New C8 testing at the Ring | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New C8 testing at the Ring

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Donatella, Sep 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I expect it to be generic when revealed - it’s a $60K Chevy.

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I watched the video 3 times...where does the car look "unstable"?

Boomhauer likes this.
  3. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    I agree on weight, C5 Z under 3100, C6z around 3200, C7 3460 to almost 3700, it makes a difference to some people. Me, I do notice weight on the track, having a GT350 Shelby exemplifies this for me, others say it loses some of that weight at speed, not me, it always feels like a big heavy car.....does it handle great for a big heavy car, sure. Just no comparison to the "feel" of my 360 or C6Z, even though the GT350 will run the 360 off the track...

I do think the ME Vette will weigh more than we would want, but many of the new cars do, safety/electronics/stereos, etc. mandated weigh items. I think the ME Vette will be on my list after a year or two, when bugs are worked out and the mark ups quiet down.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

We agree on much. However Maclarenand ferrari to name two have managed to build cars that weight 2800-3100lbs with all the modern safety electronics etc. I think the Gt3 is 3100 and the GT4 around 3klbs. Sure the the ferrari and Maclren come in at a higher price point(Gt4 does not), but the ferrari and porche are not even a CF tub. If were comparing the new mid engined vette would I compare it to a 911 a 570s, thats the pormise, so the weight does matter. Sometimes its maybe like this car is 10 years too late, the others did overweight and overpowered a decade ago.

In my powderkeg I have 125-180k waiting for the next faster car to the fleet. For me any fast car besides a pure Gt or luxury car has to be able to run on track durably and competantly. My mind has been on the mooted GT4RS, under 3klbs mid engined and 450hp 9k revs etc. To me thats car to buy savor and keep for a lifetime.

Then I see a pic of the C8R and it gets me thinking, will it weight 3klbs with its 650hp Na quad cam v8, because such a car would be a no brainer, the performance step up would negate my thought that a vette is likely to be a less long haul car than a Gt4.

crinoid likes this.
  5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Ferrari and McLaren "managed" to build cars between 2800-3100 pounds for $300,000
    Expecting a $70,000 Corvette to pull off the same trick is ridiculous.
    And note that the FRONT ENGINE Ferraris (those closest to the C7 in design) are crowding 4,000 pounds (not bad...about $100/pound)

BJK, anunakki and rdefabri like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And porche built a GT3 for 140k and a GT4 for 85k. The Gt4 is I believe right around 3klbs.
    The C5 and C6 weighed far less. IMO GM got lazy on the C7, weight went up due to this but they figured with more hp and better paper numbers the punters wouldnt know or care, something you ably amplify, so I dont expect different for the mid engined car..

If the mid engined car is supposed to be a bang for the buck ferrari killer, then yes weight is part of it, because now thats a reckognized performance metric. We also know ferrai makes $80k per car and the delalers similar wedge, so theyre really building it for 150k and restricting volume to to amp up margins, (something we should be glad vette is not doing).

In other ways we can compare the vette to a lotus evora. The both use metal frames and composite bodypanels, utilizing modified off the rack motors. Lotus with far less resources, less acess to engineerign departments or the dealer network and resultant volume etc makes the car for 100k and latterly a profit on far less volume in car weighting in at 3100lbs or 3000 depedning on spec.
    So porche and Lotus to name two can make a powerful 3000lbs mid engined car in the price range or less.

Lastly yes the front engined ferraris which are really just luxury GTs weigh more than the front engined vette, so what, the mid engined vette is reputed to weigh more than the front engined one, and thats the salient point.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    360 mates with an aventador, derivative but nice, same as the C7 is way nicer than a F12.. Its not always who did a design first that counts but who did it best.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The C7 was the C6 meets the Gallardo.

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Huh?

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    F12 nicer than C7. No question.

crinoid likes this.
  12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Funny, Im not saying this to be difficult, but the side intakes are part of what make it for me.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    To me, the side intakes kind of make it look two different cars were mated together. The front looks nice and slender, but the rear looks huge.

That said, I keep watching the Ring testing videos and am liking it more and more. The more I watch the videos, the more I can see the car through the camo. I think it's going to look better in color than I initially thought.

rdefabri likes this.
  15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    In that case, I think (!) you're going to be disappointed.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The front and rear made the C5 look like two cars glued together. So did the Tr in a way.
    Still no reason for a non harmonious design, other than maybe competing comite interests.

Whether one likes his designs or not, there is no way that something as disharmonious as the C5 would have come out in Mitchells reign.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yes I am preparing myself to be dissapointed, hopefully Im wrong, but I also know that with the corvette teams talent, what could be.

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It was awkward leaving the carousel, but I think that was the driver, not the car.

Sounds like a pushrod V8, and no flat plane crank. Not really inspiring.

rdefabri likes this.
  19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Base version, pushed v8 and softy suspension

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Makes sense.

21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Thats some really amateur rendering so Im guessing not :D

Those are the ugliest side intakes Ive ever seen but they do match the camo cars. But my guess is, as mentioned above, its to distract from the real shape.

crinoid and jm2 like this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Except the C8R undisguised had the same shape intakes.
    To me the C8R is a real looker, hope they make a street version like that.
    The intakes on the renmderings are not quite correctly placed.