New Dino in motor trend March issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New Dino in motor trend March issue

Discussion in '206/246' started by detltu, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Absolutely winning the race has never caused a problem with the current Dino!, and I love the concept. Personally (and you guys are going to go nuts at this comment) they have asked for too MUCH horsepower.

It only needs 250 and like a Lotus to be real minimal. Otherwise you are getting to close to a F360 is power, size and cost.

A 2 litre screaming v6 would be perfect ... and owe the sound!

I also think the sketch is great ... far better than what Pininfarina have been producing lately ... including the Enzo which will never go down as a great bit of styling.

Pete

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I made no mention of speed but of course you're right that has nothing to do with it becuase we all know a Z06 crushes a 360 on a track right now. Speed is not the issue.

My whole point was the effect on the factory that a dramatically lower cost Ferrari and what it would mean to their fixed production volume and the headaches that go with competing with 10+ other sports cars at similar price points.

A better example than the previous Dino would be the Boxster experiment by Porsche.

Is the Boxster a success? Porsche's books say so and the reason why is because they had enough volume capacity with the Finnish plant to satisfy demand without hurting the other cars in their heirarchy. You could argue that the Boxster has actually ruined Porsche's previously highend brand by devaluing it, that's not for me to say and is outside the scope of this post.

3. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Road and Track had a concept sketch of a "future" dino to be produced by Ferrari back in a 1991 Ferrari Special issue. I don't think it will ever happen, it would be nice if they could just make an attractive Maserati that has the performance to match the likes of the GT3 and Z06.

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Well, maybe this would be a good opportunity for FIAT to make some profit. God knows they need it! If I remember correctly, the FIAT factory produced the engines for the original Dino. Maybe they could do it again and put them together also. Again Mako99, I'm not arguing with you. You are probably right. I just love the idea! :)

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

The Z06 doesnt crush the Modena on the track. I have seen track test where both won...

The boxster didnt ruined highbrand image..the 914 , then the 924 had already done that.

I dont think this would ruin the brand image if it sticks close to its core image..Driving experience, pleasure etc...

A lightweight V8/V6 Dino could do that..

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I would love to see another Dino come out.It wouldn't hurt ferrari prestige as much because it doesn't really wear the ferrari badge.I doubt it will happen though.Ferrari-Maserati don't seem interested in the sub 100K catagory.I wouldn't mind a entry level maserati either.

7. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    I won't debate the absolute a$$whipping I've personally seen, ridden in, and driven out here at Willow's big course that the Z06 puts on a stock 360. That's fine, it doesn't have anything to do with my post anyway.

As far as brand image, again, I said nothing about this ruining Ferrari's brand. I mentioned Porsche and left it open to debate. At this point Ferrari's brand is strong enough to where they could come out with Ferrari Underoos and Ferrari leafblowers and the brand would still be fine. :)

And finally, the debate isn't over how successful a new Dino would be, or whether we want one. Of COURSE it would be successful and of COURSE we'd all want one. I just meant to float some reasons why Ferrari certainly isn't about to go this course because of logistical and practical problems.

Go buy an Elise. It's close enough.

For me I anxiously await the 360's replacement. Curious to see how they handle the threat from the Gallardo and others.

8. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    The original Dino was supposed to be a brand of it's own. Fiat could certainly use a pick me up in terms of image. Anyway I think it is cool and would be able to afford one of these before any other new ferrari.

9. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Exactly. Ferrari could design and engineer the car and Fiat could build it. I don't know if the numbers would ever work but I know that I would be a buyer. And I know that there would be plenty of others like me. :)

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

This statement is not meant to start flames. I would love a 246 GT and spent a long time looking for one several years back. My understanding is the Dino was your girlfriend/wifes ferrari.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    A few points. Motor Trend often comes out with stuff like this and it rarely turns out to be correct.
    Ferrari is capacity constrained and IMHO that will not change radically.
    The jury is still very much out on their Maserati venture.
    The euro/$ is as Luca pointed out still a problem. Look at Maser. The quattro is 104K Euro's. That will be higher in $'s. A "Dino" built in euro's and sold (40%) in $ wouldn't be as cheap as MT infers.
    IMHO making the next generation of Ferrari's better is where they will spend their considerable talents.

12. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I think its a great idea. Ferrari needs to again make it's top Ferrari brand all 12 cylinder cars and any non-12 cars branded either Dino, Maserati or Alfa Romeo IMHO. And all the insecure folks that buy one can change the badging to Ferrari like was done with the 308GT4. ha ha ha. If enough badges are changed Ferrari will then rebadge them with Ferrari like they did with the 308/328/348/355/360 series.

13. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    I'd love to see it.

I'd love to see them continue a few of the oldies..

14. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Would the new Dino be the "affordable" Ferrari. If it sells w/a V6, they would have to sell it for less the $100k.

I think the price should be comparible to a 911 Carrera 2.

What do you guys think.

15. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I think that they would put Porsche out of business if they put out a car badged as a Dino that could compete head on with the Carrera 2. Then again, maybe not. Porsche is a truck manufacturer now. :)

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It's unlikely that the most profitable car mfg. existant P will be "put out of business"
    It's also unlikely F will badge their V-10 F1 cars as "Dinos"
    Once again there are 12 cly. Dino's and that doesn't change no matter how many times Frank posts that only 12's are Ferrari's.

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This car will NEVER be badged a Dino if it saw the light of day. Ferrari already has a sub-$100k brand: Maserati. They're having so much trouble getting that stabilized (and priced right) that they're not going to compete with themselves. I can't see Luca going for it.

There short term problem is that they need to advertise some more mainstream for Maserati, like Porsche does (TV, sports shows, late night, Time mag et al). Even my wife notes that nobody can recognize a Maserati (she likes the spyder)... I've said before here that the brand recognition just isn't there like it is for the 911/Boxster shape (granted, that's been around for 35 years+, but the Maser marketing has been just too passive). People need to hear it's nice throaty exhaust too.

Maybe a Superbowl commercial would be in order.

18. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    James,

Please, let me dream! Even if it will always be just a dream, the thought of it is making my day a little brighter! :)

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    "Never stop dreaming. Once you do you may still exist but you're no longer living..."
    Mark Twain

20. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i love the car and the concept. only problem is why bring back the dino marque. this type car needs to be called a maserati. will give easier target for maserati to compete with. pure sports car fans will accept ital car deficiencies for better styling, sound, etc. luxury car buyers will not give maserati the nod over jaguar, mb, range rover etc. basic sports car much better idea than the truck, sedan they are bringing to market which will do as poorly as their current cars.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's an interesting idea.

22. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    I think the Dino Marque has a great (but small) following. I think it would sell well. Does Ferrari need to do it? no
    Will Ferrari do it? probably not.
    But I would definatly like to see it. I'm not really crazy about maserati (although the enzo based car is pretty cool)and would much rather pay the same money for a dino.

23. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    Porsche sales are in fact falling.. The Cayanne may have something to do with it I think..

So if Ferrari were to infact build this vehicle this moment, we would see Porsche take a huge plung.

As for the Maserati comment. You do make sense.. Why would Ferrari sell something that would affect their sister companies sale..

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ron
    The Cayenne is a huge profit maker for P. It's sales have offset a decline in 911 and boxter sales. They are increasing Cayenne production.
    They remain the most profitable car co.
    Maserati and Ferrari aren't sister co's. They are the same co. They are simply differsnt brands.

25. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The sketch is not bad, but the old one is 10000x more sleeker.

Personally, I think Masi should make a track-orientated car like the elise as well, similar weight, more HP (250-300) and priced around 60k.