New Cali owner getting "Trunk Open" message after putting top up??? | FerrariChat

New Cali owner getting "Trunk Open" message after putting top up???

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Federal man, Apr 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I am excited to have recently purchased my first Ferrari! It is a 2014 Cali-30 red/tan with HS Pkg and 10K miles.

I have noticed on a few occasions that after I put the top back up I get the "Trunk Open" message on the dash. So I have to get out and close it properly. There has never been anything in the trunk that could interfere with the operation. Fortunately I bought the New Power Warranty and it covers the top mechanism. However, I would appreciate any feedback from others who have experienced this same problem. I searched the Forum and couldn't find anything related.

Thanks in advance!

2. f1ngerman

f1ngerman Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Muhaha Nyehehe
    Almost the same problem here. Mine is a ‘11 Cali and happens after I open the top. I got the car just this January, hasn’t been back to the dealership as I live a bit far away. Will wait till one year service as I also have the two year factory warranty. In the meantime, if you figure out the solution, plz let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Federal man likes this.
  3. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    Same thing happens to me when closing. Was also going to mention it when I take my car into service.

Another thing I noticed is that after pressing the trunk open button, I can hear the mechanism constantly cycling until I actually open the trunk. Does that happen to you too?

4. f1ngerman

f1ngerman Rookie

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Muhaha Nyehehe
    Yeap, the cycling is there too until I open the trunk. I guess this is a common problem. Thankfully just annoying and not a dealbreaker.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ditto. It seems to do whatever it does, make noise, until you life up the boot lid. Have not seen the other warning message (knock on wood!).
    T

6. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hi All,

Had the same issue. I am picking up my car from the dealer tomorrow for this very issue. See the attached from the invoice. There are small plungers that control the motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Thanks Chris for your timely response! It seems like we have 2 issues being discussed here. My original one of just the trunk remaining ajar and getting the warning message on my dash after putting the top back up and then others added that their power trunk closing motor runs when they pop their trunk. Personally I have not experienced the trunk motor running. Can use please clarify which of these 2 conditions you are addressing?

8. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    I had my wife set in the car and operate the top up and down a few times so I could get my eyeballs on what was happening. To my laymen's eyes it "Appears" like the glass section contacts the trunk deck with such force that it acts like a teeter-totter and as it pushes down on the top front area, the rear lower area raises so much the trunk closing motor can't grab it and close it. I have no idea if this is actually what the problem is but it just appears that way. I will try it a few more times in the light on Saturday to test my hypothesis. This is all just amateur speculation and I know I will ultimately have to take it in to the dealer for a proper adjustment.

9. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Originally I had the motor replaced because when the boot lid closed it kept on clicking and the same when opening the boot. Dealer changed the motor.

Then I started to get the boot open light when I cycled the roof open and closed. Took the car back to the dealer and this was their fix.

Thanks,

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Hypothesis confirmed...I simply held my finger on the top of the trunk lid near the back and held it down/in place when the rear window glass contacted the front top of the trunk deck and let it finish it's cycle. No Trunk Open warning message and all is good. Unfortunately this is all purely academic because I will still have to bring it in for a proper adjustment. I will be curious to learn what they actually do to fix it.

tomc likes this.
  11. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    Had identical issue in my 10 Cali outside of warranty. Brought it to the dealer - after a $325 charge for labor, they adjusted trunk sensors and no more "trunk open". Only happened 3/5 times when closing but very annoying.

Federal man likes this.
  12. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  13. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Willl and Federal man like this.
  14. ferrari52000

ferrari52000 Rookie

Jul 16, 2014
    Newtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    These are actually located on the boot lid at the edge where the boot meets the trunk deck towards the rear of the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Federal man likes this.
  15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All you have to do to fix this is have your dealer widen the gap around the seam of the trunk lid. The line won't be perfect anymore but it'll close properly. Sucks but there's ferrari build quality for ya. Had the same thing on mine.

16. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    Do you have a photo of this fix? Not sure I am following you. Are you saying they need to make a better provision for the air to escape when the top comes back down so it doesn't cause the trunk to pop up as the air is looking for a place to escape? Kind of like how the door glass retracts 1/2" before you close it.

17. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    No, nothing to do with air. Think the line, the gap between your hood and your fender or your fender and your door. Normally it's like 1/8th of an inch. My dealer fixed my problem by widening that gap on the trunk lid, loosening it for lack of a better term, to dunno 1/4-1/2 an inch.

Federal man likes this.
  18. D-Gunz

D-Gunz Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    David W.
    was this an adjustment to the "popper" pictured above? how was this adjustment made? I'm having the SAME issue where my trunk stay's slightly popped open after I put the top up and down, and I have to get out to gently push the trunk shut (so annoying!)