New Cali owner with a few basic questions | FerrariChat

New Cali owner with a few basic questions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by BobbyBilly, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BobbyBilly

BobbyBilly Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Robert Williams
    Hi. I am new to the thread and new to Ferrari ownership. I recently purchased a 2011 California. Grigio Titanio with Nero interior and Daytona seats. She’s a beaut. I have a silly question. I can’t figure out how to release the rear seat backs to access the boot. I don’t see a latch. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, Beach Boy, 695 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Folding rear seatbacks was an option. On my Portofino,the folding seatbacks have to be unlatched from the trunk.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  4. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Welcome and
    Congratulations on the Cali !

5. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Ha, funnily enough I had the same problem when I bought mine. In the boot on either side is a latch which releases the rear seat backs

6. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    I spent a while trying to find the latches when I picked up my Cali a few weeks ago. Thinking that they'd near the drop down panels I was hunting everywhere. When I found them of course it made sense that they'd be somewhere that would be easy to reach with the roof down.

On the newbie questions, does anyone else have issues with the boot release on the key fob being intermittent regardless of which key I'm using? Mine is so random I pretty much ignore it and use the floor release.

7. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Even with fresh batteries, sometimes I have to hold down the button on the key fob and move it around to get the trunk release to activate. I figure maybe it’s a combination of the location of the receiver and the signal strength of the transmitter. Also, I have to be within a few feet of the car to activate the door locks, again even with new batteries in the fob.

Wait until you try to open the trunk with the key bayonet. You have to turn it so hard you’ll swear you’re going to break something.

mrmicks likes this.
  8. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I don’t bother with the key fob to unlock the trunk, I just hit the release above the license plate. Changed my key batteries which didn’t improve the range.

9. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Your car have a feature mine doesn’t?

10. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    The T has a button underneath there that pops the trunk lid, pretty sure the Cali 30 did, too.

11. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My ‘13 Cali 30 doesn’t. I wish it did.

12. BobbyBilly

BobbyBilly Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Robert Williams
    Same fir
    Next Q.
    Car came with only one key and no key card. Thoughts on best way to get a second key?

13. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Next Q.
    Car came with only one key and no key card. Thoughts on best way to get a second key?[/QUOTE]

Ferrari dealers can provide keys.

14. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I find a double tap on the remote button works every time........

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Bill Phillips likes this.
  15. BobbyBilly

BobbyBilly Rookie

Sep 10, 2021
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Robert Williams
    Ferrari dealers can provide keys.[/QUOTE]

Update. I shopped two dealerships. Numbers rounded to nearest hundred. One quoted $1600 for a new key and the card. Another quoted $1200. All they have to do is verify that you are the rightful owner of the car and then order the key from Ferrari USA. My advice to the group is get on the phone and make a couple of calls if you need a second key. Some dealers will apply a huge markup just to try to squeeze every last $ you are willing to pay, or simply to discourage you from calling them unless it’s to buy a new car.

Neither quote included the cost to visit my local dealership and have the key synced to the car.

16. Bill Phillips

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ditto.

And Ditto also on manually opening the trunk! Turn the key clockwise and it helps if someone pushes down while you turn the key. And, by the way, the key hole is in an awkward position to boot, pun intended.

Congrats on the new Californias everyone!

T

Bill Phillips likes this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Update. I shopped two dealerships. Numbers rounded to nearest hundred. One quoted $1600 for a new key and the card. Another quoted $1200. All they have to do is verify that you are the rightful owner of the car and then order the key from Ferrari USA. My advice to the group is get on the phone and make a couple of calls if you need a second key. Some dealers will apply a huge markup just to try to squeeze every last $ you are willing to pay, or simply to discourage you from calling them unless it’s to buy a new car.

Neither quote included the cost to visit my local dealership and have the key synced to the car.[/QUOTE]

I played close to the second amount about a year and change ago. My key got wonky and I just didn't want the stress of only a single key. Fortunately, Boardwalk was running a COVID19 19% off service special, which saved me a few hundred bucks!

Welcome to the madness. Ain't nothing cheap on these cars!

T

Bill Phillips and alex like this.