had two of my modular wheels replaced since they leaked, and had I to do it over again, I would have gone with the "standard" wheel, such as I had on my '97 550.

John, I think the stock wheels look awesome on your car!! Don't change a thing, bro!!!

19. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Ghost, I know what you mean, but am unsure what 19" would do to ride quality. Are there any 550 owners on board who have switched to 19" wheels and can comment on handling, ride quality changes?
    rodsky, thanks for the compliments, and of course, I fully agree!

20. twatson

twatson Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Beautiful car. I just got mine in December. I trailered it home from the SF area and on its first drive had a rock hit the windshield. Now after a few months I finally got the windshield from Italy and back in the car last week and hope to be driving it again soon when I get some time. Enjoy it while you can!

21. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Got it. But apart from the size, I assume the design was the same, or very similar?

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, now I see this post was from Auraraptor, so same goes, I agree but wonder about ride quality and handling dynamics. Any 550 owners tried 19's and if so, what were the results. thanks, John

23. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Ghost: Labcars answered it. 4 different wheels (2 sets of modulars).

--Dan

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Congrats, John.l I'm looking forward to seeing you at Monterey.

Take care, Dale