New Daily Driver for less than $40k? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Daily Driver for less than $40k?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by L8Braker, Nov 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I have a neat little MB -it's a '04 C 320C, 6 speed, panorama roof. According to the computer having an average speed of 65 mph it was showing 29.4 mpg - not bad. It was special ordered from Germany because of the color and transmission. Definitely in your range and it can get you where you need to be in a hurry in comfort and class. "Kermit" (Citron Green) is not my daily driver - that's a 4x4 Chevy pick up. Occasionally Kermit goes to work but usually we have weekend fun with it - two weeks ago we went rallying and before that we went on a fall leaf tour.

Carol

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Can't go wrong with a Madzaspeed Miata. Almost more fun than...

3. tubeguy

tubeguy Formula 3

May 21, 2003
    Upland California
    Full Name:
    Kevin Deal

If you really want a sports car feel and not worry about speed bumps a 996 is super. It is not as "relaxing" on long trips. The M3 is better though sprung stiff. But it has everything you need at a touch. Cup holders. Great sound system. Superb seats and steering wheel. Gobs of fun.

I am almost tempted to buy another new M3 because I love the one I have so much, and know they are on their way out.

As to dealer and company service...BMW is way better than Porsche or Ferrari. Nothing compares.

4. PrancingHorseFan

PrancingHorseFan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2004
    delaware
    how about an m5. very practical, you might have to spend very close to the 40 but i think you should look into one. if not that then how about an s2000, or a 350z.

5. 1 BAD BURB

1 BAD BURB Karting

Oct 14, 2004
    Minnetonka, MN
    Full Name:
    Aj ....
    i think the M3 is an awesome car to go with. although, if u want to have the car that all the rich men buy their wives so that they can look hot and sexy..go for the M3. The NSX is a waste..old and outdated, performance in that is crap as well... the vette, pure american muslce! it outperformed the M3 in every aspect. plus, its cheaper! now if u want a deal on one of these, there are a ton around, so pricing is fairly cheap.

if ur interested, a buddy of mine is selling his 02 Z06, Vortech charger and a bunch of other nice mods. he did 540rwhp, and i saw him do it, so i can vouch for him. he is askin 35g's... personally, i would pick it up, but its MN, and winter is now here..

either way, best bang for the buck, the Vette, hands down!
    Aj

6. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    #31 FIAutoSports, Nov 21, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    New car for under $40K? I wholly recommend the Infiniti G35C (Coupe). The power has been bumped up for 05 to 290hp, has a 6sp trans, in-dash/retractable nav system.

In addition, it is highly modifiable. In Japan, it is known as the Skyline and has a host of parts which are direct bolt on's as well.

Plus they hold their resale value better than any car I have seen.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    g35 coupe is nice, refined and quick. i would have said volvo s60r with awd and 300hp, but chalk that up to volvo love. then again drive it, you'll be surprised, they are very reliable too. not gonna fly about like a wrx or evo, but then again they are so common by now.

under 40k and reliable, and fun...

think for 1k and if you know how to work a vcr, you can do an engine chip upgrade, on just about any car, it is that simple...

z06 is a kick and oddly enough somewhat fuel efficient, it blows me away what my dad gets in his.

8. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    That Volvo you talk about "S60R" those are sweet, they look great, racy and classy at the same time. I love them, maybe some day.

9. FIAutoSports

FIAutoSports Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD, US
    Full Name:
    John Ritenour
    S60R is a good car. But comparably, I think the G35C 6sp would be more fun for that price range.

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    S60R, G35's are all over the roads. Besides, the S60R has a better fit and finish in addition to beeing a sleeper.

11. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    See what I mean? You already have a great daily driver. From someone driving a 1988 car, (bmw 750) the fact that it's 3 years old just means it's getting broken in :)

12. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John

I bought two used cars from the Mini Dealer here and loved it both times. I was in and out in less than two hours on both occasions. No sales pitch or pressure to buy warranties etc. Just offered them what I wanted to pay and drove the cars home. Can't speak about buying a new one or their service department though.